Mt Vernon
✟8,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, this self-introduction boils down to the question: How are you supposed to live joyfully in Christ when you don’t like other people? (The long version of the question follows.)

I was baptized two years ago after about twenty years of searching and sinning. Since then I've had some ups and downs, including being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Not the kind of bipolar diagnosis that you get when you tell your doctor you're depressed, but the kind of that comes after an arrest and before an involuntary stay in a behavioral health center. I mention that because it’s relevant to the question I’m working up to.

As far as Christian sanctification goes, I’m finding that a lot of my difficulty seems to be due to the fact of my personality that I don’t like being around people that much. The presence of other people, especially crowds, makes me anxious and irritable, and small talk causes me a lot of stress. I plaster on a smile and suffer through it and breathe a sigh of relief (and sometimes mutter a curse) when they go away. In actual dialogue with others I tend be formal and polite because I’ve learned to disguise my intense desire to flee. As far as something like after-service fellowship goes, I’d rather scrub toilets.

I hasten to add that I’m not completely dysfunctional, and I have no malice toward others and no violent thoughts. I hold down two jobs and I’m a loving, but imperfect, husband and father. When I’m inside my own house my anxiety goes down, and my generalized anti-social inclinations don’t apply to my wife and kids. By the grace of God we are a loving and supportive family. As far as everyone else, I want the best for everybody, and to be left alone.

The hard part is I know something is wrong with me. I know you’re not supposed to be anxious around other people. I know you’re supposed to enjoy chatting with others. I know you have be able to talk to other people to get ahead in work and life. Being intensely anxious in social situations is not a good thing, and I want desperately not to feel this. It’s exhausting.

I believe my problem is a problem of the heart, but I recognize the complexity of the matter and I will say that I’ve been medicated and I’ve been in therapy, and they’ve both done jack squat. Youtube videos on confidence and assertiveness and all that stuff can provide some tactical pointers, but they do nothing to address the underlying issue.

I’ve prayed about this many times. It seems that in reply God skeptically poses the question, “You really want to love your neighbor as yourself?” And my answer is: “No, no I don’t. That sounds like communism.”

I’ve got other problems too but that’s enough for my self-introduction. Thanks for reading.

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a total hermit. Never married and no friends. I hardly talk to people. Any interacting I do is like putting on an act. That's just simply the way I'm wired. God still works through me to help me help others here and there.

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know who told you that you had to like small talk, gatherings, crowds or even other people to be 'normal' or a Christian.

Consider embracing the fact that you like what you like, don't like what you don't like and don't allow yourself or others to put labels on every single thought and behavior.

Welcome, too. Hope you find what you're looking for here!

Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,727.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

0f850fba0aced026357cca14c3afc50b_(4).gif

Welcome to Christian Forums!

LORD, those who know you will trust in You.
You have never deserted those who look to You.
Psalms 9:10

"Here is what I am commanding you to do:
Be strong and brave.
Do not be terrified.
Do not lose hope.
I am the LORD your God.
I will be with you everywhere you go."

Joshua 1:9

"Judah, listen to me!
People of Jerusalem, listen to me!
Have faith in the LORD your God.
He'll take good care of you.
Have faith in his prophets.
Then you will have success."

2 Chronicles 20:20

Some trust in chariots.
Some trust in horses.
But we trust in the LORD our God.

Psalms 20:7

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am an extreme introvert and I think I understand where you are coming from. As Christians we ARE called to be in community with other Christians. Honestly, though, I think that's *supposed* to be hard - for everyone, not just introverts and misanthropes. Being a sinful, fallen human and being in community with a whole group of sinful, fallen humans is hard. It's meant to be hard.

Edited to add that I have come to enjoy fellowship with others at my church. It is rewarding, nourishing. And still challenging!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If you are genuine Christian: Be patient. You want what God wants.

In the past I was the same way. Very introverted. Social anxiety controlled me. Generally didn’t like most people. Didn’t like the ones I was given, was always given ones who were hard for me. Very bitter, but mostly sad. Then one day, something changed. I will spare you the story b/c you need to find it yourself.

God tells his people he will give them a new heart, a heart of stone will become a heart of flesh. The dry bones will get flesh. The potter is molding the clay into something beautiful.

Are you involved in a good church?

Also, no, it’s not communism. Genuine Christians believe God works in the heart of individuals, something like communism is just checking a box to make you think you’re being holy but you’re not really being genuine, your heart hasn’t changed. It's an external-in approach instead of internal-out, it doesn't solve anything. Genuine Christians believe it’s more than giving materially, it’s speaking to your neighbor’s soul, the communists cannot give that. That you seem to understand this tells me you’re on the right path to clearing the problem in your thread’s tilte.
You cannot be a Christian communist: the communists have always said Christianity s the one thing that they had a hard time overcoming, they resist it b/c they know it's not genuine, tho they incorrectly say 'why do you hate people' & call us names

I agree Christians don’t have to be super-outgoing, many are not, they just don't have the desire & that's fine, God won’t hold it against a genuine Christian, but when we just want to hide in our homes & shun people, we are denying the power of the Spirit to allow him work in our lives. God calls us to more than that

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hello, this self-introduction boils down to the question: How are you supposed to live joyfully in Christ when you don’t like other people? (The long version of the question follows.)

I was baptized two years ago after about twenty years of searching and sinning. Since then I've had some ups and downs, including being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Not the kind of bipolar diagnosis that you get when you tell your doctor you're depressed, but the kind of that comes after an arrest and before an involuntary stay in a behavioral health center. I mention that because it’s relevant to the question I’m working up to.

As far as Christian sanctification goes, I’m finding that a lot of my difficulty seems to be due to the fact of my personality that I don’t like being around people that much. The presence of other people, especially crowds, makes me anxious and irritable, and small talk causes me a lot of stress. I plaster on a smile and suffer through it and breathe a sigh of relief (and sometimes mutter a curse) when they go away. In actual dialogue with others I tend be formal and polite because I’ve learned to disguise my intense desire to flee. As far as something like after-service fellowship goes, I’d rather scrub toilets.

I hasten to add that I’m not completely dysfunctional, and I have no malice toward others and no violent thoughts. I hold down two jobs and I’m a loving, but imperfect, husband and father. When I’m inside my own house my anxiety goes down, and my generalized anti-social inclinations don’t apply to my wife and kids. By the grace of God we are a loving and supportive family. As far as everyone else, I want the best for everybody, and to be left alone.

The hard part is I know something is wrong with me. I know you’re not supposed to be anxious around other people. I know you’re supposed to enjoy chatting with others. I know you have be able to talk to other people to get ahead in work and life. Being intensely anxious in social situations is not a good thing, and I want desperately not to feel this. It’s exhausting.

I believe my problem is a problem of the heart, but I recognize the complexity of the matter and I will say that I’ve been medicated and I’ve been in therapy, and they’ve both done jack squat. Youtube videos on confidence and assertiveness and all that stuff can provide some tactical pointers, but they do nothing to address the underlying issue.

I’ve prayed about this many times. It seems that in reply God skeptically poses the question, “You really want to love your neighbor as yourself?” And my answer is: “No, no I don’t. That sounds like communism.”

I’ve got other problems too but that’s enough for my self-introduction. Thanks for reading.
I'm an INTJ personality, which means I'm very introverted. Like you, I can't stand crowds, to the point I have to leave church early most of the time. I work within a school system and have to take vacation days when they have certain programs and special events that involve big crowds. You get about 300 people or more in a building with me and my anxiety is so great I'm ready to fight.

I do suspect that GOD can change your personality if you so desire, but for the mean time just understand that aspect about yourself and try to adjust the situation whenever possible to avoid the anxiety attack.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello, this self-introduction boils down to the question: How are you supposed to live joyfully in Christ when you don’t like other people?

Continue to do what works for you! :blush:

Though we may all be Christians, we are not all the same ... we are not all wired the same. And God knows this about us.

Because bipolar disorder can potentially affect all aspects of a person's life, managing the condition and its symptoms ... like anxiety ... needs to be a priority for those living with it. You appear to know all that, and are taking good care of yourself by avoiding situations that you know are overly stressful for you.

The fact that you are part of a loving and supportive family is a real blessing for all of you.
I would continue to do what is working for you and your family, and not 'stress out' on trying to become more social.
There will continue to be many opportunities for God to work your sanctification, right there within your family life relationships.

Welcome to CF!

Reactions: Margaret3110
Upvote 0

Psalmofmercy

Oct 26, 2023
California
Visit site
✟1,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi, happy to have you here. It sounds like you're going through some struggles with your mental health (bipolar) as well as liking other people. Carl Jung famously said the things we dislike in others are aspects of ourselves that we are critical of. Do you find this to be true of yourself?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,567.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Welcome friend. It sounds like you have the heart it. Living your neighbor as yourself is difficult for us all. Remember love is a verb. And the only way to get better at it is by action. He don't have to be a communist to love. In fact communism isn't love but slavery. Start small, do little things and you will grow. Growing only happens one step at a time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ephesians321

Oct 24, 2023
Riverside
✟5,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Being a Christian is all about transformation and it is often quite gradual as the Holy Spirit empowers and convicts the heart. Continue to participate in fellowship and keep focused on Christ. I don't know how you feel about opening up with the church members about it because its a personal matter. But your intent is not to be rude and abrupt, neither why one maybe choose to distance and isolation themselves amongst pews or feel compelled to scuttle once the services are finished due to social anxiety issues. But know this, nobody is judging you or examining you, spirit-filled believers only desire to welcome and love new members. Keep focused on Christ and let Him be your rock. May the Spirit fill you with joy and peace. We all are a work in progress.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

The answer is very simple. It comes by revelation from the Lord. I received it in 1969 when I stood in the middle of a park at 11pm, looked up and introduced myself to the Lord. He suddenly became real to me, and the message I got from Him was that He loved me as I were with all my faults and shortcomings. Even while I was a sinner, His enemy, He loved me and gave Himself to suffer and die on the Cross to take away the penalty for my sins and give me eternal life. Now I am His friend, I am more assured of His continuing love for me. From 1969 until 2023, I have had unbroken fellowship with Him. He has been a true friend who has stuck closer to me than a brother.

But I just like you. I am far from perfect. I know I can never be perfect. My mouth regularly gets me into trouble and I have a wacky sense of humour. I love Far Side cartoons. I often miss opportunities to share my faith because I don't know what to say to people. Although I am not perfect, I have faith in a perfect Saviour. He is perfect for me and I trust in His perfection. And you can too.

How do you overcome your difficulties? Forget about them. You can't do anything to make yourself acceptable to Jesus, so give up trying to improve yourself. Give yourself along with all your faults and failings to Jesus. Trust in His perfection and find ways of serving others in His Name. I learned the guitar so I could serve Him with music. Then I did a course in Corporate Accounting and became the church treasurer. I am in a small church that has 10 people to a Sunday morning service. I serve that church by just being there on a Sunday morning, otherwise there would be just 9 there. When you give yourself in service to others, your eyes go off yourself because you have to ignore your own difficulties because you are too busy serving to meet the needs of others.

You can continue to sit on the couch and say "poor me, I'm not good enough to be any use for the Lord". As long as you are there, you will continue being bound in the prison of self pity, self doubt, your shortcomings and failures. Remember that Peter was the only one who got out of the boat to walk on the water to Jesus. All the others in the boat were too chicken to try. Peter wasn't perfect. When he first met the Lord he said, "Depart from me Lord, I am a sinful man." But he got out of the boat when Jesus invited him to walk to Him.

I am 76 years of age. I have arthritis in my wrists and my right knee. I have to walk with a cane. I had to get someone at the supermarket to get an item from a low shelf for me because I couldn't bend down far enough. I am not going to improve. I am going to get worse, but that hasn't stopped me going down to the church two or three days a week to do the church bulletin, count the money and do other admin work. I have been the chairperson for a budgeting agency for the last 20 years, and I do one day a week doing management support admin tasks. Every now and again my lower back gives out and I am in pain and have to dose myself up with pain killers, but I still haul myself out of bed and continue doing what I need to do to serve my church and the clients of the budgeting agency, because I don't want to let those people down.

The key is, rather than sitting on the couch and waiting for a door of ministry to open, go and find opportunities to minister, even if that means being the church janitor. Walk through the door telling the Lord, "If you don't want me to go through this door, then close it."

Upvote 0