christianity and the simpsons?

D

dah17

hey, everybody. i have been having dilema lately. i am a teenage christian. my parents have never been real strict, so i pretty much limit myself. in the past i have watched whatever i felt like on television. lately i have been restricting what i watch. i wont watch movies with nudity or anything like that. but i was wanting to know what u all think about the simpsons. i have watched it for years, and am wondering if there is any reason why i should stop. I really dont know. it just seems in the gray area to me. ur advice is appreciated.

K

krystalivy

hey, everybody. i have been having dilema lately. i am a teenage christian. my parents have never been real strict, so i pretty much limit myself. in the past i have watched whatever i felt like on television. lately i have been restricting what i watch. i wont watch movies with nudity or anything like that. but i was wanting to know what u all think about the simpsons. i have watched it for years, and am wondering if there is any reason why i should stop. I really dont know. it just seems in the gray area to me. ur advice is appreciated.
simpsons seem ok to me. south park and beavis and butthead. NO!

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
simpsons seem ok to me. south park and beavis and butthead. NO!
Even South Park and Beavis and Butthead are okay for some Christians. It's all a matter of whether or not shows like that will make you stumble, or make another Christian stumble.

Romans 14 discusses Christian liberties. All things are permitted, but they may not all be beneficial. What is okay for one Christian may not be okay for another. It's all up to whether or not the Holy Spirit convicts you in one way or another. But I would not make a blanket statement that any show is okay or not okay.

Upvote 0

rejectreality

Feb 14, 2005
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the above post. If you feel a certain show is hindering your walk with Christ, stay away from it. However, if you feel it is safe for you to continue watching said program, then go ahead. It all depends on the person. I hope you find what's best for you.

God bless

Upvote 0
K

krystalivy

Even South Park and Beavis and Butthead are okay for some Christians. It's all a matter of whether or not shows like that will make you stumble, or make another Christian stumble.

Romans 14 discusses Christian liberties. All things are permitted, but they may not all be beneficial. What is okay for one Christian may not be okay for another. It's all up to whether or not the Holy Spirit convicts you in one way or another. But I would not make a blanket statement that any show is okay or not okay.
I mentioned those because they totally blaspheme, sepecially south park. Why would a christian want to watch that???

Upvote 0

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
as you mature, especially as a christian, spend more time in bible studies than in secular tv shows and movies. I suggest to start limiting it, to maybe once a week, then cutting back altogether (if cold turkey doesn't work first). replace a not-so-good habit with a better one. there are better things you can be doing with your time if you pray and persevere.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
as you mature, especially as a christian, spend more time in bible studies than in secular tv shows and movies. I suggest to start limiting it, to maybe once a week, then cutting back altogether (if cold turkey doesn't work first). replace a not-so-good habit with a better one. there are better things you can be doing with your time if you pray and persevere.
There's a reason Paul devoted a whole chapter to liberties and gray areas. Some people don't feel the need or the conviction to be as legalistic as others and it doesn't mean they are not mature Christians.

Upvote 0
C

ContentInHim

There's a reason Paul devoted a whole chapter to liberties and gray areas. Some people don't feel the need or the conviction to be as legalistic as others and it doesn't mean they are not mature Christians.
Protecting your spiritual life by eliminating entertainment that does not edify you is NOT being legalistic - it's being smart! :)

To the OP: If you feel convicted by watching The Simpsons, then stop watching. If you don't feel convicted, then keep watching. If something offensive to you is shown, turn it off. It's pretty simple, really. God bless you! :wave:

Upvote 0

aldar

Dec 31, 2006
TEXAS
✟16,543.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
yesterday i was watching the simpsons and Barts neighbor said his wife had gone to be with God (Bart thought that mean she was dead and had been murded) but it actually referred to her going to a christian retreat.
the wife said
"yeah i was learning how to be more judgemental!!!"

The simpsons isn't a very Pro-Christian show.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Praising4eva

Apr 23, 2007
✟8,282.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
It really depends - for example, there's a Hillsong parody that is done by a particular Aussie comedy show. Some might find it very offensive ... but some might be able to look beyond the surface and look at the point that is actually being made and believe there is some validity in it. I fall into the latter group.

The Simpsons I don't have a problem with. Even those parts that appear to be anti-Christian can make a good point and allow us to keep ourselves in check. It's a bit of a social statement as to how Christians come across and allows us to look at ourselves. For example, the comment about 'being more judgemental' made by Flander's wife. Unfortunately that does reflect a lot of the views out there on Christians. So look at ourselves ... how do we rate there? Just because a point is distasteful doesn't make it invalid.

Reactions: LJSGM
Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

MY DEAR SISTER,

You will notice that one major thread which runs through Paul's writings is that Christians are to separate themselves from the worldly practices, beliefs, and values which surround them. Somehow i can't imagine Paul watching South Park or any of the other garbage mentioned. Evil is evil, and there is no way evil can be an acceptable diet for "some Christians" and not for others. The more mature a Christian becomes, the further he/she separates him/herself from ungodliness in all its many manifestations.

As Scripture commands, " 'COME OUT FROM AMONG THEM AND BE YE SEPARATE', says the Lord. 'TOUCH NO UNCLEAN THING, AND I WILL RECEIVE YOU.' " (2 Corinthians 6:17)

There is nothing "legalistic" about being obedient!

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I think Simpsons is fine, as long as it doesn't hinder your walk with God. I used to watch it but stopped because I got annoyed at how they potray Christians, lol. I suggest praying about this.

God bless

monica

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think Simpsons is fine, as long as it doesn't hinder your walk with God. I used to watch it but stopped because I got annoyed at how they potray Christians, lol.
God bless

monica

MY FRIEND,

How can something which degrades Christianity and thus holds up its Lord as a laughable caricature be watched with impunity by those claiming to believe Christianity is an expression of God's Word and saving Grace.

but it's not a sin to watch it, and if it doesn't bother you, you are free to do so I think.

The only people the Simpson's treatment of Christianity "doesn't bother" are those who don't Believe. Those Christians who find the Simpsons treatment of Christianity "humorous" should perhaps admit to themselves that they are not what they claim to be--because if they did, in fact, have God's Holy Spirit residing within them--i am sure He is NOT laughing!

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
MY FRIEND,

How can something which degrades Christianity and thus holds up its Lord as a laughable caricature be watched with impunity by those claiming to believe Christianity is an expression of God's Word and saving Grace.

:) Ephraimanesti, this is the reason why I stopped watching the show, because it began to bother me. But if someone is not bothered by it, that doesn't mean that they are necessarily a lesser Christian....maybe they watch it to see how the rest of the world perceives us, etc. Also, they can always choose which episodes to watch; there are some really funny ones too. This is something that's between them and God. (edit) I see what you are saying though, there are some things on that show that I found somewhat offensive.

God bless

monica

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
:) Ephraimanesti, this is the reason why I stopped watching the show, because it began to bother me. But if someone is not bothered by it, that doesn't mean that they are necessarily a lesser Christian....maybe they watch it to see how the rest of the world perceives us, etc. Also, they can always choose which episodes to watch; there are some really funny ones too. This is something that's between them and God. ...Romans 14 is pretty relevant to this sort of situation, I think. I see what you are saying though, there are some things on that show that I found somewhat offensive.

God bless

monica

MY DEAR SISTER,

My point was that if the Holy Spirit within you found the anti-Christian garbage spewed forth on the Simpson offensive to the point where you were bothered by it to the extent that you stopped watching it, would not the Holy Spirit within other believers be bothered to the same extent to the end that they, too, would stop watching it--the Spirit, being one and not divided.

i was merely questioning your assertion that you were bothered but other Christians might not be bothered. My contention was that any real Christian, due to the indwelling Spirit, would be bothered just as you were and would not be led to watch such trash. i believe further that anyone claiming to be a "christian" who is not bothered by anti-Christian/anti-Christ "jokes" is not what they claim to be.

Romans 14 does not apply to blasphemy!

LOVE TO YA IN CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ephraim, :wave:
I see what you are saying, and to an extent I agree...I can't imagine the Holy Spirit supporting the anti-Christian jokes on this show....I just don't feel that it is my place to tell anyone whether or not to watch it, because that is the Holy Spirit's job. I'd rather turn people to God than to my own advice, because He knows all things. That is why I said that this is really something between them and God, because it is. My best advice to anyone wondering what to do is to pray about it and see if you feel convicted that it's wrong. That's why I said in my first post that the deciding factor is whether or not it is hindering them in their relationship with God. If it doesn't have a negative effect on person and if they don't find the anti-Christian jokes humorous, maybe that person has a stronger faith than I do.
I thought about Romans 14, and I think you are right about it...indeed it doesn't apply to blasphemy against God. Forgive me, I'll edit my post.

God bless :)

monica

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's why I said in my first post that the deciding factor is whether or not it is hindering them in their relationship with God. If it doesn't have a negative effect on person and if they don't find the anti-Christian jokes humorous, maybe that person has a stronger faith than I do.
I thought about Romans 14, and I think you are right about it...indeed it doesn't apply to blasphemy against God. Forgive me, I'll edit my post.

God bless :)
monica

MY DEAR SISTER,

This is starting to look like i am attacking you, which i am not. But i feel you have an important misconception at the bottom of your statements--i.e., your belief that deciding whether or not to expose yourself to worldly trash is a matter of how strong your faith is. You state that you were bothered by the ungodliness you saw and so do not watch it any more, whereas someone with "strong faith" might not be affected and can watch with impunity.

THIS IS BACKWARDS!
The stronger our Faith, the closer our relationship to God through His indwelling Holy Spirit; the closer to God through His indwelling Holy Spirit, the more ready, willing, and able we are to turn away from all forms of ungodliness and spiritual poison. It is only those with weak faith--or no faith at all--who tolerate--or even enjoy--the spiritual slams dished out on The Simpsons, Beavis and Butthead, and other trash of this ilk. You have the strength of faith to turn away; they do not.

Following on the above and contrary to your assertion, it IS your place to speak out in warning to others who are still focused on worldly anti-christian "entertainment" and warn them of the spiritual dangers involved--quenching the Spirit, for example--in finding humor in the sarcastic degradation of our Faith and our Lord. You have been convicted of this sin and it IS your place to pass on that warning to others.

Failure to speak out in warning makes you, in a sense, an accomplice and responsible for the spiritual damage the unwarned suffer. We are all under the same injunction as God placed upon Ezekiel, "I HAVE MADE YOU A WATCHMAN FOR THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL; SO HEAR THE WORD I SPEAK AND GIVE THEM WARNING FROM ME. WHEN I SAY TO A WICKED MAN, 'YOU WILL SURELY DIE,' AND YOU DO NOT WARN HIM OR SPEAK OUT TO DISSUADE HIM FROM HIS EVIL WAYS IN ORDER TO SAVE HIS LIFE, THAT WICKED MAN WILL DIE FOR HIS SIN, AND I WILL HOLD YOU ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS BLOOD. BUT IF YOU DO WARN THE WICKED MAN AND HE DOES NOT TURN FROM HIS WICKEDNESS OR FROM HIS EVIL WAYS, HE WILL DIE FOR HIS SIN; BUT YOU WILL HAVE SAVED YOURSELF."
(Ezekiel 3:17-19)

You have got it right, so do not be afraid or hesitant to share what the Spirit has given you in the way of insight regarding ways and means of not polluting our hearts and spirits--which are the temple of God's Holy Spirit as Paul observed, "DON'T YOU KNOW THAT YOU YOURSELVES ARE GOD'S TEMPLE AND THAT GOD'S SPIRIT LIVES IN YOU? IF ANYONE DEFILES GOD'S TEMPLE, GOD WILL DESTROY HIM; FOR GOD'S TEMPLE IS SACRED, AND YOU ARE THAT TEMPLE."
(I Corinthians 3:16, 17)

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi,
What I meant is that if someone has strong faith, ungodliness in their environment would not cause them to sin as much as someone with less faith. They would have the strength to resist the temptation better, and it wouldn't be such a big stumbling block for them. Of course it would bother them though. I agree with you that blasphemy should bother us.

Don't worry though I don't feel attacked by your posts :)

God bless

monica

Upvote 0