Christian substitute for QOTSA / Opeth

TTro33

Oct 24, 2010
✟7,614.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
After being saved I realized what a spit in the face to God it was for me to listen to the music my flesh loved that was inspired and pleasing to satan. I loved stuff like Lamb of God, devildriver, opeth, queens of the stone age... Of course the stuff is so great as satan was a musician. See "they sold their souls for rock 'n roll" dvd.

So does anyone know any christian bands that have those great melodic vocals like Queens of the stone age or Opeth?

My story:
I was prayed out of the darkness by my wife. Thought I had it all figured out believed in a creator but not any one doctrine and believed in an afterlife because of ghost(demon) encounters and out of body experience(also probably demonic). That drawing spirit hit me hard minutes after my mocking/scoffing butt was re affirming my reason for not wanting to go to church on a sunday. Not 2 min into my drive it was as if Jesus was sitting next to me in my jeep and outta the blue I knew what I had to do and I knew, could feel it was real. I was saved there where I pulled off on a dirt road next to a river and asked Jesus to make me new and to forgive me for everything mostly for being unappreciative of the fact he had made me, gave me everything, saved me from death and danger, and I wouldn't even acknowledge him I broke down worse than I ever had and walked away and had the most joyous day. Eternal Praise to JESUS!

Night_Owl

Dec 8, 2010
N/A
✟15,147.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't actually see anything wrong with Queens of the Stone Age, however I do understand some lyrics may be upsetting to some. However I too would be interested in any Christian bands that have a similar style.

Never listened to any of the other bands you mentioned, I've heard of them though.
Demon Hunter and Deliverence might be two bands you would like. You might already know of them however.

Upvote 0
Dec 29, 2010
✟7,617.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Becoming the Archetype is pretty similar to Opeth I think. It's Christian progressive death metal. Great band with an awesome message. Note: I haven't actually heard anything from Opeth, but Becoming the Archetype band members have said it is one of their influences in interviews.

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh man. Queens of the Stone Age. That's a toughie.

For better or worse, Stoner Rock has never really caught on with the Christian market. Probably because Christians aren't supposed to get stoned. (Or, at least, the industry wants to present the non-stoned facade.)

The closest I can think of off hand is the stuff that Jason Martin has touched--Starflyer 59, Bon Voyage, and Neon Horse.

Particular albums to check out:
Starflyer 59 - I Am The Portuguese Blues
Starflyer 59 - Gold
Starflyer 59 - Silver
Starflyer 59 - Americana

However, SF59 tends to have a big shoegaze vibe, too. Martin's vocals just don't really compare to Josh Homme in any way. Still, I'd say they'd be worth checking out.

Bon Voyage is just like Starflyer 59 except with Martin's wife on vocals. So if you find SF59 to be a bit too droopy for your liking, try the self-titled Bon Voyage album.

Neon Horse features Martin on guitar, so his stoner guitar-work is very present. Although the vocals are kookier, pushing the Neon Horse stuff into more of an alternative rock category.

As a QOTSA fan and a SF59 fan I can honestly say I love both artists. Your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, and for something Opeth-esque.

It's been a long time since I've listened to Opeth, so I don't have much real commentary. But Christian extreme metal has some solid creative forces. I've heard that Sanctifica is favorably compared to Opeth. And I do love Sanctifica quite a bit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kimberlily22

Jul 19, 2013
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey I used to be a big fan of Opeth as well. What I loved about them is their fusion of jazz, metal and other genres. Great vocals, haunting beautiful melodies and awesome progressive drumming. And thats essentially what im looking for in a Christian band? something very creative, mixing genres, good vocals and creative prog drumming/wacky time signatures, beautiful melodies? also some great symphonic christian metal bands? any more recommendations?

It's really sad because Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth frontman) has the potential to create such amazingly creative and beautiful music for the Lord.

Upvote 0

TTro33

Oct 24, 2010
✟7,614.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well you can tell where Mikael Akerfeldt's heart lies by looking at his side band Bloodbath, with songs like mock the cross. You should like Hope for the Dying they have a great new album Aletheia. I'm sure you know Becoming the Archetype. Also, In Vain especially their new album Aenigma is excellent. As far as symphonic metal, Sanctifica, narnia, morphia. I don't really listen to that stuff though.

I love metal but I keep thinking to myself that if Jesus walked in the room, I would be falling over myself trying to shut it off, you know? I can understand it being ok when you can understand what they are saying, but just unintelligible death growls, I doubt we will hear that in heaven. I still listen to it but I think its feeding my flesh more than my spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blackwater

Dec 6, 2012
Madagascar
✟15,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see nothing wrong in listening to non-christian metal bands so I don't really see a point in searching for a replacement if you already found what you like. And saying something like "as satan was a musician" is pretty ridiculous. If anything, it's pop and hip-hop artists you should avoid as it's more likely that THEY "sold their souls to satan" due to their popularity.

Upvote 0

gigglingtrout

Sep 28, 2013
✟15,130.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Someone mentioned Becoming the Archetype, which is funny because I started listening to them right around the time I started listening to Opeth.

I dunno if they're similar though. Opeth seems more like traditional death metal and BTA feels metalcore-ish. Also, Opeth seems to delve more into the folk territory, and has more of a "haunting" vibe about them. Both great bands though.

However, BTA's recent material has been a bit disappointing...

Upvote 0