Christian Rock Music... is it of the Devil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daughterofzion

Love, Truth, Wisdom, Light, Understanding, Kindess
Apr 28, 2005
Michigan
✟13,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
fragmentsofdreams said:
Some of songs of Jars of Clay, Switchfoot, Relient K, and other Christian rock groups have more depth than any hymn I have ever heard. The Holy Spirit is not limited by musical genre.

amen to that

Upvote 0

daughterofzion

Love, Truth, Wisdom, Light, Understanding, Kindess
Apr 28, 2005
Michigan
✟13,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After that you shall come to the hill of God where the Philistine garrison is. And it will happen, when you have come there to the city, that you will meet a group of prophets coming down from the high place with a stringed instrument, a tambourine, a flute, and a harp before them; and they will be prophesying. Then the Spirit of the LORD will come upon you, and you will prophesy with them and be turned into another man.1 Samuel 10:5-6

Psalm 47:1
[ To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of the sons of Korah. ] Oh, clap your hands, all you peoples!Shout to God with the voice of triumph!

Psalm 33:3
Sing to Him a new song;Play skillfully with a shout of joy.

hmm sounds like rock music to me!!!! lol

2 Chronicles 5:13
indeed it came to pass, when the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD, and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying:“For He is good, For His mercy endures forever,” that the house, the house of the LORD, was filled with a cloud

Reactions: DiscoFrank
Upvote 0

Nanee5

Master of all I survey
Feb 2, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟19,112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Bible says that ..."Everything was created by Him, and without Him nothing was created." "Everything" includes music, including all styles of music. There is not one "right" type of music to glorify God to. Everyone is different and is touched by different things. You have to listen to the lyric of a song, and also the annointing of a song. (I know alot of people throw the word 'annointing' around, but I use it, because God has given me the gift of discernment where music is concerned.) I am touched just as much by Pillar as much as I am by Twila Paris. The Word also says, "What is in your heart, will come out of your mouth." That is why I look so closesly to the lyrics of songs, and who wrote the songs (especially if the singer and the songwriter are the same person). I believe if Jesus is in their lives, it will come out in their lyrics, whether or not they necessarily are blatent about it. That is why I applaud bands like Switchfoot, who feel a calling to not just minister to the Church, but to take the Gospel message to the world. Jesus said, "Who is in need of a doctor, the well person or the sick?" (paraphrased of course ;) ) Ok.. Im done with my rant... :)

Reactions: DiscoFrank
Upvote 0

chrchr

Feb 5, 2006
california
✟197.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Others
God created us for many things, one of which is to worship him. He did not limit us in how we can worship him, He gave us unique talents and personalities for the use of his glory. i definately dont see christian rock as wrong. i see it as Chrisitians worshiping their God and sharing their worship with other Christians, in order to honor God. Worshiping God is definately not limited to hymnals, and even music for that matter :) of course, everything always comes down to the heart

Upvote 0
A

Angel of God

DiscoFrank said:
http://www.biblebelievers.com/Rock1.html

This site is very anti-rock music... what do people here think?

I think the reason is important for a christian music.
My opinion is that a music where the words are clear is a good..christian music......
It can be hard..also as for example the final countdown of Europe.............. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Upvote 0

jwill03189

No Longer A Newbie, But Not A Regular
Feb 4, 2006
✟7,707.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
philN said:
Is Christian music crappy? Yes.
Is Christian music derivative? Yes.
Is Christian music blasphemous? Sometimes.
Is Christian music pleasing to God? Sometimes.
Is Christian music corrupt? Yes.
Is Christian music of the devil? No.

Dude, you need to look around. There is some very good Christian Rock out there.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
philN said:

Says you. To each his own. As for me, I'll continue to jam to P.O.D. and other Christian rock groups like them. Go to www.radioy.com to listen to some great online Christian rock. I think it will change your mind. :thumbsup: :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chrchr

Feb 5, 2006
california
✟197.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Others
philN said:

That's a real supportive attitude. you dont have to like everything Chrisitan music, but you could have a better supporting attitude towards those who choose to use their talents for God's glory

Upvote 0

philN

Veteran
Mar 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
✟2,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Believe me, I've heard my share of Christian music. That was pretty much all I listened to growing up. I have written for a number of Christian music magazines/webzines. And while, I may have exaggerated a bit, I think the point still holds.

Most Christian bands are just Christian alternatives to secular bands. Not all -- but most. If you are content with that, then by all means keep listening. But perhaps the most inspiring Christians in the music industry (Sufjan Stevens, Daniel Smith, David Eugene Edwards, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, et cetera) all seperated themselves from the CCM industry for a reason -- it is corrupt, it is full of hypocrisy, and it is conducive to little more than bad theology and bad art.

Upvote 0

philN

Veteran
Mar 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
✟2,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's a real supportive attitude. you dont have to like everything Chrisitan music, but you could have a better supporting attitude towards those who choose to use their talents for God's glory
To be honest, I have met, talked to, had dinner with, interviewed, shared motel rooms with, and been on long car rides with many, many people involved in CCM. You would be astounded just how arrogant, self-important and rude most band members are.

Are some of them talented? Yes. Not all, but some. However, most of them are up there on stage for themselves -- to make themselves look good, to hear the cheering of fans. And there is nothing wrong with that, per se; however, when you say that you are doing it all for God, then you act like a complete jackass -- I think there is a sad inconsistency in your motivation for playing.

Again, not all bands are like that. But many are.

Upvote 0

Sup4h

Feb 3, 2006
✟7,628.00
Faith
Christian
DiscoFrank said:
This site is very anti-rock music... what do people here think?

The genre songs happen to fall under is irrelevent. That website said that 'rock and roll' meant fornication. I think that's what it meant back in 1960....but now 'rock' is just a genre, nothing more.

The website also said that rock has caused suicide and violence and all that stuff...but that's such a broad statement. Whoever wrote that might as well say "music has caused suicide and violence etc." That isn't going to stop you from listening to hymn music (or whatev it's called) is it? So, yeah, music comes in a lot of forms. And so does music under the genre of rock.

Hope that helps you see things a bit more clear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Graeme_W

Jun 6, 2005
Hartville, Ohio
Visit site
✟7,783.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That site's owners are in serious denial. It's not as though God cares in what way we worship Him, as long as we do. I mean, sure, there are exceptions, but different styles of music are not going to make God say, "ARGH, those darn kids and their guitars are making a mockery of Me!"

Get a grip, people, what's the difference between a song sung in church and a song sung by a Christian-rock band? The answer... buh-bah-da-dahh... instruments... that's it, yes, instruments. A good example is Five Iron Frenzy's song called "A Flowery Song," in which the chorus part of the song is the complete Doxology that most of you say EVERY WEEK at church. The only difference between songs is the instruments.

Nobody cares if rock and roll originated in a flurry of anti-mainstream thoughts. We cannot base current trends and facts on old things. The world is ever changing.

God Bless
~Graeme

Upvote 0

hardcoreGL1229

Mar 12, 2006
✟20,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally if there was no Christian Rock...my friends and I would probably not be listening to any form of christian music. We like rock...we like christian rock...we like music. It's not a sin to like music. I know of several cases where my friends have listened to christian music and actually given their lifes to Christ...so nothing wrong there.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,344,308.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
David 'rocked'. He put everything he had into worship. I bet'cha he wasn't quiet either.

Any music that pours one's soul out to Abba is a sweet incense to Abba. Worship takes many forms......it's all in what's in your heart as you sing/belt it out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.