Christian Comic Book

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
There's a big gap in the contemporary comic book industry for Christians to fill in, most of those comic books are
just rubbish.

Famed television writer Buzz Dixon ran a short-lived organization called "Real Buzz Studios" in an effort to fill that gap, but unfortunately they folded within three years.

Upvote 0

Netbug009

Dec 4, 2006
✟8,378.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Realbuzz Studio, unfortunately, had the problem lots of American "manga" does - they only understood the art style on a superficial level and plastered it onto unmistakably western stylized writing. To top it off, stories like Goofyfoot Girl starred characters who didn't consider their Christianity something that should actually impact their lives - GG felt like it was namedropping God and then forgetting him with characters gossiping and entering questionable relationships.

IMO, Serenity was their only good publication, and it took time to get there.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
IMO, Serenity was their only good publication, and it took time to get there.

I actually have all six volumes of "Serenity".

IMHO, it really could have used a seventh. The sixth volume ends with her accepting religion into her life, but leaves most of the existing loose ends - her home life, the established love triangle, Serenity's own future - untied. It's almost as if they knew while they were producing that volume that they wouldn't get another, so just tacked on the ending to be done with it.

Also, it was painfully obvious that the artwork was done digitally instead of by hand. This became apparent when they decided to have Serenity wear camouflage pants during an outing; if you look closely, you can see that the pattern always remains constant no matter how she bends or kneels, indicating that the artist used a generic fill system (such as what Adobe Illustrator offers) instead of drawing it in by hand, which would have allowed for the artist to insert the breaks and shifts that would accompany movement.

Upvote 0

Netbug009

Dec 4, 2006
✟8,378.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I only own volumes 1-3 myself. I really need to collect the rest of them.

What I liked about Serenity was that while at first it feels like it's going to be YET ANOTHER "strawman athiest character sees the light and all the strawman Christians pat themselves on the back" story, the more you read the more you realize Serenity is actually meant to represent the problems new Christians face, and the Christian characters around her aren't perfect little angels either.

I think that honesty is missing from a lot of Christian work. There seems to be this fear in Christian fiction of admitting Christians are fallible human beings, despite that very fact being the reason Christ came and died for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
I only own volumes 1-3 myself. I really need to collect the rest of them.

What I liked about Serenity was that while at first it feels like it's going to be YET ANOTHER "strawman athiest character sees the light and all the strawman Christians pat themselves on the back" story, the more you read the more you realize Serenity is actually meant to represent the problems new Christians face, and the Christian characters around her aren't perfect little angels either.

I think that honesty is missing from a lot of Christian work. There seems to be this fear in Christian fiction of admitting Christians are fallible human beings, despite that very fact being the reason Christ came and died for us.

As a writer myself, I've noted that one-sided materials like this are often the result of inexperience. The writers don't understand the difference between flat and dynamic characters, let alone why dynamic characters are more interesting. They just know that there is a story to tell, and they're going to tell it in the most direct fashion.

As it is, my favorite bit of "Christian" fiction isn't a specifically Christian work at all, but rather the 1986 G. I. Joe episode "Second-Hand Emotions" -> http://www.joeguide.com/summaries/second_hand_emotions/ .

The main character of the episode is Lifeline, a medic for the G. I. Joe team. Lifeline used to be a civilian paramedic until he realized that, due to a caveat buried deep in the official guidelines, if he was injured during an "off-the-clock" rescue he wouldn't be compensated. This made him so mad that he quit his job and enlisted in the military, where he would receive due assistance if such a situation took place.

Unfortunately, Lifeline's father is an extreme pacifist. The man was so furious when he learned that Lifeline enlisted he shut the boy out of his life without even hearing his reasons why. What's more, the man is the minister of a Protestant congregation, and so most of the congregants share his extreme pacifism. As the episode makes clear, the only reason why Lifeline is even coming home in the first place is because his sister is getting married; his father is performing the ceremony, and so someone needs to walk her down the aisle.

A group of terrorists discover this, and so set plans in motion. They've developed a device that, once attached to a person's spine, can allow them to stimulate the nervous system remotely. Their goal is to make such a spectacle of matters that the Joe team's reputation is permanently damaged. What's more, the chapel where this is to take place is down the road from an armory; if the armory is forced to send people to the chapel to retrieve everyone, then the garrison will be that much weaker and less able to prevent the terrorists from stealing anything.

Much of the episode involves Lifeline and his father having to learn to see things from one another's perspective. Lifeline comes to realize that his father means well even if he lacks basic common sense, while the father comes to realize that there are times in which yes, it may just be necessary to throw a punch if it means keeping people safe.

The episode was written by the husband-and-wife team of Gerry and Carla Conway, a pair best known for their work with DC Comics. This may be why the episode was so well-written: the pair have considerable experience under their belts.

Upvote 0