Christian Charity and Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

disciple777

DailyBlessings said:
Neither do I... For that matter, if charity is important, I don't see what Christian charity has to do with trying to establish theocracy in schools.

No one wants to establish Theocracy in schools. But everybody needs freedom to learn and practise their own faith.

Till recently, Charity was mainly done by Christians. USA tops the Charity among all other nations. Most of the Charity from USA are through Christians. Mother Theresa was a christian.

Can you name anyone else of the calibre of mother Theresa of different faith? Christian Charity began with Jesus Christ who offered to be sacrificed for you and me though he was innocent. This is still continuing. Jim Elliott was a missionary to the ALka Indians. They murdered him. His wife was devastated. Several years later, she became very compassionate towards those who murdered her husband. She left her good life here and chose to go to the native villages to share the Love of Christ. They were touched by the Love of Christ and became the believers in christ.

Christians were the only compassionate people who cared for the distressed muslims when there was a huge riot in which thousands were massacred in INDIA.

Katrina AND Tsunami all inspired Christians to reach out to everyone beyond the boundaries of race.

Who is establishing theocracy in Schools? Did you know that till 70 years ago, Bible was used as a text book on history and literature? In those days, our schools turned out scholars. Today, God and Prayer are out of schools. What do we have now? Social engineering, school violence total disregard for law and teen age pregnancy.Our student's do not learn maths, science and history. They cannot compete with students from even Asia. Is this the kind of society we want to be in?

Well,in those days, all the schools taught Christianity. Then only public schools were established which were primarily meant to avoid any teaching about God or morality. Those who demanded public Schools wanted a permissive society. All the ills of our society today can be attributed to this shift.

Well, christians allowed the humanists to establish secular schools. Today, we cannot have children attend the school of their choice. They are forced to attend the Schools which indoctrinate them against their faith and values. Where are the rights of Christians to practise their faith? Just because our public schools deny the Christian students to practise their faith, they need the CHOICE to attend Christian Schools. Why should a Christian parent's tax dollars be spent on teaching Atheism? Why should an atheist's tax dollars be spent to educate Christian values?

The answer is School choice and VOUCHERS. You send your children to schools which teach Atheism. We will send our children to Christian schools.

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
I've seen references on these threads to an argument that basically says that evolution is incompatible with Christian charity.

What those references mean in a nutshell is that anybody who accepts evolutionary theory as being scientifically valid is basically a nasty person. Evolutionists believe in "might makes right" "only the strong survive" "suvivial of the fittest" "looking out for number one". With evolutionists its all about getting what you want at the expense of others because that makes you stronger then them and more worthy. The unworthy deserve to die - its natural selection. So, giving to the poor is bad in the evolutionist point of view. So would helping an old lady cross the street - she deserves to be run over. Real christians believe that the meek shall inherit the earth. Evolutionists believe in taking what they want and squashing those weaklings under their feet.

Of course nobody becomes a nasty brute just because they accept the fact that evolution happens, but when you cannot defeat your debate opponent with the facts just demonize them (thats how election campains are run afterall).

What it really boils down to is that creationists lost the debate from a scientific point of view in the mid 19th century. And since they cannot argue against valid science from a stanpoint of igorance without making fools of themselves - it is better to make "evolutionists" look like a bunch of Nazis.

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
Evolution: Universe appeared from nothing with a bang!
Creation: Universe broken down to latin: one Uni spoken Verse....so we're living in a spoken verse "Gen1:3 And God said..."

Actually big bang theory is not relavent to evolutionary theory. One is cosmology (physics and astronomy) and the other is biology.

Perhaps you could explain to me why it is that about 50% of young earth creationists reject big bang theory as being "athiestic" , while the other 50% actually embrace the big bang as essencially being the same as God saying "let there be light". Why can't YECs agree on that issue?

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
Evolution: White people have a more advanced evolution than blacks...whites are farther removed from monkeys...blacks and "lesser races" are still little more than beasts....(don't yell at me....yell at Charles Darwin Origin of the Species...if you haven't read the whole book take time to do it...it's packed with racism!!)
NOT TRUE
Please substantiate your claim with CURRENT "evoutionist" sources such as texbooks or the content of a univeristy level course.

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
The tie-in to evolutionists is that evolutionists suggest that death is a good thing and has been part of life even before sin.

Death is a part of the cycle of life. Most religions recognize this fact.
If a rabbit eats a carrot, the carrot dies so that the rabbit may live. When a lynx eats the rabbit, the rabbit dies so that the lynx may live. When the lynx dies it's body fertilizes the ground so that more carrots may live. The circle of life.

Without physical death we would be knee deep in grasshoppers within 6 weeks.
Death is not "good" is is essenciat to life. Death is a part of life.

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
Till recently, Charity was mainly done by Christians.

So who is doing it now if not Christians?

USA tops the Charity among all other nations.

Can you back that claim up?

Most of the Charity from USA are through Christians.

Can you back that claim up? I am not saying you are wrong, just that you should back it up. In fact, I will even point you to an article that supports this particular statement. I am sure you will find it interesting.

http://www.vcfanaheim.com/artman/publish/article_62.shtml

Mother Theresa was a christian.

She wasn't an American as you seem to insinuate. She was also a catholic , by in large the majority of catholics accept evolutionary theory. I went to a catholic school and was about evolution there.
http://www.christianpost.com/article/education/903/section/catholics.accept.evolution.guided.by.god/1.htm

Can you name anyone else of the calibre of mother Theresa of different faith?

Gandhi maybe?

Christians were the only compassionate people who cared for the distressed muslims when there was a huge riot in which thousands were massacred in INDIA.

Back your statements up.

Katrina AND Tsunami all inspired Christians to reach out to everyone beyond the boundaries of race.

Was there no secular or religious - non christian organizations that helped out? Please back up what you say.

Who is establishing theocracy in Schools? Did you know that till 70 years ago, Bible was used as a text book on history and literature? In those days, our schools turned out scholars. Today, God and Prayer are out of schools. What do we have now? Social engineering, school violence total disregard for law and teen age pregnancy.Our student's do not learn maths, science and history. They cannot compete with students from even Asia. Is this the kind of society we want to be in?

My kids go to a publicly funded catholic school. The district where I went to school the catholic schools were the public schools (secular was "separate" - the jurisdiciton where I live now it is reversed). The public school system here also offers "charter schools" which can be mormon, muslim, Christian, secular, you name it. In addition to the public school system (with catholic and charter schools) there are private schools for those who can afford it. Heck there is even homeschooling for a growing number of people. I suppose it depends on which jurisdiciton you live in. If your's doesn't offer choices, and choices are important to you, either get involved to change the system or move away. It sounds like you are saying that "the world is going to hell in a handbasket, so I am just going to sit back and wait for armaggedon"

Well,in those days, all the schools taught Christianity. Then only public schools were established which were primarily meant to avoid any teaching about God or morality. Those who demanded public Schools wanted a permissive society. All the ills of our society today can be attributed to this shift.

That, along with your ENTIRE post has NOTHING to do with evolutionary thoery - and the validity thereof, nor how acceptance of evolutionary thoery affects people's charity.

That being said, I do agree with some of what you say.
I do not agree that an increase in secular/humanistic attitudes is primarily responsible for any "increase in the ills of society". I think many of todays problems are due to a breakdown of community and family. There are non-christian and even secular societies which have very strong community and family structues.

The answer is School choice and VOUCHERS. You send your children to schools which teach Atheism. We will send our children to Christian schools.

That might be a good solution. The way we do it here is simply to check a little box on your property tax forms indicating if you support the secular & charter part of the public school system or the catholic (called separate) part of the public school system.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Disciple777, my response is essentially the same as on the "Racism" thread: I respect your prejudice and recognize that trying to change it is futile. But I would point out that Jim Elliot ministered to the Auca Indians.

Upvote 0

WAB

Nov 12, 2005
Hawaii
✟1,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gwenyfur wrote: "Evolution: we are nothing more than animals evolved from lower animals Creation: We are sentient beings with spirit and soul created to be stewards of the earth"

DailyBlessings responded: "...most Christian evolutionists hold both these views, they are not contradictory." This speaks volumns about "Christian evolutionists"... or at least this one.

It is hard to imagine any two concepts being more contradictory than evolution, which demands that everything developed the incredible complexity we can observe (how about the eye?), over an incredibly long period of time on its own, and creation, which tells us that the Designer of the universe created it ex nihilo in 6 normal days.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is hard to imagine any two concepts being more contradictory than evolution, which demands that everything developed the incredible complexity we can observe (how about the eye?), over an incredibly long period of time on its own, and creation, which tells us that the Designer of the universe created it ex nihilo in 6 normal days.

Then it must be very hard to imagine me. :p In the first place, it seems that God did not create man ex nihilo, but rather out of the dust of the earth.

In the second place, just because a phenomenon can be explained by natural processes does not mean that it happens "on its own" apart from God's plan or purpose. In the Scriptures it says that not one sparrow falls to the ground apart from the will of the Father, even though sparrows falling have straightforward explanations in physics and biology that seem to leave no room for God .... to those who do not seek Him out.

In the third place, there is no conflict in the duration of time between Genesis and modern science if it is taken that the duration of time is really not the point that Genesis 1 was written the way it was.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Late_Cretaceous

Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic

Have you considered that it is your imagination that is limited?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.