Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
haven't had a chance to read Christ the Eternal Tao yet, but the gist is that the Tao of ancient Chinese philosophy was ultimately Christ, as was the Logos of Greek philosophy.

The biography is excellent-my favorite book. you won't regret it.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I've read that idea before, that Christ was found in imitation form among the pagans, the Greek philosophers, etc. I may grab both. I'm also tempted at picking up the Jordanville Prayer book. (I have an addiction to books - I've worked in libraries for 24 years!! so that doesn't help.)

Make makes the bio on Rose worth the read?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anyone read this book by Hieromonk Damascene? Could you sum up the gist of it?

it's the idea of St Justin Martyr, that there is the "seed of the Word" in all forms of philosophy and even paganism, applied to Taoism.

I noticed he has a massive bio on Rose. Any good?

I second that the bio of Fr Seraphim is worth the read. there are a lot of little nuggets and miracles in his life that you don't often see (such as he was seen in the Uncreated Light), and it was amazing how balanced and pastoral he is.

I'm also tempted at picking up the Jordanville Prayer book.

that's a good one to get.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
he's controversial mainly because people who know very little about him only associate him with the toll houses. many of those who criticize him seem to have never read what he actually said about them.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OP: Hieromonk Damascene comes to our parish once in a while. I met him very early on when I first came to our parish and was considering Orthodoxy. His family goes to our parish. He's an incredible man when it comes to loving the Lord, holiness, and he's quite an intellectual. When I've spoken with him at coffee hours, he is a quiet man, quite unemotional, pretty stoic, but very interesting. He's a true monk.

I read parts of the Tao book, yes. The crux of it is simply what Jesse and Matt have said: that the elements of Taoism are really Christ, and yet Taoists don't really realize that. They are searching for Christ Jesus without really knowing it. And his thesis is that there is so much in Taoism that is Christian that we have commonalities that we Orthodox can tap into and help them convert that way. They don't have to give up their principles of Taoism to become Orthodox Christians. But I do confess being a husband, father of three, and a sixth grade teacher, I only read parts of it, not the whole. I'm so bad...LOL

I did read parts of the Augustine commentaries by Father Rose, and they're outstanding. Father Seraphim Rose has been vilified by some, and like Jesse said, it's largely out of ignorance or assumptions. My own dear priest can't stand his stuff. I like Father Rose, and what he has done for the Russians in his lifetime with translations alone should practically make him a saint! If you ever want to see a masterful smack-down of the follies and absurdities of human evolution, read Father Rose. He takes evolution and turns it on its head showing the silliness and inconsistencies. He's into the patristics, and knows his stuff! Sometimes he gets a bit extreme for me, but I think his heart was ALWAYS in the right place!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Reactions: jckstraw72
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I really hope to get around to reading him someday, one way or another.

No idea what my SF will say. He's never mentioned Fr. Seraphim Rose. But he's extremely more careful with my reading that Fr. M (my parish priest) was, so ... It might be a while. Not sure.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Why is Rose a controversial figure? I've read that he was gay but since a priest did not take part in that lifestyle. Is that it?

yes, he struggled against Same Sex Attraction, but shows that we can crucify that passion with God's grace. most don't vilify him for that though. he wrote during a lot of the tension between ROCOR and the OCA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christ the Eternal Tao is a fascinating book. It was one of a couple of books that opened up my thinking to the idea that there are many possibilities for one to come to know Christ when having not even heard of him. In a seminal form, this is what the Tao was about.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I liked the book, its thesis might be overstated (or not) - I know Fr Seraphim studied with Alan Watts who really gets a bad rap and perhaps deservedly so by modern scholars of eastern religions and philosophy. In that case, the remarks in the book may reflect a little more on Watts than on Taoism. However, the core idea is sound and true, this would only be a matter of how it relates to the concrete reality.

As for Fr Seraphim Rose, he gets controversial for a few reasons: there are followers who seem to take him as gospel rather than reading him in his churchly context, there are people who note that he is not a historian or academic theologian (indeed, he could not read Greek) and it shows in his work, he addresses in his works some controversial issues which have not clearly been revealed, and he was in the ROCOR at a time when its relations were somewhat hostile to the rest of Orthodoxy (they were somewhat under the sway of Old Calendarist Greeks, an influence that went away when the Boston monks under Panteleimon fled the ROCOR to avoid investigation into their sexual misconduct). And of course Fr Seraphim is perhaps unfairly painted with the failings of Gleb ("Fr Herman"), his fellow monk, who had his own foray into the anti-canonical wilderness to avoid investigation into his own sexual misconduct. Fr Seraphim himself is perhaps best remembered for his pastoral counsels and personal asceticism, while his theological works have flaws as noted above. His personal struggles are far from a source of controversy, they are a shining example for the church.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He's controversial, not so much because of what he said/did, but because some converts from Protestantism/Evangelicalism have a cult following around him, and form almost the entirety of their Orthodoxy on him.

I've read his stuff, and it's great. But he is just one of many Orthodox people from which we can draw wisdom from. Not everything he said was correct. As gzt mentioned, he did not know Greek, and it showed. But that's not a criticism of him at all. It just what it is.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Why is Rose a controversial figure? I've read that he was gay but since a priest did not take part in that lifestyle. Is that it?
No, it's because he's polemical. Not that there's anything wrong with that when it's for the right reasons, but it's going to make you controversial.

Upvote 0