Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Objectivism is a philosophy that holds, among other things, that the "proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness or rational self-interest". Does that sound like it might be at odds with Christianity?

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Objectivism is a philosophy that holds, among other things, that the "proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness or rational self-interest". Does that sound like it might be at odds with Christianity?

Not if the endowments of the inalienable rights of 'Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" are from God.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not if the endowments of the inalienable rights of 'Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" are from God.

Aren't we merging the Bible and Declaration of Independence? The Christians highest moral purpose is to love God above all else (including your own happiness) and to love your neighbor as yourself.

If you think Objectivism and Christianity are compatible, I think there might be a problem.

Ayn Rand said objectivism is "My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute."

Do you agree with this?

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm for true liberty. What we have now and what the Tea Party/RR 2.0 want is only liberty for them and the 'successful' and them alone, and slavery for the rest of us.

LOL.

You seem to ignore REAL political parties actually doing the same thing. Guess that makes you partisan.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
LOL.

You seem to ignore REAL political parties actually doing the same thing. Guess that makes you partisan.

No, I've called out the other political parties as well. I was just mentioning that the Tea Party is a lot more blatant about it. They either say it straight up what they're going to do and/or try to hide their true motives under the guise of liberty and freedom, and to an even worse degree than the people currently in power.

That's not to say I disagree with the video though. I agree with the video. I'm just saying I want REAL liberty. Not this "liberty for me, not for thee" that the Tea Party blatantly promises.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You own yourself. Don't give liberty away.

The Philosophy of Liberty - YouTube

Fantastic video!!! I just had my ten and twelve year old daughters watch it with me because it explains so many concepts simply and clearly. I know we'll have a great discussion at the dinner table tonight. Thanks for posting it.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i can't remember, was objectivism the philosophy invented by a harlequin romance novelist, or was that scientology?

LOL. Objectivism was developed the the atheist philosopher Ayn Rand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Nor are you a slave to others who demand your sacrifice"

"And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

Your choice.

Upvote 0

childofGod1

Aug 21, 2010
✟18,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Nor are you a slave to others who demand your sacrifice"

"And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

Your choice.

Does that verse, in any way, excuse those who steal from you? I think you miss the difference between voluntary and involuntary. God does not ask us to enslave ourselves to the ungodly, but to VOLUNTARILY give to others. Charity, ya know? These two ideas are not mutually exclusive nor contradictory as you imply.

Upvote 0