China executes UK citizen

QuakerPete

One of Teesdale's finest
Sep 6, 2009
Teesdale - obviously!!!
✟15,578.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I was surprised that the Chinese did not show last-minute clemency towards this person . . . and being cynical, I could say it was in response towards British criticism of China's stance in the recent Copenhagen summit over global warming. Whatever the reasons, I don't believe that any civilised society should be killing its own or anyone else's citizens.

But punish them severely for their crimes? Absolutely!!!

Upvote 0

Buzzbee

Jul 6, 2006
✟1,477.00
Faith
Christian
The story about this Brit citizen was that he was accused of drug trafficking. Considering that the past history of Chinese court cases that about 90% of cases of where you are accused of something end in a successful conviction in favor of the state I would say I don't believe the Brit had much of a chance of being turned out to the British Embassy in China. Also, executions should only be reserved for sure for only two actions: unwanted, violent, sexual actions (i.e. rape) and intentionally killing another human being and planning it in the first place; this excludes soldiers fighting each other in wars and individuals doing self-defense against very grave physical injury or death by another human being.

They executed the man was cited on drug charges. How in the would do you kill someone for either substance addiction or selling to people that intentionally with knowledge know they are buying addicting or sensory-alternating substances?

Upvote 0

underpressure

Nov 1, 2009
✟15,670.00
Faith
Seeker
The guy had bi-polar and was duped into going by gangs who said he had become a major pop star in China after recording a nonsense song. He was certainly mad, and he thought the song would bring world peace, but he ended up getting executed for drug smuggling. Unfortunately, someone like this is easy for a gang to exploit. Disgusting that China chose to execute him, but my friend in China said that they'd painted him as a dangerous criminal in their press, so it would have looked weak if they'd chosen to give a last minute reprieve.

China are out of control in my opinion, best you can do is to boycott any goods made there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phylogeny

Veteran
Dec 28, 2004
✟2,426.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I am opposed to the death penalty in general, and in executions of the mentally ill in particular. However, I'm surprised people have expressed their disgust given that the US have executed mentally disabled people, and executes more people than most other developed nations in the world. Is it only bad when China does it? I think executions are bad no matter what the reason or which country does it.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I am opposed to the death penalty in general, and in executions of the mentally ill in particular. However, I'm surprised people have expressed their disgust given that the US have executed mentally disabled people, and executes more people than most other developed nations in the world. Is it only bad when China does it? I think executions are bad no matter what the reason or which country does it.

I'm with you on this.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Oh yes, but China does account for 75% of the world's executions, and there's 80 odd offenses punishable by death in China.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
The story about this Brit citizen was that he was accused of drug trafficking. Considering that the past history of Chinese court cases that about 90% of cases of where you are accused of something end in a successful conviction in favor of the state I would say I don't believe the Brit had much of a chance of being turned out to the British Embassy in China. Also, executions should only be reserved for sure for only two actions: unwanted, violent, sexual actions (i.e. rape) and intentionally killing another human being and planning it in the first place; this excludes soldiers fighting each other in wars and individuals doing self-defense against very grave physical injury or death by another human being.

They executed the man was cited on drug charges. How in the would do you kill someone for either substance addiction or selling to people that intentionally with knowledge know they are buying addicting or sensory-alternating substances?

Why allow death for rape? Drug trafficking (when it really does happen) can ruin lives of children just as much, if not more so, as sexually assaulting them can.

Upvote 0