✟15,356.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
China blocks Wikipedia
Posted 06/14/2004 @ 12:33 PM
by Ken "Caesar" Fisher

Ten days ago the Chinese government blocked Internet access to the Chinese version of the Wikipedia, a community-built encyclopedia that polices itself with a policy of political neutrality. This past weekend that block was extended to include other language versions as well. To some, the block was a surprise.

..... http://arstechnica.com/news/posts/1087234431.html

TRUE!

Tashie

Apr 11, 2005
Mighty Bristol
Visit site
✟15,877.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Is Google still blocked in China? I remember there being alot of uproar about that and cant actually remember if it was unblocked. I've never been to China, but would like to one day- im very interested in the way the media is affected and treated by the government there.

Upvote 0

wmc1982

Aka "Will" :)
Jul 28, 2006
NC, United States
✟16,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Man, that is awful. It really shows how they are trying to hide the facts from their own people. Especially if they are threatened by articles agreed upon by the majority of the public.

I know, China is screwed up. My sister was adopted from China at age 1. She is now 10. China is screwed up spiritually and morally. (they are smart though)

Upvote 0

Tashie

Apr 11, 2005
Mighty Bristol
Visit site
✟15,877.00
Faith
Pentecostal
yeah, it makes me wonder how much freedom things like the newspapers have and if they're ever worried about printing stories on a certain topic.

It's strange because journalists never really think about how much freedom thay have to write in the Western world (unless they're trying to publish slander or national secerets or something!)

Upvote 0

Hello There

Apr 28, 2005
Parkes, NSW
✟15,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is Google still blocked in China? I remember there being alot of uproar about that and cant actually remember if it was unblocked. I've never been to China, but would like to one day- im very interested in the way the media is affected and treated by the government there.
When I was there it was operational (which was only about 1 or 2 months ago)

There is even a Google China I think it's www.google.cn

Upvote 0

sasaki

Sep 10, 2006
Asia
Visit site
✟15,356.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The chinese firewall can not be broke by a nomal proxy.

Falun Gong has released some tools to break the firewall, it does work.

Some parts it's blocked in, and others it isn't. It depends on the internet provider. Legally, it is blocked in China.
WRONG!

It's all blocked in china. How do you know what happened in china? Have you been in china? Can you read chinese? 你好像对中国的事情很了解的说?

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's all blocked in china. How do you know what happened in china?
Ummm.... I read the news and talk to friends and family who live there... It's not exactly rocket science.

Have you been in china?
Yes.

Can you read chinese? 你好像对中国的事情很了解的说?
A little. It's similar to Japanese. Don't assume that non-Chinese don't know anything about your country, just because they don't live there. Do you know everything about China? Have you even seen most parts of the country?

Try getting to blocked sites via proxy sites, like these: http://proxy.org/cgi_proxies.shtml. They worked a few months ago.

The websites which are blocked in China does often depend on the ISP. Some sites are blocked thoughout the entire country, while some depend on the provider.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sasaki

Sep 10, 2006
Asia
Visit site
✟15,356.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ummm.... I read the news and talk to friends and family who live there... It's not exactly rocket science.
How do they visit Wiki? Where do they live? China is not a freedom country, blocking sites is government policy. It's immpossible that any ISP doesn't block it.

Do you understand tyranny? Do you want to defend the chinese regime? Do you love evil CCP? Do you know everything about China? Breetai, do you? Have you even seen most parts of the country? ahh???

Upvote 0

sasaki

Sep 10, 2006
Asia
Visit site
✟15,356.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now tell me who know everything about china? Who have even seen most parts of the country? 别看你挂了个日本国旗,你一说话就满嘴的支那味。

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sasaki, I gave you a link to a site that has many different proxy sites. Go to one of those proxy sites and type whatever website address that you want into it (Wikipedia included), instead of typing it into the normal URL bar in your browser. It does work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rocklife

Senior Veteran
Apr 4, 2004
✟18,086.00
Faith
Christian
If people can steal cable television. I know It can't be that hard to tap in to the internet for free. And it would probably be legal.

Any smart people, lets get together and figure out how :)
China isn't like America wmc1882

and if they have laws against tapping into things they've already said are off-limits, jail is not fun especially in foreign countries-many allow torture and beatings, and China has a very high execution rate. I'd be scared to break the law over there.

Upvote 0