glo1

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.
Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our church is going through the process of allowing children to receive the Eucharist before their Confirmation.

I have attended other churches, where children automatically share in the communion - but never in an Anglican church.

Can anybody tell me more about this?
What does your church do?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is it common for baptized infants to receive now? I never saw that in the ACC.

Mary

It's routine in TEC and common in the REC. It is still, however, rare in the Continuing Anglcan churches such as the Anglican Catholic Church. But when I say this I have in mind young children, not actual infants as would be the case in an Orthodox church.

Upvote 0
W

Wildcat48

I've seen several infant baptisms in my parish (part of the Episcopal Church in the US). It's common.

Edit: Sorry about that...I thought you asked if infants were baptized in TEC. Infants are often receive a blessing in my parish if they come forward with their parents. It probably comes down to the troubles of delivering communion to such a young child.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've seen several infant baptisms in my parish (part of the Episcopal Church in the US). It's common.

Edit: Sorry about that...I thought you asked if infants were baptized in TEC. Infants are often receive a blessing in my parish if they come forward with their parents. It probably comes down to the troubles of delivering communion to such a young child.

Yes - Ive been Orthodox too long :D. I forgot that we distribute the Gifts in a different way. :doh:

Mary

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Okay, thanks. Do you know why there would be a distinction between young child and infant in peoples' minds, assuming baptism has taken place? Oh, it's probably the method of receiving communion that is the problem?

Mary

In principle, there's no difference.

However, in the parishes that I've visited where children are communed, I picked up enough information to conclude that they felt comfortable doing this doing this after telling the children, perhaps 4 and up, about Jesus, that he loves you and wants you to do this, and so on. I have the hunch that there might be some reluctance among the parishioners to communing an infant who had not even a superficial understanding of what the Lord's Supper commemorates--the matter of how to deliver the elements to a babe in arms without any spills aside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
In Australia children of 7 years and older (who have been baptised) can be admitted to communion via a short liturgy.

In the Church of England its still a mess, with parishes having to apply to their diocese for permission to admit children to communion. So what happens, if anything, will vary from parish to parish and diocese to diocese.

Upvote 0

glo1

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.
Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the Church of England its still a mess, with parishes having to apply to their diocese for permission to admit children to communion. So what happens, if anything, will vary from parish to parish and diocese to diocese.
That's true.
Our church is just going through that process - and that's the reason I was asking.

Upvote 0