Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What are your thoughts on Chastisement? I'm going through a season right now that I believe to be Chastisement, and would like to know your thoughts on the subject. Also, if anyone has any stories or words of encouragement or advise I really need it right now. Has any any experience they can share with me? It seems like it's never going to end, and I'd feel allot better if I knew it was going to end at some point.

fwiwwl

SINNER
Nov 7, 2005
✟1,258.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Our Father must love you! Like a loving earthly father, God desires us to stay on the good path. Venture off the path and get corrected. Fatherly correction is the most wonderful situation one can be in...........especially when it is over! With me, self-confidence was my time in the "woodshed" I found that He desired my total trust in Him and not in me. He loves our faith to be in Him and not in ourselves.

"To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified."

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, you have the book of Job, who cries out along with you. We are sharers in the suffering of Christ in a theological sense. From that perspective, you can have a certain moral certitude that you are one of God's children if you suffer for the Gospel (2 Tim 1:8, Heb 12:7-10).

If you have an ipod or want to listen at your computer, I recommend Dr. Peter Kreeft's 1 hour, 16 minute talk and Q&A on Making Sense Out of Suffering.

And be sure to pray for understanding and fortitude in these trials. :)

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are your thoughts on Chastisement? I'm going through a season right now that I believe to be Chastisement, and would like to know your thoughts on the subject. Also, if anyone has any stories or words of encouragement or advise I really need it right now. Has any any experience they can share with me? It seems like it's never going to end, and I'd feel allot better if I knew it was going to end at some point.

From a 'personal perspective' I can certainly testify to 'chastisement.' I often wondered in the past about WHY such things transpire. It's not that one might 'suffer' such things because of the (supposed) testimony or work that we (think) we are 'doing for the Lord' always, but just in the matters of the courses of LIFE.

When I came to know God in Christ it was at a very low point in my life. Where nothing and I mean NOTHING was 'going right.' God often reaches out to many of us when we are in the straights of desperation. That is where God met me, at my moment of need within and touched me therein.

External circumstances did not change. Without elaborations my personal travails were MULTI-fold and seemingly insurmountable. It took 16 very very long years of walking each day without any HOPE of resolution to come to a 'satisfactory completion' of these matters. I had other longer term believers tell me at the time that God could and work out such difficulties to satisfaction. It was hard for me at that time to really be able to see or perceive how that could be so. When one day I looked back it was amazing to see how in each and every turn, both good and bad, that the solutions were well in the works and yes, everything DID turn out OK... and far far better than I could have ever expected or thought of, the details of which will only remain special to me. That IS how God works with His children. The old pressure on the coal to make diamonds is a good analogy. The mountains can be climbed and they are so often by single steps in darkness not being able to see the WHOLE picture as it is being painted, and yes, often involving personal pain and turmoil and great anxieties.

On the other side of the mountain of chastisement past what one will often find AFTER THAT are even GREATER challenges that make the achievements of the past mountain climb look trivial. Yep. When one mountain is DONE you WILL find another even greater mountain of travail to take it's place.

In all of these things I learned to throw myself down in utter despair, knowing that I of my self CANNOT DO IT. It's NOT POSSIBLE. There are things in life that ONLY GOD can remedy. And in that walk the only thing LEFT to do is to walk each day in HOPE and in TRUST as these truly are part of the PACKAGE of FAITH, which 'works' through LOVE. The experiences of ALL of us will remain individualized and that too is part of the beauty of 'subjective' intimacy that is drawn out in the walk of faith.

The absolute greatest treasure that was given to me along this way is the both the scriptural understanding to love my neighbors as myself and the practical applications of that walk, even though they many may APPEAR to be enemies, and yes, God DOES raise our enemies, starting WITHIN. It is unto HIM that these must be carried and SHOWN and dealt with...we cannot HIDE what is within us. It WILL be revealed what is in the heart, sooner or later.

2 Chronicles 34:27
Because thine heart was tender, and thou didst humble thyself before God, when thou heardest his words against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, and humbledst thyself before me, and didst rend thy clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard thee also, saith the LORD.

Isaiah 26:20
Come, my people, enter thou into thy chambers, and shut thy doors about thee: hide thyself as it were for a little moment, until the indignation be overpast.

Jeremiah 45:5
And seekest thou great things for thyself? seek them not: for, behold, I will bring evil upon all flesh, saith the LORD: but thy life will I give unto thee for a prey in all places whither thou goest.

HOPE this helps from one believer to another. God is a most powerful ally. I could get into a theological dissection of WHY these things transpire because now I KNOW why, but troubles DO transpire. We are assured of THAT.

Here is how Paul 'lived' in his heart:

Romans 9:

1 I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,
2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.

If our walk is true, we will have no different.

enjoy!

squint

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey big Chris long time no see around here, i'd like to share with you a span of time of mine a few months back that'll hopefully encourage you.

I was going through a 21 day daniel fast. Being a self absorbent self focused person i had great anticipation of what i thought God was going to do in and around my life (tangibly)... MY EXPECTATIONS were embarrasingly high to say the least.

Let me be the first to say that personally MY time on this fast may have been some of the most mentally trying times i've gone through. Seriously, i felt i was being attacked from every angle; work,vehicles,family, health just to name a few. It was brutal and i embarrasingly admit i was blaming God and wondering what in the world, afterall i was doing something He tells us to do.

Here was the beauty of what i went through though, by His chastising my selfishness...This fast ultimately brought about a peace and reliance on God, i noticed myself handling things impossibly well considering the plethora of things attacking me, it reinforced my reliance on the sovereign ruler of the universe, i was also reminded clearly that as followers we should in NO way think that the path won't be rocky...In fact we are promised it will be rocky.

My growth in the LORD is hard to even put into words from this fast, truth is He broke down my self reliance and placed it back directly where it should be. On HIM.

I know somethimes it's hard to say to yourself, "i wonder what He is trying to teach me?"

but then the moral is... whatever it is, He always knows best.

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Castigation (from the Latin castigatio), chastisement (via the French châtiment), or chiding is the infliction of severe (moral or corporal) punishment. One who administers a castigation is a castigator or chastiser.

In earlier times, castigation specifically meant restoring one to a religiously pure state, called chastity. In ancient Rome, it was also a term for the magistrate called a censor (in the original sense, rather than the later politicized evolution), who castigated in the name of the pagan state religion but with the authority of the 'pious' state.

In Christian times, this terminology was adopted but roughly restricted to the physical sphere: chastity became a matter of approved sexual conduct, castigation usually meaning physical punishment, either as a form of penance, as a voluntary pious exercise (see
mortification of the flesh) or as educational or other coercion, while the use for other (e.g. verbal) punishments (and criticism etc.) is now often perceived as metaphorical.

Self-castigation is applied by the repentant culprit to himself, for moral and/or religious reasons, notably as penance.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Upvote 0

fwiwwl

SINNER
Nov 7, 2005
✟1,258.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Can you be chastised for a sin that you continue to commit? If so what is the difference between Chastisement and punishment?
For 4000 years man tried to stop sinning. Do you think you can stop on your own? Is it within your power? Turn to Him and don't worry about it! If you believe you can be righteous on your own then what need is there for Jesus?

Upvote 0

BigChrisfilm

Contributor
Feb 17, 2006
Portsmouth Ohio
Visit site
✟15,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
For 4000 years man tried to stop sinning. Do you think you can stop on your own? Is it within your power? Turn to Him and don't worry about it! If you believe you can be righteous on your own then what need is there for Jesus?

I certainly do not think I can do it on my own. That's where the confusion has always lied with this sin I'm afraid. I've prayed about it, and I believe I've always had a true desire to rid it from my life. However, it seems that God is telling me it's time for this one to go.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.