Charles Darwin is accused of stealing Theory of Evolution from rival naturalist in history's biggest

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
New evidence proves Charles Darwin stole Theory of Evolution from rival naturalist | Daily Mail Online

"Charles Darwin is credited with transforming the understanding of natural history – but a new book claims to have found evidence that he stole his Theory of Evolution.

Written by an experienced criminologist, it argues there are overwhelming similarities between Darwin’s seminal On The Origin Of Species and an earlier work by a naturalist called Patrick Matthew."

Every time something secular turns out to be fake and ghey you have to drink 10 shots.

• Informative
Reactions: Ligurian

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟173,606.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
New evidence proves Charles Darwin stole Theory of Evolution from rival naturalist | Daily Mail Online

"Charles Darwin is credited with transforming the understanding of natural history – but a new book claims to have found evidence that he stole his Theory of Evolution.

Written by an experienced criminologist, it argues there are overwhelming similarities between Darwin’s seminal On The Origin Of Species and an earlier work by a naturalist called Patrick Matthew."

Every time something secular turns out to be fake and ghey you have to drink 10 shots.

I'd suggest that every time a creationist presents something on Darwin that turns out to be fake and ghey you have to take a shot but consuming that much alcohol would be deadly.

Lets look at this nonsense:
one of the claims is: "While claims that Darwin borrowed from Matthew have been aired before, the book contains new evidence, including that when Matthew confronted him, Darwin claimed no one had heard of Matthew or his theory. In fact, according to Dr Sutton, Matthew’s book had been cited and reviewed by Darwin’s friends, colleagues and even his mentors in 30 leading publications. In his own journals, Darwin admits to having read at least five publications in which Matthew’s work featured."

But leaves out the baskic facts that Matthew's book Naval Timber and Arboriculture which covered the then very important topic of how to grow, harvest and prepare trees for the building of ships. In one of the appendixes of this book there is a brief write up of the idea of natural selection but at two mages it lacked the years documentation and research and the accumulation of data on dozens of species.

Darwin responded to his discovery of Matthew's work: "I freely acknowledge that Mr. Matthew has anticipated by many years the explanation which I have offered of the origin of species, under the name of natural selection. I can do no more than offer my apologies to Mr. Matthew for my entire ignorance of his publication." Darwin also included the entirety of Matthew's two pages and his acknowledgement that Matthews had the idea first in every edition of his book after that

Last edited:
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,244.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

Patrick Matthew

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟370,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd suggest that every time a creationist presents something on Darwin that turns out to be fake and ghey you have to take a shot but consuming that much alcohol would be deadly.

Lets look at this nonsense:
one of the claims is: "While claims that Darwin borrowed from Matthew have been aired before, the book contains new evidence, including that when Matthew confronted him, Darwin claimed no one had heard of Matthew or his theory. In fact, according to Dr Sutton, Matthew’s book had been cited and reviewed by Darwin’s friends, colleagues and even his mentors in 30 leading publications. In his own journals, Darwin admits to having read at least five publications in which Matthew’s work featured."

But leaves out the baskic facts that Matthew's book Naval Timber and Arboriculture which covered the then very important topic of how to grow, harvest and prepare trees for the building of ships. In one of the appendixes of this book there is a brief write up of the idea of natural selection but at two mages it lacked the years documentation and research and the accumulation of data on dozens of species.

Darwin responded to his discovery of Matthew's work: "I freely acknowledge that Mr. Matthew has anticipated by many years the explanation which I have offered of the origin of species, under the name of natural selection. I can do no more than offer my apologies to Mr. Matthew for my entire ignorance of his publication." Darwin also included the entirety of Matthew's two pages and his acknowledgement that Matthews had the idea first in every edition of his book after that

In fact, the conjecture had been kicked around for years before Darwin (and independently, Wallace) actually formulated testable hypotheses and then went out and checked the evidence to see if they were correct. Darwin's own grandfather had some ideas about it. But Darwin and Wallace turned that conjecture into a well-documented theory. So they get the credit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟43,414.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
“E pur si muove."― Galileo Galilei
Apparently that saying too is apocryphal, being unattested until a century after Galileo's trial in 1633, when it was supposedly uttered - perhaps in the form "Eppur si muove".

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟670,222.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Charles Darwin spent his entire life working on the Theory of Evolution. To say that he stole it is ridiculous. Darwin spent thousands of hours looking at barnacles with a magnifying glass and so became an expert on barnacles. Perhaps he was the greatest living expert on that subject. It was his use of evidence gathered from his study of barnacles that convinced the Royal Society that evolution wasn't just a philosophical conjecture but something backed by evidence.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟370,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Stealing is only wrong if Darwin was wrong. Otherwise stealing is good. Survival of the fittest.

You're confusing nature with morality. Nature has no morals. Fortunately, most people do. Scientists will tell you that nature is a very bad place to get your morals.

Charles Darwin spent his entire life working on the Theory of Evolution. To say that he stole it is ridiculous. Darwin spent thousands of hours looking at barnacles with a magnifying glass and so became an expert on barnacles. Perhaps he was the greatest living expert on that subject. It was his use of evidence gathered from his study of barnacles that convinced the Royal Society that evolution wasn't just a philosophical conjecture but something backed by evidence.

By the time Darwin was a adult, many scientists were aware that some kind of evolution had to have happened. Darwin's great discovery was the way it works.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟246,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're confusing nature with morality. Nature has no morals. Fortunately, most people do. Scientists will tell you that nature is a very bad place to get your morals.

Then they'd be the ones trying to ride two horses going in opposite directions, not me. God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟370,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Then they'd be the ones trying to ride two horses going in opposite directions,

Natural man would say that. To a natural man, Jesus was a sucker and a loser. Scientists realize that we are not bound by nature unless we let it be so:

The surgeon may harden himself whilst performing an operation, for he knows that he is acting for the good of his patient; but if we were intentionally to neglect the weak and helpless, it could only be for a contingent benefit, with an overwhelming present evil.
Charles Darwin The Descent of Man

That is how a scientist would see it.

not me. God Bless :)

Fortunately, not very many.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟670,222.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Stealing is only wrong if Darwin was wrong. Otherwise stealing is good. Survival of the fittest. God Bless :)

You're putting words in Darwin's mouth that he never said.
I assume that you know that Charles Darwin was a Church of England minister.

Upvote 0