Charging interest: sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soon Rev 22:11-12

Feb 26, 2005
✟760.00
Faith
Christian
"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest." Exodus 22:25

"Do not take interest of any kind from him... You must not lend him money at interest..." Leviticus 25:36-37

"You may charge a foreigner interest, but not a brother Israelite, so that the LORD your God may bless you in everything you put your hand to in the land you are entering to possess." Deuteronomy 23:20

Do the principles apply today to you and me? To banks?

Soon Rev 22:11-12

Feb 26, 2005
✟760.00
Faith
Christian
Iollain said:
Well no, these are Jewish laws, the bank is a business kind of thing. It would be something a Christian could do though when lending money
They aren't Jewish laws; they are God's laws. Is God in favor of charging interest?

God has no theocracy today, but Christians could use their governments' representative democracies to cause banks to obey these principles, couldn't they?

Upvote 0

Entertaining_Angels

Aug 12, 2004
east coast
✟23,975.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I tend to believe most Christians would never charge a family member interest for a personal loan so why would we charge a brother or sister in Christ interest? If we did, would we not be earning a profit off of their misfortune? But as with all things 'Christian', doesn't apply to non-Christians so yes, banks can charge interest.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They aren't Jewish laws; they are God's laws. Is God in favor of charging interest?
I'm pretty sure God doesn't care one way or the other as long as we deal fairly with each other.

God has no theocracy today, but Christians could use their governments' representative democracies to cause banks to obey these principles, couldn't they?
uhmmm why would we want to? We already saw it didn't work once, why repeat something that already failed? :scratch:
tulc(has no desire to live in a Theocracy before Jesus comes back!) :)

Upvote 0

Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Soon Rev 22:11-12 said:
"If you lend money to one of my people among you who is needy, do not be like a moneylender; charge him no interest." Exodus 22:25

"Do not take interest of any kind from him... You must not lend him money at interest..." Leviticus 25:36-37

"You may charge a foreigner interest, but not a brother Israelite, so that the LORD your God may bless you in everything you put your hand to in the land you are entering to possess." Deuteronomy 23:20

Do the principles apply today to you and me? To banks?

:idea: About banks - a lot of people make their living on it, and they need salary...
But for ordinary people, no... I would never take interest from anyone, though I would lend, or give, what I could, if needed by a friend...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.