JamesP

Feb 28, 2007
✟7,615.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In answer to the questions about becoming a Chaplin, or a Chaplin's assistant:

First, let me start by saying God brought me here to post. He has called me to search for you.

I am a recently retired U.S. Army National Guard Captain, and am now also working to find those interested in becoming Chaplins or Chaplin Assistants, and connecting them with openings in the Army National Guard in Michigan.

A Chaplin is an ordained minister, and an officer. He/She is the spiritual adviser to the Commander; is the spiritual advisor to the men and women in the unit as part of the Unit Ministry Team (UMT). He/she performs religious duties, provides counseling, assists the people with their needs.

The Army National Guard needs chaplins very much right now. You must have finished seminary and also have the endorsement of your faith denomination. Age is 18 to 35, although the high end age is being waived now for some people due to the shortage.

Chaplins must assist all religions in providing an opportunity to worship in their faith, and although the vast majority of American soldiers are of Christian background, you will find non-believers, and people of other faith. You are not asked to compromise your beliefs, but to be an example of the tolerance and love for others. One more thing- Chaplins are not permitted to carry weapons. Those close to graduation from a seminary may be able to apply to a Chaplin Candidate program.

Chaplin Assistants: Are lay people who assist the Chaplin in their duties, witness to others about their faith, provide administrative assistance to the Chaplin, and provide support duties. Chaplin assistants are enlisted rather than officers. Some Chaplin assistants later go on to become Chaplins themselves, but not often. It is possible, however.

Both are in high need right now. The Army National Guard is short. If you are being called to service as a military chaplin or chaplin assistant in Michigan, please contact me, so that we can talk, and I can help steer you in the right direction. There is money available to support, you can get all the tuition assistance you need, a signing bonus, etc.

thank you.
Jim Pratt
Cpt, Retired, Michigan Army National Guard

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
thanks for posting this. although I am not a christian, I do know there is a need for chaplains and a shortage of same. I remember times in the past when I served where one my troops didnt have anyone to in spiritual matters or there was no one to hold a service in th field.

One's faith is important and helping that faith is just as important.

Again, thanks for posting this. Maybe someone will see it and act on it?????

Upvote 0

ChristianMilitaryWife

Dec 27, 2006
✟15,432.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is what it is for Active Duty Army so I wouldn't think it would be to much different for National Guard

Officer Job Description

Chaplain (56)

Branch description.Acts as staff officer for all matters in which religion impacts on command programs, personnel, policies and procedures. Coordinates/directs a complete program of religious ministries, including workshops, pastoral counseling, religious education, and other activities for active and retired military personnel and their family members. Duties are those which normally pertain to the duties of a clergy person as they may be prescribed by law and modified by the organizational mission and environment. Provides leadership for moral, ethical and human self-development programs.
Branch qualifications.DA Pam 600-3 lists qualifications for entry and professional development in this branch.
Command and Unit Chaplain (56A).
Description of duties.Performs duties as outlined above as staff, deputy staff, or assistant chaplain at all levels of command. Provides religious coverage for parent organization, as well as other organizations and units. Supervises other chaplains and staff in pro­viding a broad religious program designed to meet the needs of the organization and military community.
Special qualifications.Must have satisfactorily completed college and theological, or equivalent, graduate training.
Special grading of positions.None.
Unique duty positions.
(a) Staff Chaplain.
(b) Confinement Facility Chaplain.
(c) Community Parish Pastor.
(d) Interreligious Relations Chaplain.
(e) Chaplain Resources Manager.
Clinical Pastoral Educator (56D).
Description of duties.Directs Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) and other chaplain professional training programs. Screens students for selection. Develops curriculum, trains students, and consults with student’s commanders and chaplain supervisors on plans for professional development. Conducts interdisciplinary training with other military and civilian agencies. Advises installation chaplain and training steering committees on professional accreditation requirements. Represents installation at regional and national professional training conferences.
Special qualifications.Must have a minimum of 1 year of post graduate training in pastoral education, and be certified as a supervisor of Clinical Pastoral Education or a comparable profes­sional organization. Application must be made through the supervisory chaplain.
Special grading of positions. None.
Unique duty positions.
(a) Clinical Pastoral Educator.
(b) Professional Training Chaplain.
(c) Supervisor, Clinical Pastoral Education.

Upvote 0

Historygeek

Jan 2, 2007
Livingston MT
✟7,819.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
have you heard about the latest act of treason? there's a group called the Freedom From Religion Foundation, and they're suing the the government to get all mention of God taken away from any government institution whatsoever. If they succeed, not only will there be no more Chaplans in the military, but anyone who serves in the armed forces, or any other federal jobs, who confesses a belief in God, faces termination and possible criminal prosecution under the law the FFRF would like passed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rppearso

Sep 8, 2006
Alaska
✟1,061.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That's what I went to I just mis-typed it in my reply.

Nevermind... obviously you can't just point out the exact URL which tells me that you either are mis-interperting it or that it doesn't exsist.
That was a little offensive are we writing a college report here, this is (at least for me) a past time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rppearso

Sep 8, 2006
Alaska
✟1,061.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If you're going to claim something is in writing you should be willing and ready to provide proof of such info. It's called standing by what you're saying.
Whatever, this is a past time forum not the pentagon or my day job, this forum serves solely as entertainment.

Upvote 0

stormgade4

The Industrial Average
Oct 6, 2003
Visit site
✟1,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I read a great book last year called "A Table In The Presence" by Lt Carey Cash.

He is a Navy chaplain attached to a Marine company that was among the spearhead for the invasion of Iraq in March 2003. There is alot of honor in being a chaplain. And I can imagine this would be so in any service.

I think I would enjoy being a chaplain, except for the non-bearing of arms. If I'm in a convoy that comes under attack, I want to be the first to strike with rifle blazing. Theatrics aside, I really would feel vulnerable if I couldn't use a weapon in a hostile situation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.