Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi guys- my questioning of EGW's state as a prophet has gotten very serious right about now. As such, I'm going to change my icon. While I hold beliefs still that are not linked in with her visions, my questioning of EGW could lead many astray in perhaps what I may say in being an adventist, and I don't think I'm a fair representation of one for the forum. So for now, I'm going to have a 'Christian' icon- though I will still post in here :thumbsup: since I still am holding pretty much everything else up in the Adventist doctrines right now ^_^ and still haven't quite let go of her yet.

Reactions: Sophia7

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am still making my mind up about her too, so I'm considering changing my icon as well. I actually prefer to be known as first a Christian, and then a Seventhy-day Adventist (or Sabbath keeper), and not so it seems the other way round...
So do I :thumbsup: I live for Christ, and in doing so I follow certain doctrines- I don't live for the church. One thing that can so easily happen is that you forget about following what you see is right because the church tells you no.

Good luck on your questing of truth, Bonnie :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the problems we, as sinful man, have brought upon ourselves is to think there is any such thing as a remnant church. Many groups of people have come to the conclusion that there is a remnant church and the name of that church is the Seventh Day Adventist or any other denominational name. The Bible never talks about a remnant church. What the Bible does talk about is a remnant people. These people will have a manifestation of the Father's character in how they live their lives.

The name Seventh Day Adventist came long after God began establishing His people on this earth through His Son Jesus Christ.

As these people begin to individually grow they will find themselves seeking the body of Christ, also known as, the church. Those who are involved in this heavenly calling will find themselves being drawn to others of like minded faith, the faith of Christ. These people are called God's children and were later given a name by man as Christians because they followed Christ.

The logo one should display if one would want to identify with a particular group should be the cross of Christ. Displaying a denominational logo or icon may help others understand what you believe but just as with any denominational icon or logo comes all the baggage that particular denomination carries.

I believe Ellen White should be treated just like any other inspired Christian writer. If she writes or says something that can be found in Scripture and brings a clearer understanding of what is found in Scripture then we are to receive it and be blessed just like any other Christian writer. But if she says or writes things that are not found in Scripture then we are to view it just like if any other Christian writer wrote it.

A Prophet today is one who speaks and expounds from the written words that are already found in the Bible. God may speak through today's Prophet to direct an individual or a church by pointing out things that are not acceptable to God. This is done because some times we can't see the forest because of the trees. God can give directions through today's Prophet for the plans and goals of a particular person or group of people, as far as, what and how to do a particular thing. Today's Prophet can be anyone who is open and available to be used by God. We are not to exalt this person nor are we to seek new revelations from this person regarding God other than what has already been revealed through His Son and the Apostles.

Acts 20:26-27 So, today I can tell you one thing that I am sure of: I'm not to blame, if some of you will not be saved! I can say this, because I know I told you everything that God wants you to know.

Having said all this, don't feel that you are any less a child of God because of a denominational icon or logo. In the kingdom there will be no Seventh Day Adventists nor will there be Catholics, only God's children will be there.

John 1:12-13 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Matthew 12:48-50 But He answered and said to the one who told Him, "Who is My mother and who are My brothers?'' And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers! "For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.''

May the Father be exalted through the work of His Son in us. Amen and amen...

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
agreed Maco, but there is just something in humans that makes them want to set themselves apart from others then boast about that "uniqueness." It is unfortunate that we will not allow Christ to transform us and make us what He wants.....

We are still babes in Christ, all of our claims to having "the truth" notwithstanding....

Upvote 0

RC_NewProtestants

Senior Veteran
May 2, 2006
Washington State
Visit site
✟18,250.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with Maco with the exception of this part:
A Prophet today is one who speaks and expounds from the written words that are already found in the Bible. God may speak through today's Prophet to direct an individual or a church by pointing out things that are not acceptable to God.

That would be a teacher or pastor it does not take a prophet. In fact I agree with Dr. Walter Martin that there is not longer an office of prophet as it is not needed because the foundation was already laid by the prophets and the Apostles and the chief cornerstone Christ. That does not mean that someone could not still be given the gift of prophecy. Because that still happens for instance when person says the right thing to the right person at the right time, but now we test every prophecy and hold on to what is good and discard what is not.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That would be a teacher or pastor it does not take a prophet. In fact I agree with Dr. Walter Martin that there is not longer an office of prophet as it is not needed because the foundation was already laid by the prophets and the Apostles and the chief cornerstone Christ. That does not mean that someone could not still be given the gift of prophecy. Because that still happens for instance when person says the right thing to the right person at the right time, but now we test every prophecy and hold on to what is good and discard what is not.

When teachers and pastors fail to do their part in administering timely truths, God raises up a prophet.

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When teachers and pastors fail to do their part in administering timely truths, God raises up a prophet.
There hasn't been a live prophet in almost 100 years. So that means what? That pastors and teachers are doing what they should do?

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There hasn't been a live prophet in almost 100 years. So that means what? That pastors and teachers are doing what they should do?

Not necessarily. God does things according to His time.

But what makes you so sure there hasn't been, or isn't a prophet in office today, or prophets for that matter?

Maybe there are plenty of prophets in office today, and most people just aren't listening to what they have to say, as they should.

Of course, a prophet doesn't necessarily have to be an SDA either.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is exactly what I was saying...Amen.

When the Bible says your sons and your daughters will prophesy it's not a title such as seen in the OT, but rather, it's an event were people speak under the inspiration of the Spirit. The title prophet was given to certain men and woman in the OT as a title or office whereas, the gift of prophesy in the NT is not as much an office as it is a gift.

Upvote 0

StormyOne

Senior Veteran
Aug 21, 2005
Alabama
✟5,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not necessarily. God does things according to His time.

But what makes you so sure there hasn't been, or isn't a prophet in office today, or prophets for that matter?

Maybe there are plenty of prophets in office today, and most people just aren't listening to what they have to say, as they should.

Of course, a prophet doesn't necessarily have to be an SDA either.
hmmmm a prophet, and not sda, that would put a wrinkle in the Remnant Theology wouldn't it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟982,434.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I am a first generation SDA who once questioned several of the then 27 fundamental beliefs of the SDA Church, especially the ones concerning the Law, the Sabbath, the state of the dead, the prophetic ministry of EGW, etc., however, as I examined the Bible to refute these, as well as the writings of EGW to refute EGW, the opposite happened, but onlly because I had an open mind, which is the type of mind the Holy Spirit can guide and direct. I was guided and directed by the Holy Spirit that what I examined established these things as truth.

I also examined the tests of a true prophet of God and was also guided and directed by the Holy Spirit to believe that EGW was indeed called by God to be His messenger through visions and dreams, which she put in writing for us to read and examine in the light of the Bible.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a first generation SDA who once questioned several of the then 27 fundamental beliefs of the SDA Church, especially the ones concerning the Law, the Sabbath, the state of the dead, the prophetic ministry of EGW, etc., however, as I examined the Bible to refute these, as well as the writings of EGW to refute EGW, the opposite happened, but onlly because I had an open mind, which is the type of mind the Holy Spirit can guide and direct. I was guided and directed by the Holy Spirit that what I examined established these things as truth.

I also examined the tests of a true prophet of God and was also guided and directed by the Holy Spirit to believe that EGW was indeed called by God to be His messenger through visions and dreams, which she put in writing for us to read and examine in the light of the Bible.

So why then are you compromising with those who are distorting the truth?

Even though I didn't like what you did with 3ABN, I thought that I could at least count on you to stand firm for what we believe, and do what is right for this forum.

I was wrong.

Upvote 0