Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
unknown tongue = uninterpreted language / foreign language

As per 1 Corinthians 14:21
A cut-and-paste from my post #76 where the commentator, Leon Morris is not a charismatic.
  • Leon Morris (1 Corinthians) 1958, p.167 (neither a charismatic nor cessationist)
The ability to speak in different kinds of tongues appears to have been a special form of speech when the person uttering the words did not know what they meant (unless he also had the gift of interpretation). Some have interpreted this from Acts 2, where ‘tongues’ seems to mean speaking in foreign language. But it is difficult to see this here. Whereas in Acts 2 the characteristic is intelligibility (Acts 2:8-11), here the characteristic is unintelligibility (‘no-one understands him’, 1Cor 14:2), but one exercised among believers. It is not understood by people who speak other languages, but requires a special gift of interpretation. Without that gift of interpretation, the speaker in tongues is to speak ‘to speak to himself and God (14:28), which is a strange way to treat one of the world’s recognised languages”.​

Upvote 0

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
A cut-and-paste from my post #76 where the commentator, Leon Morris is not a charismatic.
  • Leon Morris (1 Corinthians) 1958, p.167 (neither a charismatic nor cessationist)
The ability to speak in different kinds of tongues appears to have been a special form of speech when the person uttering the words did not know what they meant (unless he also had the gift of interpretation). Some have interpreted this from Acts 2, where ‘tongues’ seems to mean speaking in foreign language. But it is difficult to see this here. Whereas in Acts 2 the characteristic is intelligibility (Acts 2:8-11), here the characteristic is unintelligibility (‘no-one understands him’, 1Cor 14:2), but one exercised among believers. It is not understood by people who speak other languages, but requires a special gift of interpretation. Without that gift of interpretation, the speaker in tongues is to speak ‘to speak to himself and God (14:28), which is a strange way to treat one of the world’s recognised languages”.

In the case scenario of no interpreter, as per 1 Corinthians 14:21.

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Strong's Greek: 1085. γένος (genos) — 21 Occurrences

Matthew 13:47 N-GNS
GRK: ἐκ παντὸς γένους συναγαγούσῃ
NAS: and gathering [fish] of every kind;
KJV: of every kind:
INT: of every kind having gathered together

Matthew 17:21 Noun-NNS
GRK: δὲ τὸ γένος οὐκ ἐκπορεύεται
KJV: Howbeit this kind goeth not
INT: however kind not goes out

Mark 7:26 N-DNS
GRK: Συροφοινίκισσα τῷ γένει καὶ ἠρώτα
NAS: of the Syrophoenician race. And she kept asking
KJV: a Syrophenician by nation; and
INT: Syrophoenician by the race and asked

Mark 9:29 N-NNS
GRK: Τοῦτο τὸ γένος ἐν οὐδενὶ
NAS: to them, This kind cannot
KJV: unto them, This kind can come forth
INT: This the kind by nothing

Acts 4:6 N-GNS
GRK: ἦσαν ἐκ γένους ἀρχιερατικοῦ
NAS: were of high-priestly descent.
KJV: of the kindred of the high priest,
INT: were of descent high priestly

Acts 4:36 N-DNS
GRK: Κύπριος τῷ γένει
NAS: of Cyprian birth, who was also called
KJV: a Levite, [and] of the country of Cyprus,
INT: a Cypriot at the birth

Acts 7:13 N-NNS
GRK: Φαραὼ τὸ γένος τοῦ Ἰωσήφ
NAS: and Joseph's family was disclosed
KJV: and Joseph's kindred was made known
INT: to Pharoah the family of Joseph

Acts 7:19 N-ANS
GRK: κατασοφισάμενος τὸ γένος ἡμῶν ἐκάκωσεν
NAS: It was he who took shrewd advantage of our race and mistreated
KJV: with our kindred, and evil entreated
INT: having dealt treacherously with the race of us ill-treated

Acts 13:26 N-GNS
GRK: ἀδελφοί υἱοὶ γένους Ἀβραὰμ καὶ
NAS: of Abraham's family, and those
KJV: children of the stock of Abraham,
INT: brothers sons of [the] race of Abraham and

Acts 17:28 N-NNS
GRK: γὰρ καὶ γένος ἐσμέν
KJV: also his offspring.
INT: indeed also offspring we are

Acts 17:29 N-NNS
GRK: γένος οὖν ὑπάρχοντες
KJV: as we are the offspring of God,
INT: Offspring therefore being

Acts 18:2 N-DNS
GRK: Ποντικὸν τῷ γένει προσφάτως ἐληλυθότα
NAS: Aquila, a native of Pontus,
KJV: named Aquila, born in Pontus, lately
INT: of Pontus by race lately come

Acts 18:24 N-DNS
GRK: Ἀλεξανδρεὺς τῷ γένει ἀνὴρ λόγιος
NAS: an Alexandrian by birth, an eloquent
KJV: Apollos, born at Alexandria,
INT: an Alexandrian by birth man an eloquent

1 Corinthians 12:10
N-NNP
GRK: πνευμάτων ἑτέρῳ γένη γλωσσῶν ἄλλῳ

NAS: to another [various] kinds of tongues,
KJV: to another [divers] kinds of tongues;
INT: of spirits and to a different one kinds of tongues to another

1 Corinthians 12:28 N-ANP

GRK: ἀντιλήμψεις κυβερνήσεις γένη γλωσσῶν
NAS: administrations, [various] kinds of tongues.
KJV: governments, diversities of tongues.
INT: helping administrating various kinds of tongues

1 Corinthians 14:10 N-NNP

GRK: εἰ τύχοι γένη φωνῶν εἰσὶν
NAS: a great many kinds of languages
KJV: it may be, so many kinds of voices in
INT: if it may be kinds of languages are

Genos is translated in these three verses as diverse, diversities, and kinds

2 Corinthians 11:26 N-GNS
GRK: κινδύνοις ἐκ γένους κινδύνοις ἐξ
NAS: dangers from [my] countrymen, dangers
KJV: by [mine own] countrymen, [in] perils
INT: in perils from [my own] race in perils from

Galatians 1:14 N-DNS
GRK: ἐν τῷ γένει μου περισσοτέρως
NAS: among my countrymen, being
KJV: mine own nation, being
INT: in the countrymen of me more abundantly

Philippians 3:5 N-GNS
GRK: ὀκταήμερος ἐκ γένους Ἰσραήλ φυλῆς
NAS: the eighth day, of the nation of Israel,
KJV: day, of the stock of Israel,
INT: on [the] eighth day of [the] race of Israel of [the] tribe

1 Peter 2:9 N-NNS
GRK: ὑμεῖς δὲ γένος ἐκλεκτόν βασίλειον
NAS: But you are A CHOSEN RACE, A royal
KJV: [are] a chosen generation, a royal
INT: you however [are] a race chosen a royal

Revelation 22:16 N-NNS
GRK: καὶ τὸ γένος Δαυίδ ὁ
NAS: the root and the descendant of David,
KJV: and the offspring of David,
INT: and the offspring of David the

1085. genos
Strong's Concordance
genos: family, offspring
Original Word: γένος, ους, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: genos
Phonetic Spelling: (ghen'-os)
Short Definition: offspring, family, race, kind
Definition: offspring, family, race, nation, kind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Strong's Greek: 1085. γένος (genos) — 21 Occurrences

Matthew 13:47 N-GNS
GRK: ἐκ παντὸς γένους συναγαγούσῃ
NAS: and gathering [fish] of every kind;
KJV: of every kind:
INT: of every kind having gathered together
With the 21 passages that you have provided, I'm not sure why you have provided them as they fully support the Lexical definitions that I have previously supplied.

With your first reference, the passage is not only referring to "families" of fish that can breed amongst themselves, but this also points out that even though each genos "family", "kind" or "species" of fish can breed amongst themselves, we also know that even though all of these individual "families" share some similarities, for instance they can each breathe underwater, there are still many dissimilarities or things that they do not have in common where they cannot interbreed. For instance, a giant barracuda shares some similarities with a sardine but they have nothing in common other than they both live in the sea.

Conclusion: This has a direct correlation between intelligible human languages and unintelligible tongues. Both the intelligibility of human language and the unintelligibility of angelic utterance share a kind of relationship in that they are both spoken which places them both within a family; but this does not mean that the genos "kind" or "family" are the same.

I could go through each of the 21 references where I could easily point out the same thing but as the Lexical entries that I have provided from the TDNT, VGNT and BAGD have already explained this then it will not be necessary to do so.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That's not true. The only full definition of tongues in the Bible (Acts 2) states clearly that tongues were understandable human languages: "how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born?". Same with Acts 10 where they were specifically heard "exalting God" (Acts 10:46) in tongues in the same way the disciples did at Pentecost (Acts 10:47, Acts 11:15, Acts 11:17).
Could it be that the Bible you own is missing the Book of First Corinthians? This seems to be a common malady amongst cessationists. Even though I have already covered this point in some detail, let me recap:

12:4

There are different kinds of gifts [free-graces], but the same Spirit distributes them.​

12:7

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.

(8) To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom,
to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit,

(9) to another faith by the same Spirit,
to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit,

(10) to another miraculous powers,
to another prophecy,
to another distinguishing between spirits,
to another speaking in different kinds of tongues,
and to still another the interpretation of tongues

(11) All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.​

13:1 Paul connects praying in the Spirit with the tongue(s) of the Angels

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels,​

14:2 Tongues are always directed to the Father, no man can understand what the Spirit says.

For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.​

14:6-8 Paul does not connect glossa with language, but with sound (GK. Phone). If Paul had considered that tongues was (or even on the odd occasion) be in a known human language, then he certainly would not have bothered connecting tongues with ‘sounds’.

Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of [sounds] languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of [the sound] what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.​

14:13-17 Paul contrasts praying in his native language (with the mind) as against praying in the Spirit (Holy Spirit / Angelic tongue).

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit [Holy Spirit, S/spirit] prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit [S/spirit], but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit [S/spirit], but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer, say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.​

14:39
Even though I have posted this particular verse, I have not included it as a proof text as the NIV rendition of pneumatikos by the NIV translators was a mistake, where they translated pneumatikos as ‘gifted by the Spirit’ instead of ‘those who are spiritual’.

If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command.

. . . . . . .

I will address the rest of your post sometime later today after we return from church.

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No it is quite simply gibberish with no relevance towards biblical tongues and serves no role in edifying anyone but one's personal delusions.

These aren't the tongues of angels. It is gibberish.

• Angel means messenger
      • Hebrew: "malak": angel(s)-110x; messenger(s)-100x; ambassadors-2x; envoys-1x
      • Messenger/Prophet/Angel - Hag. 1:13
      • Messenger/Priest/Teacher/Angel - Mal. 2:7
      • Messenger/Prophet/Angel (John the Baptist) - Mal. 3:1
      • Greek: "Aggellos": Angel(s)-89x; messenger(s)-7x
    • Usage of angel in NT:
      • Created beings superior to man: Ax 23:8; Heb 1:7,14
      • John the baptist: Mt 11:10; Mk 1:2; Lk 7:27
      • Messengers of John the Baptist: Lk 7:24
      • Messengers of Christ: Lk 9:52
      • Jewish spies: Jas 2:25
      • Tongues of men and angels 1 Cor. 13:1
Both Hebrew and Greek words for "angels" can have many definitions such as angel, prophet, priest, and teacher.

In other words, Paul in 1 Cor. 13:1 could be rendered:

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of messengers

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of priests

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of prophets

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of teachers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,747.00
Faith
Christian
14:6-8 Paul does not connect glossa with language, but with sound (GK. Phone). If Paul had considered that tongues was (or even on the odd occasion) be in a known human language, then he certainly would not have bothered connecting tongues with ‘sounds’

Paul isn't connecting glossa with sounds at all in these verses. In 1 Cor 14:7-12 Paul is simply making illustrations to emphasize his complaint against the Corinthians that speech which is not understood is futile. A series of random notes on the pipe or harp means nothing, but played properly people can recognise a familiar tune. And unless the bugle gives a recognizable call no one will know if it is a battle call. The sounds in these examples must be familiar to the hearer in order to be worth anything. Similarly speaking in a foreign language that no one understands is useless. Only God, who knows all languages, will understand. Verse 9 spells it out to them: "Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air." The words spoken at the meeting must be familiar to the hearers in order to be worth anything. The solution is for the foreign language to be translated (v13).

Glossa means the same as it does in Acts - foreign languages (the common meaning of the word in this context). There is absolutely no basis for thinking otherwise. If you look at 1 Cor 14 in the NIV you will notice there is a footnote beside every instance of 'tongue' that says 'Or another language", indicating the real meaning of the word. If you then read the chapter replacing 'tongue' with 'another language' it makes perfect sense. Try it.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Glossa means the same as it does in Acts - foreign languages (the common meaning of the word in this context). There is absolutely no basis for thinking otherwise. If you look at 1 Cor 14 in the NIV you will notice there is a footnote beside every instance of 'tongue' that says 'Or another language", indicating the real meaning of the word. If you then read the chapter replacing 'tongue' with 'another language' it makes perfect sense. Try it.

I can understand why you have thought that there was some merit with quoting a footnote from the NIV as I have of course demonstrated without any doubt that the finest lexicons of our day all say that that the primary meaning of glossa is with the physical organ of the tongue; no scholar or commentator of any standing would say otherwise.

Now back to the NIV/1. As the NIV translators have correctly associated glossa, with language, where the physical organ is the agent of this language, then you would be correct. But what you have failed to observe (again) is that language can be both articulate (“with the mind” 1Cor 14:14) which relates to human language and (“in the Spirit” 1Cor 14;14) which relates to inarticulate language or as Paul says, in the “tongues of Angels”.

Then we have the footnote to 1Cor 14:2 (and others);

14:2 tongue. See NIV text note. The hearers cannot understand what the person who speaks in a tongue is saying. Therefore what he says is a mystery unless it is interpreted. Only God understands it. with his spirit. It is not spoken from the mind (see vv. 14-17)”.

14:14 mind is unfruitful. When a person speaks in tongues or prays in tongues, the human mind does not produce the language”.

14:15-17 pray . . . sing . . . praising God . . . say “Amen” . . . thanksgiving. Elements employed in OT (1Ch 16:36; Ne 5:13; 8:6; Ps 104:33; 136:1; 148:1) and NT worship (Ro 11:36; Eph 5:18-20). “Amen,” meaning “It is true” or “So be it,” is the believers confession of agreement with the words spoken (cf. Gal 1:5). Thus it is important that a message in tongues be interpreted.​

To summarise, the NIV is saying that when we pray in the S/spirit that it will always be in an inarticulate language which absolutely no man will be able to understand unless the speaker, or another person is able to articulate in the Spirit what was being said to the Father.

How you can get “foreign languages” from First Corinthians has me absolutely stumped! I hope you don’t mind me asking, are you possibly a high school student?

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
No it is quite simply gibberish with no relevance towards biblical tongues and serves no role in edifying anyone but one's personal delusions.

• Angel means messenger
    • Usage of angel in NT:
Both Hebrew and Greek words for "angels" can have many definitions such as angel, prophet, priest, and teacher.

Oh dear, not again!

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,747.00
Faith
Christian
I can understand why you have thought that there was some merit with quoting a footnote from the NIV as I have of course demonstrated without any doubt that the finest lexicons of our day all say that that the primary meaning of glossa is with the physical organ of the tongue; no scholar or commentator of any standing would say otherwise.

And all lexical definitions , in addition to the speach organ, give it's other common meaning as language (as pertaining to nations). In Mark 16:17, Acts 2, Acts 10, Acts 19, 1 Cor 12-14, Rev 5:9, Rev 7:9, Rev 11:9, & Rev 13:7 the word can only mean language. Those verses would make no sense whatsoever if it meant the tongue in your mouth.

But what you have failed to observe (again) is that language can be both articulate (“with the mind” 1Cor 14:14) which relates to human language and (“in the Spirit” 1Cor 14;14) which relates to inarticulate language or as Paul says, in the “tongues of Angels”.

You have mistakenly added a capital S to 1 Cor 14:14 to imply it is the Holy Spirit. It is not. All bible versions have "my spirit prays" signifying it is the human spirit not the Holy Spirit. In 1 Cor 14:14-15 all instances of praying by the "spirit" (as opposed to the mind) are referring to the human spirit, not the Holy Spirit. All Bible versions agree.

Even if it did say "Holy Spirit" that still doesn't make it the language of angels. The only passage mentioning the language of angels is 1 Cor 13:1-3. You still haven't explained how "tongues of angels" can be taken literally without the other parallel statements in 1 Cor 13:1-3 being taken literally. I am still awaiting your full reply to #77.

Then we have the footnote to 1Cor 14:2 (and others);
“14:2 tongue. See NIV text note. The hearers cannot understand what the person who speaks in a tongue is saying. Therefore what he says is a mystery unless it is interpreted. Only God understands it. with his spirit. It is not spoken from the mind (see vv. 14-17)”.
“14:14 mind is unfruitful. When a person speaks in tongues or prays in tongues, the human mind does not produce the language”.
“14:15-17 pray . . . sing . . . praising God . . . say “Amen” . . . thanksgiving. Elements employed in OT (1Ch 16:36; Ne 5:13; 8:6; Ps 104:33; 136:1; 148:1) and NT worship (Ro 11:36; Eph 5:18-20). “Amen,” meaning “It is true” or “So be it,” is the believers confession of agreement with the words spoken (cf. Gal 1:5). Thus it is important that a message in tongues be interpreted.
I don't see any of those footnotes in my NIV or any of the online NIV bibles. In fact googling those quotes came up with nothing. Did you just make it up?

when we pray in the S/spirit that it will always be in an inarticulate language which absolutely no man will be able to understand unless the speaker, or another person is able to articulate in the Spirit what was being said to the Father.
You seem to be very confused about praying in the spirit and praying in the Holy Spirit.

The human spirit is your inner self (see Mat 26:41, Luke 1:80, Luke 8:55, Acts 17:16, Acts 18:25, 1 Cor 7:34, 1 Cor 16:18, 2 Cor 2:13, 2 Cor 7:1, 2 Cor 7:13, Eph 4:23, 1 Thes 5:23, 2 Tim 4:22). Praying in the human spirit is simply prayer that originates from your inner self, as all prayer should be. In other words your heart is in it, rather than say reciting prayers from a book. Praying in the spirit in itself is not unintelligible speach. Now lets look at 1 Cor 14:13-15:

For this reason the one who speaks in a [uninterpreted] tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. For if I pray in a [uninterpreted] tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding

When the Corinthians were praying in tongues it was still from their spirit (their hearts were in it), but as it was untranslated then their minds were unfruitful. So how should they pray? They should pray with their spirit (from their hearts) and with their mind (with understanding). If it is left untranslated nobody can understand it and it is worthless. Which is why Paul commands that all tongues be translated.

We can also pray in the Spirit (Eph 6:18, Jude 20). Praying in the Spirit is praying according to the Spirit’s leading, in the same way we as walk in the Spirit (Gal 5:16-18). It is nothing to do with tongues. Tongues in never mentioned in Ephesians or Jude. In fact Eph 6:18 makes it clear it is not charismatic tongues: "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests". How can you make requests if you don't know what you are saying?

How you can get “foreign languages” from First Corinthians has me absolutely stumped!

1 Cor is either human or angel languages. I think we are agreed on that. It's easy to conclude that 1 Cor is foreign languages, as opposed to the language of angels. There is much evidence but here are the main ones:
1. Acts 2:4-13 is the only clear and extensive description of tongues in the whole Bible and it is clealy foreign languages. The basic rules of humenutics demand that clearer definitive passages are used to interpret more obscure ones.

2. Acts was written 5 years after 1 Corinthians and Luke, being a close associate of Paul, would have known if it was a different phenomenon, yet the terminology is exactly the same in both books.

3. To make out that tongues in 1 Cor is anything different you have to have exceedingly strong evidence to the contrary. No such evidence exists. The only passage that could conceivably indicate otherwise is 1 Cor 13:1-3 where Paul says that even if he had the tongues of angels it would be worthless without love. But as I have conclusively proved in previous posts, Paul was not saying he literally spoke in the tongues of angels. You have not been able to sensibly refute that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Paul isn't connecting glossa with sounds at all in these verses. In 1 Cor 14:7-12 Paul is simply making illustrations to emphasize his complaint against the Corinthians that speech which is not understood is futile. A series of random notes on the pipe or harp means nothing, but played properly people can recognise a familiar tune. And unless the bugle gives a recognizable call no one will know if it is a battle call. The sounds in these examples must be familiar to the hearer in order to be worth anything. Similarly speaking in a foreign language that no one understands is useless. Only God, who knows all languages, will understand. Verse 9 spells it out to them: "Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air." The words spoken at the meeting must be familiar to the hearers in order to be worth anything. The solution is for the foreign language to be translated (v13).
Well, if you take the position that Paul is not addressing glossa, then what he is addressing, maybe the price of fish in China, again, you are trying too hard to prove your point. The entire passage is unequivocally about glossa and nothing else, I would have thought that even the coldest hard-core cessationist would have no trouble understanding this!

One of the interesting aspects of 1Cor 14:6-8 (which I have copied from an earlier post of mine), is that the NIV along with numerous other translations have unwisely chosen to translate the Greek word phone as ‘language’ instead of the literal ‘sound’. I don’t know if they were trying to be helpful or if the translators have simply adopted the traditional English way of using ‘language’ but if you read the following passage in accordance with Paul’s intent this should make things clearer.

If glossa referred to known human languages then Paul would have seen no reason to connect tongues with sounds which would have made absolutely no sense.

1 Cor 14:6-8)

Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of [sounds] languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of [the sound] what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.​

The words spoken at the meeting must be familiar to the hearers in order to be worth anything. The solution is for the foreign language to be translated (v13).
What you have failed to observe is that if tongues were indeed ever given in a known human language, then this is something that Paul would have to address as it would caused absolute chaos within the church. If someone who spoke a language that no one else understood in the meeting were to claim something as ridiculous that Mohammed was a true prophet of God then how could we argue against them?

If tongues could be used to speak to the unsaved who knew another language, then this would amount to as powerful a missionary tool that could ever be devised; the Holy Spirit could have easily evangelised the entire known world before the end of the first century as no government leader (including the Emperor of Rome) would dare deny the Gospel. Ask yourself, why does neither Paul or Luke address this possibility – even though the answer is of course obvious.

PS. As for my question which asked, are you maybe a high school student; I can presume by your silence that you are. This is not meant to demean you in any way, but it does help me (and maybe others) to better understand your apparent lack of knowledge with regard to the various study tools and techniques and why you seem to be as unwilling as you are to concede those points that you should be conceding, or at least engaging with.

Edit: Typo para 4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't see any of those footnotes in my NIV or any of the online NIV bibles. In fact googling those quotes came up with nothing. Did you just make it up?
Here's where talking to a schoolboy can be very trying at times!

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,747.00
Faith
Christian
One of the interesting aspects of 1Cor 14:6-8 (which I have copied from an earlier post of mine), is that the NIV along with numerous other translations have unwisely chosen to translate the Greek word phone as ‘language’ instead of the literal ‘sound’. I don’t know if they were trying to be helpful or if the translators have simply adopted the traditional English way of using ‘language’ but if you read the following passage in accordance with Paul’s intent this should make things clearer.

If glossa referred to known human languages then Paul would have seen no reason to connect tongues with sounds which would have made absolutely no sense.

1 Cor 14:6-8)

The principle meaning of phóné is 'voice', with 'sound' a distant second. In the NASB there are 139 instances of phóné, of which 102 are translated voice, 15 are translated sound.

Lets see if sound fits first:
"There are, perhaps, a great many kinds of sounds in the world, and no kind is without meaning. If then I do not know the meaning of the sound, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me."

Hmm, that doesn't seem very convincing. Lets try voice:
"There are, perhaps, a great many kinds of voices in the world, and no kind is without meaning. If then I do not know the meaning of the voice, I will be to the one who speaks a barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a barbarian to me."

That's a much better fit. The principle meaning of the word is the correct translation.

many voices in the world...none without meaning,....not knowing the meaning of a voice = barbarian. That sounds a lot like language to me. Looks to me like all the modern Bible translators were spot on with 'language'.

So, by your own logic, Paul links glossa with language, not sound.

What you have failed to observe is that if tongues were indeed ever given in a known human language, then this is something that Paul would have to address as it would cause absolute chaos within the church.
Why would people speaking the true gift of tongues (foreign languages) cause chaos? It didn't at Pentecost. People were drawn to it, were amazed, and 3000 were saved. The only people who saw chaos were the few who didn't recognise the languages and thought they were drunk. What would have happened if nobody recognised the languages? Everyone would have thought the disciples were drunk and nobody would have been saved. As Paul rightly says about unintelligible tongues - "will they not say that you are mad?"

If someone who spoke a language that no one else understood in the meeting were to claim something as ridiculous that Mohammed was a true prophet of God then how could we argue against them?
What is more likely, someone miraculously speaking a recognizable foreign language and making up a false translation, or someone saying "laladomagagagoogoo" and making up a false translation?

If tongues could be used to speak to the unsaved who knew another language, then this would amount to as powerful a missionary tool that could ever be devised; the Holy Spirit could have easily evangelised the entire known world before the end of the first century as no government leader (including the Emperor of Rome) would dare deny the Gospel. Ask yourself, why does neither Paul or Luke address this possibility – even though the answer is of course obvious.

You're right the answer is obvious. The principle purpose of tongues was as a sign to unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22), not missionary work, or even evangelism. It was to draw in the unbelieving crowds amazed at the miracle, who would then be ripe for hearing the gospel, just as Peter preached at Pentecost. Like the gifts of miracles and healing, tongues were a sign to authenticate the new gospel ministry.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

• Angel means messenger
    • Usage of angel in NT:

What can I say but that desperation can all too easily push us over the edge into the realm of obsurdity.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
[
The principle meaning of phóné is 'voice', with 'sound' a distant second. In the NASB there are 139 instances of phóné, of which 102 are translated voice, 15 are translated sound.
Okay, here we go again, let’s look at the Lexical evidence and then move on from your presumptions:

Theological Dictionary of the New Testament (TDNT) pp.1287-91

E. The NT.

1. Noise and Sound. In the NT, under OT influence phone often means “noise” or “sound,” e.g., the rolling of wheels in Rev. 9:9, the grinding of millstones in 18:22, the noise of the crowd in 19:1, the rushing of the wind in Jn. 3:8, the melody of instruments in 1 Cor. 14:7, the sound of words in Lk. 1:44, the cry of grief in Mt. 2:18.

2. Human Voice. . .
3. Loud Voice . . .
4. Cry, Word, Confession. . .
5. God’s Voice. . .
6. The Heavenly Voice. . .

A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature (Bauer’s) p.879-71

1. Sound, tone, noise the source of which is added in the generation of musical instruments . . .

2. Voice
a. a. Gener. Any form of speech or other utterance w. The voice can take place . . .
b. voice as it varies from individual to individual or from one mood to another . . .
c. that which the voice gives expression to call, cry, outcry, loud or solemn declaration . . .
d. In accordance with OT and Jewish usage gener. . .
e. Special cases . . . I turned around to see (to whom) the voice that was speaking to me (belonged) . . .​
3. Language . . .

As I am in the process over the next few days where I am rebuilding my primary PC this means that I cannot simply cut and paste from my lexicons but these two will do; all of the lexicons will follow along the same lines as the TDNT and Bauer’s.

So here we have the primary meaning as noise and sound where the secondary meaning is voice etc. Your problem is that you are trying to force-fit your choice of ‘voice’ back into a passage that deals directly with the sounds of musical instruments so your choice of ‘voice’ simply does not fit in.

Unfortunately for your argument, there is little value with saying that the NASB has a 139/102 ratio as the word ‘voice’ can be used for both something that is both articulate and inarticulate. If my primary PC was up and running I could easily provide you with a quick analysis of the NASB’s use of phone but this won’t happen for a few days yet.

You're right the answer is obvious. The principle purpose of tongues was as a sign to unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22), not missionary work, or even evangelism. It was to draw in the unbelieving crowds amazed at the miracle, who would then be ripe for hearing the gospel, just as Peter preached at Pentecost. Like the gifts of miracles and healing, tongues were a sign to authenticate the new gospel ministry.
Unfortunately your wrong again.

The purpose of tongues is so that we can pray in the Spirit where the Holy Spirit speaks through the Believer to the Father, either in thanksgiving, praise or intercession. Where you are confused with your a "sign to unbelievers" is where the less knowledgable cessationist fails to understand that Paul is saying that each tongue that is given within the congregational setting must be accompanied by an interpretation, otherwise the unbeliever and cessationist will only be confused.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
1. Acts 2:4-13 is the only clear and extensive description of tongues in the whole Bible and it is clealy foreign languages. The basic rules of humenutics demand that clearer definitive passages are used to interpret more obscure ones.
I could ask you to describe what you mean by Acts 2:4-13 being “the only clear and extensive description of tongues”, but as Acts 2 is far from clear, at least when compared to Paul’s detailed explanation of tongues in 1Cor 12, 13 & 14, then maybe I should explain what we know about tongues from Acts 2.

What we do know from Acts 2 is that tongues are directed toward the Father and that the Holy Spirit was speaking of the ‘wonders of God’. This compares well with First Corinthians as Paul tells us that tongues are always directed to God, as was the case with Acts 2 where both Acts 2 and Corinthians speak nothing of any fanciful belief that tongues can be used to evangelise an unreached people group who spoke a foreign language.

What we can tell from Acts 2 is that even when someone (or a group) are able to understand what is being said (as with Acts 2 and not Corinthians), we know that as the Holy Spirit only addresses the Father that there is apparently no value with using tongues to reach the unsaved which was evidenced by the utter confusion of the nearby crowd who could not make any sense out of what was happening. If Peter had not stood up and provided an evangelistic message in Aramaic then the day would have been lost where the crowd would have dispersed thinking that they were drunk, which also has a correlation with 1Cor 14:23 where both the unsaved and cessationist will say that “they are mad”.

Unlike Acts 2, Corinthians tells us that tongues is also praying in the Spirit and that only three tongues are permitted where each tongue must be accompanied by an interpretation. Without Pauls detailed description of tongues in Corinthians, Luke’s record in Acts would leave us somewhat confused.

With the other occurrences of tongues in Acts, they appear to be on the same lines of First Corinthians where the tongues were being directed to the Father in Angelic tongues. If these occurrences of tongues were in known human languages then Luke would have mentioned this but of course he did not.

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,747.00
Faith
Christian
As I am in the process over the next few days where I am rebuilding my primary PC this means that I cannot simply cut and paste from my lexicons but these two will do; all of the lexicons will follow along the same lines as the TDNT and Bauer’s.

So here we have the primary meaning as noise and sound where the secondary meaning is voice etc. Your problem is that you are trying to force-fit your choice of ‘voice’ back into a passage that deals directly with the sounds of musical instruments so your choice of ‘voice’ simply does not fit in.

Unfortunately for your argument, there is little value with saying that the NASB has a 139/102 ratio as the word ‘voice’ can be used for both something that is both articulate and inarticulate. If my primary PC was up and running I could easily provide you with a quick analysis of the NASB’s use of phone but this won’t happen for a few days yet.

I'll save you the time. Anyone can see a full analysis of the word phóné in the NASB at http://biblehub.com/greek/5456.htm.

'Voice' is used 102 times, 'sound' is used 15 times. It also lists all the verses that contains them etc, etc.

In the context of 1 Cor 14:10-11, which you claim all bible versions have translated wrong, 'sounds' simply doesn't fit, whereas 'voice' fits very well. And in the context of the verse: voices in the world....none without meaning...foreigners speaking, the meaning is undeniably articulate languages. All the bible versions have translated it correctly.

The purpose of tongues is so that we can pray in the Spirit where the Holy Spirit speaks through the Believer to the Father, either in thanksgiving, praise or intercession. Where you are confused with your a "sign to unbelievers" is where the less knowledgable cessationist fails to understand that Paul is saying that each tongue that is given within the congregational setting must be accompanied by an interpretation, otherwise the unbeliever and cessationist will only be confused.

Your understanding of "praying in the Spirit" is flawed. Please see my detailed explanation in post #90.

I could ask you to describe what you mean by Acts 2:4-13 being “the only clear and extensive description of tongues”, but as Acts 2 is far from clear, at least when compared to Paul’s detailed explanation of tongues in 1Cor 12, 13 & 14, then maybe I should explain what we know about tongues from Acts 2.

What we do know from Acts 2 is that tongues are directed toward the Father and that the Holy Spirit was speaking of the ‘wonders of God’. This compares well with First Corinthians as Paul tells us that tongues are always directed to God, as was the case with Acts 2 where both Acts 2 and Corinthians speak nothing of any fanciful belief that tongues can be used to evangelise an unreached people group who spoke a foreign language.

What we can tell from Acts 2 is that even when someone (or a group) are able to understand what is being said (as with Acts 2 and not Corinthians), we know that as the Holy Spirit only addresses the Father that there is apparently no value with using tongues to reach the unsaved which was evidenced by the utter confusion of the nearby crowd who could not make any sense out of what was happening. If Peter had not stood up and provided an evangelistic message in Aramaic then the day would have been lost where the crowd would have dispersed thinking that they were drunk, which also has a correlation with 1Cor 14:23 where both the unsaved and cessationist will say that “they are mad”.

Unlike Acts 2, Corinthians tells us that tongues is also praying in the Spirit and that only three tongues are permitted where each tongue must be accompanied by an interpretation. Without Pauls detailed description of tongues in Corinthians, Luke’s record in Acts would leave us somewhat confused.

With the other occurrences of tongues in Acts, they appear to be on the same lines of First Corinthians where the tongues were being directed to the Father in Angelic tongues. If these occurrences of tongues were in known human languages then Luke would have mentioned this but of course he did not.

Acts 2 clearly and explicitly describes the gift of tongues as foreign languages. As there is no alternative description then we must presume it is the same throughout scripture. We don't need another 9 verse description at every other occurrence of tongues to prove it is the same.

There is already plenty of supporting evidence to indicate that it also foreign languages in the rest of Acts and 1 Cor (see my previous posts).

If the tongues in Acts 2 and 1 Corinthians are different you need come up with some clear supporting evidence. The "tongues of angels" theory has already been disproved (see my previous posts).

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
What can I say but that desperation can all too easily push us over the edge into the realm of obsurdity.

What presentable evidence is there that any given individual reaps personal benefits from the New Tongues Movement?

Pagans speak gibberish today too. Voodoo practitioners speaks gibberish today too.

What are the personal benefits between speaking in "tongues" contrary to speaking no tongues.

Besides the "spirit" (please note the quotations and the lower case "s") of abandonment and liberation and not exercising the Spirit of sober-mindedness (sóphroneó)?

4993. sóphroneó
Strong's Concordance
sóphroneó: to be of sound mind, i.e. to be temperate
Original Word: σωφρονέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: sóphroneó
Phonetic Spelling: (so-fron-eh'-o)
Short Definition: I am sober-minded, exercise self-control
Definition: I am of sound mind, am sober-minded, exercise self-control.
HELPS Word-studies

Cognate: 4993 sōphronéō – properly, safety-minded; having a sober outlook that reflects true balance.

For the believer, 4993 /sōphronéō ("think shrewdly") reflects what God defines is true moderation. This God-controlled perspective blends the extremities of truth on both sides of a matter. See 4998 (sōphrōn).

[The whole word-family (root, sōphro-) comes from two words: sōos ("safe") and phrēn ("what regulates life," the root of the English term, "diaphram").

Example: An opera singer controls the length (quality) of their tones by their diaphragm, which even controls our ability to breathe and moderates heartbeat. This regulates ("brings safety") to the body, keeping it properly controlled.]

NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from sóphrón
Definition
to be of sound mind, i.e. to be temperate
NASB Translation
have sound judgment (1), right mind (2), sensible (1), sound judgment (1), sound mind (1).

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance

be in right mind, be sober minded

From sophron; to be of sound mind, i.e. Sane, (figuratively) moderate -- be in right mind, be sober (minded), soberly.

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. Let all things be done decently and in order. 1 Cor. 14:33,40

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Pagans speak gibberish today too. Voodoo practitioners speaks gibberish today too.
You left out cessationists who speak a form of gibberish that makes one feel at home within a hospital maternity ward; the sounds that these young infants make sound very similar to the cry's of the cessationist, though the cry's from a materinity ward probably make more sense than do the desperate cry's of the belagured cessationist.

Oddly enough, the cry's from both sets of infants share a common theme, where their cry's are all about "me...me...me".

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟14,087.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You left out cessationists who speak a form of gibberish that makes one feel at home within a hospital maternity ward; the sounds that these young infants make sound very similar to the cry's of the cessationist, though the cry's from a materinity ward probably make more sense than do the desperate cry's of the belagured cessationist.

Oddly enough, the cry's from both sets of infants share a common theme, where their cry's are all about "me...me...me".

That is your answer and defense???

Upvote 0