1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Less Advertisements! Members see fewer ads and have the option to upgrade their account to ad free!

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

certain threads - personality types.

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by hengesthorsa, Jan 11, 2017.

1. hengesthorsa

hengesthorsa Well-Known Member Supporter

Ratings:
    +258
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    It seems that on certain threads -- particularly on certain political threads, which is why I'm putting this here -- people claim they want to discuss something, but in fact, they don't. They say they want to, but show that they are either unable or unwilling to actually discuss anything. They talk in circles and ignore or grossly misunderstand posts that do not perfectly match their preferred opinion. I've seen this many times.

In your opinion, why does this happen?

2. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

Ratings:
    +1,971
    Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Oriental Orthodox
    Because the partisanship involved in American politics right now (I assume based on the thread topics I've seen that most posters are either Americans, or non-Americans commenting on American politics) is so incredibly corrosive to even the idea of civil discourse that one's political opponent can not be just wrong as anyone may be, but becomes instead a symbol of everything is wrong with America, the world, and existence itself, in perpetuity throughout the universe, forever and ever, amen.

(This is also why you see many posts of this type responding to/posting according to "what liberals/conservatives/left-wingers/right-wingers are like", instead of addressing the actual argument. You don't like the other side, so if they're the source of something, be it an argument or anything else, it is automatically poisoned by the fact that it is coming from them, no matter what it is actually saying.)

3. bettercallpaul

bettercallpaul Miss Tick

Ratings:
    +2,848
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Labor
    Faith:
    Catholic
    People don't post on political threads to learn something new or become enlightened. They look for evidence or confirmation of what they already believe.

4. hengesthorsa

Ratings:
    +258
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Okay, but what would someone want that? If someone is secure in their beliefs...they don't need more evidence, right? Should aggressive and confused defense of a claimed belief be taken as meaning that the poster does not actually hold that belief, but would like to?

5. bettercallpaul

bettercallpaul Miss Tick

Ratings:
    +2,848
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    AU-Labor
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Ego. Make myself look superior and the opponents dumb. Human nature unfortunately. Not everyone mind you. There are a few individuals who are interested in the truth. I'd say they are in the minority.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Tull

Tull Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +662
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Division not a creation of the 21st century,it has always existed but now we have so called social media where we can see and argue those differences from across town or across the world,technology has changed our perspective and made us think this or that thing is new when in fact it isn't.

7. hengesthorsa

Ratings:
    +258
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I'm sure @Tull is right, but I didn't quite mean division or disagreement. More a certain very familiar tone / set of behaviors where someone says they want to discuss something in public, but their larger set of behaviors show that they're not interested in doing that.

8. Tull

Tull Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +662
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    When things become more crucial with much more at stake people react accordingly,like the difference in your reaction to having your lawn mower stolen or your wife abducted.....we are headed for very difficult times in my opinion.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Deadworm

Deadworm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +277
    Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Methodist
    What posters are rightly saying here about political posters is also typical of responses to theological and biblical questions on the site. Christians respond, often unconsciously, to confirm their preconceived notions. So when they encounter plausibly reasoned challenges, they look for symptoms of the threat's ungodly motives and essentially dismiss their posts without a modicum of intellectual rigor. Very few posters actually come to this site with a clear sense of knowing what they don't know (= the beginning of true wisdom) and with burning questions that are the fruit of a passionate honest and open inquiry.

But this problem merely reflects the rigidity of human nature and is illustrated by the 7 times in Mark that Jesus cries, "Let him who has hears to hear, let him hear." Jesus realizes that most people are not ready for what is new and radically demanding in His teaching.

I am now a retired United Methodist pastor. When I reflect back on my ministry, one of my major takeaways is how often Christian self-images make them believe that they want to learn fresh insights about theological truth and the Bible when they listen to sermons, when in fact what they unconsciously want is sermons that confirm what they already believe. Very few believers want their faith to be profoundly challenged in ways that might promote painful spiritual maturity and growth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. redleghunter

redleghunter Trust & Obey Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,288
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    You mean all those OPs which start out by poisoning the well?

Like "How could any Christian vote for candidate "X"?

Then the OP goes on to take on a self righteous pose?

Threads like that?

11. hengesthorsa

Ratings:
    +258
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    That's a similar type, for sure, but I wasn't thinkimg of exactly that. Close enough, though.

12. hengesthorsa

Ratings:
    +258
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    The reason I started this thread is so that I could hear other perspectives on the matter. I want to be sure to recognize this kind of thing in myself if it happens, and not just assume it's always others and never me.

I seem to be particularly sensitive to breakdowns in communication ABOUT communication. I can handle disagreements, but I can't handle exchanges like this:

"What's your opinion about cheese?"
    "Well, some cheese is good-tasting."
    "How can you say that ALL cheese tastes bad?"
    "I didn't say that, and don't think that."
    "Okay, you can say what you want, but I just asked a simple question, I don't see why you're so upset..."

If it were just a wind-up, okay, and maybe that's all it ever is, but sometimes I get the feeling that the other party actually sort of kind of believes what they're saying? This sort of thing just makes me feel like someone pulled a cork out of the bottom of the universe. Wanted to understand it better. Thanks for the replies.

13. redleghunter

redleghunter Trust & Obey Supporter

Ratings:
    +10,288
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Well for one I think a good lot of OP questions are:

1. Underdeveloped. Meaning, the sky is the limit on how one could answer. Thus the all over the map responses.

2. Many OPs are usually in the wrong forum.

3. Too many OPs are posted to grind an axe or are blatantly meant to goad or flame.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List