{- Where Amazing Happened.
Mar 10, 2009
✟7,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one has said that Jennifer Knapp is "practicing" homosexuality. :doh:

I'm sorry, but what does that have to do with that quote, first of all? I said there have been (somewhat subtle) attempts to justify (by means of re-definition) homosexuality. And second, did you forget to read the whole interview?

There were rumors that you left music because you were gay.

Knapp: That was a straw [in my decision], but there were many straws on the camel's back at the time. I'm certainly in a same-sex relationship now, but when I suspended my work, that wasn't even really a factor. I had some difficult decisions to make and what that meant for my life and deciding to invest in a same-sex relationship, but it would be completely unfair to say that's why I left music.

I guess it makes sense. But if you remove the social problem that homosexuality brings to the church—and the debate as to whether or not it should be called a "struggle," because there are proponents on both sides—you remove the notion that I am living my life with a great deal of joy. ... So it's difficult for me to say that I've struggled within myself, because I haven't. I've struggled with other people. I've struggled with what that means in my own faith. I have struggled with how that perception of me will affect the way I feel about myself... [After being asked if she's beyond those struggles] "I don't know. I'm the happiest I've ever been."

And there's more, if you read the interview.

lux et lex said:
Yeah God calls lots of things an abomination Leviticus. Are you following all those too?

No, I'm not consciously putting them on a chalkboard and checking them off everyday, if that's along the lines of what you mean. Do I agree with the Lord that those things are sin and do I attempt to leave behind those things (some of which I used to practice) and walk this narrow path, even though I fall all the time like Paul and Peter, and every genuine Christian ever, did? Yes, I do.

But I don't practice them. If there comes temptation and I fall to them, then I repent of that sin, pray that the Lord would make me hate that sin more and move on with Him, distancing myself from that sin. It becomes a hurdle in a race, rather than the race itself. What about you?

Paul has his opinions, but Jesus says nothing on the matter. And he said a lot about many things...you'd think if homosexuality was a big deal, he would have said something about it.

“For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me; for he wrote about Me. But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?” (John 5:46-47.)

What did Jesus do whenever the Pharisees tried to test Him, justifying certain practices and trying to prove their own righteousness? He didn't give them any new command, He simply referred to what they already knew: the Book of the Law (Moses). What is included in that book? Leviticus.

Sin in general "was a big deal" to Jesus, but why spend time in the Word discussing each and every one of them specifically? He also said, "If your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire." -Matthew 18:9. Was He kidding about that, having repeated it multiple times? And He was talking to His own disciples!

Reactions: gracechick
Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm sorry, but what does that have to do with that quote, first of all? I said there have been (somewhat subtle) attempts to justify (by means of re-definition) homosexuality. And second, did you forget to read the whole interview?

And there's more, if you read the interview.

No, I actually hadn't read the interview. Thank you for backing up what you say, I appreciate it, as many people on this forum don't do that. :)

Upvote 0

The Penitent Man

the penitent man shall pass
Nov 11, 2009
Clarkson, Ontario
✟16,654.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So you think she should have kept on lying about who she was and who she loves? …cause lying isn’t a sin

Lying or bearing false witness is indeed a sin, but who among us is not guilty of it? I don't know what I'd do if I were Jennifer Knapp. Sometimes I try to put myself in the shoes of people like that and I find this prevents my Inner Pharisee from rearing his ugly head.

Scripturally, it's a black-and-white issue, this homosexuality business. But real life is a lot messier. I have Asperger's Syndrome and that's not something I decided to have. It's not something I asked for. Lucky for me, the Church doesn't consider having AS or doing AS things to be inherently wrong! Intellectually, I can't accept that homosexuality is a choice. Does not compute! And yet the Word says what the Word says ...

:scratch: :confused:

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Why is there so much of an attempt here to justify homosexuality? The Lord Himself calls it an abomination in Lev.18:22 and Paul says that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of heaven in the verses airo posted.

Homosexuality is not a "practice".

Ms. Knapp clearly does not want to confront Scripture and prefers to justify a sinful lifestyle. And that's what it is when you're consciously, unrepentantly deciding to have a sexual relationship with a same-sex partner, a sinful lifestyle. There's no two ways about it, so we can stop arguing that point.

Not all agree with this simplistic assertion.

Upvote 0

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
thought it was interesting that she justified her practice by saying that the word homosexual in some translations of the Bible was translated from the greek incorrectly.

Not just interesting but valid. But she did not discuss a "practice". That terminology is most unfortunate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Texas Lynn

Dec 17, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
✟14,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
valid in who's eyes, God's or yours?

My personal opinion is that is I believe both to be the correct answer, but I do not do as others and project my personal prejudices onto diety and make grandiose claims as those who seek to exercise power and control over others do.

Upvote 0

Hog Red

Narrow Minded
Jul 29, 2008
Arkansas
✟8,133.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My personal opinion is that is I believe both to be the correct answer, but I do not do as others and project my personal prejudices onto diety and make grandiose claims as those who seek to exercise power and control over others do.

since we are talking personal opinion, mine is that homosexual acts are perverse and detestable. judge me if you wish

Upvote 0

Undeniably Blessed

{- Where Amazing Happened.
Mar 10, 2009
✟7,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
laconicstudent said:
No, I actually hadn't read the interview. Thank you for backing up what you say, I appreciate it, as many people on this forum don't do that.

Hey thanks :) hope I didn't come off too hard there. I actually hadn't read it either when I first heard about this before, and didn't really see the "revealing" parts of the interview until later.

Homosexuality is not a "practice".

prac·tice   [prak-tis] Show IPA noun, verb,-ticed, -tic·ing.
–noun
1. habitual or customary performance; operation.
2. habit; custom.
3. repeated performance or systematic exercise for the purpose of acquiring skill or proficiency.
4. condition arrived at by experience or exercise.
5. the action or process of performing or doing something.

–verb (used with object)
11. to perform or do habitually or usually.
12. to follow or observe habitually or customarily.

1 John 3 says that those who practice sin have neither seen nor known God. We both agree (I hope?) that homosexuality is a sin. When practicing anything, one has a vested interest in that thing, as in a relationship with that thing. Unrepentant sinners have a relationship with their sin. They practice it over and over with no regard to what God is saying. How can anyone with a straight face look at this passage of the interview and deny that Jennifer Knapp is practicing her sin? She admits it!

Knapp: That was a straw [in my decision], but there were many straws on the camel's back at the time. I'm certainly in a same-sex relationship now, but when I suspended my work, that wasn't even really a factor. I had some difficult decisions to make and what that meant for my life and deciding to invest in a same-sex relationship, but it would be completely unfair to say that's why I left music.

Texas Lynn said:
Not all agree with this simplistic assertion.

Why complicate sin? There are complicated reasons why people sin (sometimes), but sin itself is not complicated. It's a conscious choice to disobey God, and you either practice it or you don't. You hold onto it or you let it go for the sake of God and your salvation. Don't think I'm saying repentance is an easy thing, but she's admitting that it's not even a struggle for her. She's quite content in her sin, not even feeling remorse or conviction to repent of it. And she's been content to live in it for 8 years, despite what the Word says and what her church says.

Anyway, I'll stop giving my interpretation of Scripture. How would you describe the issue of homosexuality, Texas Lynn? I'm very interested.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Of course, we are all sinners. Why are we getting all worked up over Jennifer Knapp's sins as if we are paragons of virtue?

I don't think God considers homosexuality any worse then white lies/bodily neglect/drunkenness/hatefulness/adultery/contempt etc. etc.

Upvote 0
U

Unashamed Jesus Freak

I am simply saddened that she has chosen to walk in her existence in this type of lifestyle.

I was saddened by it as well. Although we are all sinners, falling short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23), there is a distinct difference between daily struggling against sin (crucifying our flesh: Romans 13:14; Galatians 5:16-17; Galatians 5: 24-25; ) to deliberately and willfully choosing to live in sin (Romans 7:7-25; Romans 8:5-14; Galatians 6:8; 2 Timothy 2:19), with an unrepentant heart in rebellion against God (Genesis 6:5; Jeremiah 17:9; Matthew 15:8; Matthew 15:19; Mark 7:20-23). We have daily choices to live according to the God's righteousness, and deny sin. As Christians, we can choose to be a living sacrifice to God (Romans 12:1-2) by being obedient to Him. Once we name the Name of Christ, we are to depart from iniquity (2 Timothy 2:19).

Reactions: gracechick
Upvote 0

Hog Red

Narrow Minded
Jul 29, 2008
Arkansas
✟8,133.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course, we are all sinners. Why are we getting all worked up over Jennifer Knapp's sins as if we are paragons of virtue?

I don't think God considers homosexuality any worse then white lies/bodily neglect/drunkenness/hatefulness/adultery/contempt etc. etc.

the biggest problem isn't the sin it's the fact that someone who claims to be a Christian is saying to the world I'm going to keep on sinning because I like it and you have to accept me and cant say anything against me without judging me. to that, Paul says to cast out the immoral brother or sister in this case. I Corinthians 5 if anyone believes in scripture. can she be forgiven and restored....of course, but the choice is hers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0