Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know how many if any Catholics are lurking in the non-Christian religion forum, but for any who might be around, I have a question.

How do you feel about the new forum rules barring Jews from posting in your forum?

Snowbunny

Mexican Princess
Jul 24, 2006
Kiawah Island, Charleston South Carolina
Visit site
✟13,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Along with: Atheists, Pagans, Muslims, Hindus & Gnostics; Jews are not Christians. So, like the other non-Christians, it follows they should not be allowed to post in the Christian fellowship sections.

If I'm not mistaken the point is to keep the fellowship forums about fellowship... rather than turning them into Q&A or worse yet debate forums. The Outreach sections serve those purposes.

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Meaning Righteous Proselyte to Judaism
Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic church doesn't see Jews as simply one non-Christian religion among many. They have a special place for us as G-d's covenant people, and the foundation upon which their own religion is built. It gives us a rather unique relationship. They also have a long history of anti-Semitism in the church, a special brutality singling us out that other religions have not shared, and for which they feel shame and are basically in the process of repenting of. I suspect there are those Catholics for whom the banning of Jews from their forum feels incredibly awkward. But I don't know. Which is why I asked my question.

I totally and completely understand the purpose of the new rule. But they are eventually going to have to make exceptions. Can you imagine the messianic forum without rabbinical Jews posting there? Messianic Judaism seeks to increase its community with Israel. To forbid Rabbinical Jews from posting there is counter to a main goal in MJ.

The rule is good. But exceptions need to be made.

Upvote 0

Snowbunny

Mexican Princess
Jul 24, 2006
Visit site
✟13,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think many of us feel awkward that there is a ban on Non Christian participation in the OBOB forum (though we understand why it exists). But I see no reason why we should feel more awkward about one group over another, unless we have a large number of friends from that group.

There isn't any sort of special *wink wink* arrangement between Roman Catholicism and any other religion, and Christianity is not "built upon" any other religion. Furthermore, the Church as an organization, and Christianity as a religion is not antisemitic - though antisemitism has existed among large numbers of Christians in the past. Jews have experienced no more suffering at the hands of Catholics than any other minority; especially muslims and native americans (who were nearly obliterated).

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There isn't any sort of special *wink wink* arrangement between Roman Catholicism and any other religion, and Christianity is not "built upon" any other religion. Furthermore, the Church as an organization, and Christianity as a religion is not antisemitic - though antisemitism has existed among large numbers of Christians in the past. Jews have experienced no more suffering at the hands of Catholics than any other minority; especially muslims and native americans (who were nearly obliterated).

This is so filled with inaccuracies that I don't even know where to begin...

Snow, I was Catholic for 20 years, and the relationship between the CC and Israel was my specialty. Pope John Paul II, in his worldwide apology for wrongs done by the church, singled out the wrongs done to the Jews for special apology. WHY? Not because Jews were the only ones to suffer at the hands of Christians, but because in all honesty Jews WERE singled out for persecutiion in a way that Moslems, Buddhists, Animists, etc. were not. If you don't see it, you don't see it. But the Catholic church sees it.

As to some of your other errors, I offer the document Nostra Aetate, point number four:
4. As the sacred synod searches into the mystery of the Church, it remembers the bond that spiritually ties the people of the New Covenant to Abraham's stock.

Thus the Church of Christ acknowledges that, according to God's saving design, the beginnings of her faith and her election are found already among the Patriarchs, Moses and the prophets. She professes that all who believe in Christ-Abraham's sons according to faith (6)-are included in the same Patriarch's call, and likewise that the salvation of the Church is mysteriously foreshadowed by the chosen people's exodus from the land of bondage. The Church, therefore, cannot forget that she received the revelation of the Old Testament through the people with whom God in His inexpressible mercy concluded the Ancient Covenant. Nor can she forget that she draws sustenance from the root of that well-cultivated olive tree onto which have been grafted the wild shoots, the Gentiles.(7) Indeed, the Church believes that by His cross Christ, Our Peace, reconciled Jews and Gentiles. making both one in Himself.(8)

The Church keeps ever in mind the words of the Apostle about his kinsmen: "theirs is the sonship and the glory and the covenants and the law and the worship and the promises; theirs are the fathers and from them is the Christ according to the flesh" (Rom. 9:4-5), the Son of the Virgin Mary. She also recalls that the Apostles, the Church's main-stay and pillars, as well as most of the early disciples who proclaimed Christ's Gospel to the world, sprang from the Jewish people.
As Holy Scripture testifies, Jerusalem did not recognize the time of her visitation,(9) nor did the Jews in large number, accept the Gospel; indeed not a few opposed its spreading.(10) Nevertheless, God holds the Jews most dear for the sake of their Fathers; He does not repent of the gifts He makes or of the calls He issues-such is the witness of the Apostle.(11) In company with the Prophets and the same Apostle, the Church awaits that day, known to God alone, on which all peoples will address the Lord in a single voice and "serve him shoulder to shoulder" (Soph. 3:9).(12)

Since the spiritual patrimony common to Christians and Jews is thus so great, this sacred synod wants to foster and recommend that mutual understanding and respect which is the fruit, above all, of biblical and theological studies as well as of fraternal dialogues.

True, the Jewish authorities and those who followed their lead pressed for the death of Christ;(13) still, what happened in His passion cannot be charged against all the Jews, without distinction, then alive, nor against the Jews of today. Although the Church is the new people of God, the Jews should not be presented as rejected or accursed by God, as if this followed from the Holy Scriptures. All should see to it, then, that in catechetical work or in the preaching of the word of God they do not teach anything that does not conform to the truth of the Gospel and the spirit of Christ.

Furthermore, in her rejection of every persecution against any man, the Church, mindful of the patrimony she shares with the Jews and moved not by political reasons but by the Gospel's spiritual love, decries hatred, persecutions, displays of anti-Semitism, directed against Jews at any time and by anyone.

Besides, as the Church has always held and holds now, Christ underwent His passion and death freely, because of the sins of men and out of infinite love, in order that all may reach salvation. It is, therefore, the burden of the Church's preaching to proclaim the cross of Christ as the sign of God's all-embracing love and as the fountain from which every grace flows.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Along with: Atheists, Pagans, Muslims, Hindus & Gnostics; Jews are not Christians. So, like the other non-Christians, it follows they should not be allowed to post in the Christian fellowship sections.

If I'm not mistaken the point is to keep the fellowship forums about fellowship... rather than turning them into Q&A or worse yet debate forums. The Outreach sections serve those purposes.
There is a rather large Judaism forum here and I would say before Christians start trying to preach the Gospel of YHWH's Christ, Jesus here at CF, they first take a gander at this site. Pretty interesting forum. :groupray:

LLOJ [Still a SCRIPTURE only type of guy]

http://www.kosherjudaism.org/forum/

http://www.kosherjudaism.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=2990de821ef9ff0a4e9ae17db2d7b1de

Before You Start "Preaching" the Gospel - FAQ

Upvote 0

Snowbunny

Mexican Princess
Jul 24, 2006
Visit site
✟13,581.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is so filled with inaccuracies that I don't even know where to begin...

Snow, I was Catholic for 20 years, and the relationship between the CC and Israel was my specialty. Pope John Paul II, in his worldwide apology for wrongs done by the church, singled out the wrongs done to the Jews for special apology. WHY? Not because Jews were the only ones to suffer at the hands of Christians, but because in all honesty Jews WERE singled out for persecutiion in a way that Moslems, Buddhists, Animists, etc. were not. If you don't see it, you don't see it. But the Catholic church sees it.

As to some of your other errors, I offer the document Nostra Aetate, point number four:

So much your specialty that you renounced your Baptism, I'm not impressed. Why don't you let the Catholics speak for Catholicism instead of dictating your interpretation of our religion to us?

I fail to understand why you can use the apology for inactivity during the Holocaust as an example of Jewish peoples 'specialness' but the apology for mistreatment of african slaves and native american religious traditions do not, in your mind, signify any kind of special relationship. It's a non sequitur. You really need to accept that those apologies were for specific events, not because some of the people they happened to were better than others. The Holy Father apologized for Galileo, because it was wrong not because he was Galileo - to Protestants, not because they were Protestants but because the actions against them were immoral.

And the idea that Jews experienced injustice on the same level muslims have is ludicrous and historically unfounded. Like Jews, Muslims (when they were even permitted to live amongst Catholics) were the targets of forced conversion, pogroms and other injustices... just like Jews. Furthermore they were the victims of one of the largest (nearly) unprovoked military incursions in history.

What you see is a phantom.

You have no special claim to be in the Catholic section that rises above any other group. I'm not a fan of the rule, but that's because I believe people from any religious background, or none at all, should be free to ask questions and talk to us in the Catholic section. I'm *not* for turning it into the popular girl lunch table and just inviting one more exclusivist minded person to join in. - That's what you're asking for.

You (personally) seem to have this theme running in all of your posts that you are special and better than everybody else so you should be free to advocate genocide and perpetual war against the Palestinians, belittle the religious beliefs of NCR members like sacredsin, make yourself an honorary Catholic so you can join us in excluding others, and fling accusations of antisemitism around.

Reflect on that. Our chats are over and you're blocked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
Ger - I have to agree with snowbunny 100%. Why do you act like you are so superior because you are a Jew?

Why should Jews be the "special exemption" and be able to post in OBOB, yet Atheists, Muslims, Hindu's, etc can not? That is totally unfair at all levels.

And also, Atheists, Witches, and Muslims were likewise persecuted majorly at times, just as much as Jews.

Upvote 0

Ramona

If you can't see my siggy, I've disappeared ;)
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2006
Visit site
✟55,932.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I'm pretty steamed that non-Christians have been restricted from ANY forums.

I'm equally angry at all the animosity I'm seeing tossed around here, even if I'm not really surprised anymore. Oh, and broadbrushing entire groups of people in order to hurt just one person will inevitably hurt the previously uninvolved as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
français;46852083 said:
Ger - I have to agree with snowbunny 100%. Why do you act like you are so superior because you are a Jew?

Why should Jews be the "special exemption" and be able to post in OBOB, yet Atheists, Muslims, Hindu's, etc can not? That is totally unfair at all levels.

And also, Atheists, Witches, and Muslims were likewise persecuted majorly at times, just as much as Jews.

The argument is based upon Catholic doctrine--specifically Nostra Aetate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think I'd take it more personally if I was barred from the Lutheran forum.

/rimshot
I was banned from the OBOB [Catholic] board for awhile, mainly because of my overextensive use of Scriptures I think :D.

I do thank my bro Luther in one way though, for if not for him, I would still be reading the RC Catechism, and in Latin to boot!!!! :)

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/1_update.html

"If I were younger I would want to learn this language [i.e. Hebrew], for without it one can never properly understand the Holy Scripture…. For that reason they have said correctly: 'The Jews drink out of the original spring, The Greeks drink out of the stream flowing out of the stream, The Latins, however, out of the puddle.'"
--Martin Luther (1483-1546)

Upvote 0

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
I didn't realize she was acting superior in simply asking a question.

Hey!

Yes, I was a little rude there.. I need to send ger an apology. It has been a bad day for me I guess.

She probably was not acting superior.. It is just that she stated that there should be special exceptions made for Jews to post in OBOB, which I do not find fair, if they could, but not other groups.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
français;46853240 said:
Hey!

Yes, I was a little rude there.. I need to send ger an apology. It has been a bad day for me I guess.

She probably was not acting superior.. It is just that she stated that there should be special exceptions made for Jews to post in OBOB, which I do not find fair, if they could, but not other groups.
Just out of curiousity. Why would Jews want to post on the OBOB board? :confused:

http://christianforums.com/t6982422-are-protestants-christians.html
are-protestants-christians

Upvote 0

Talmidah

היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
français;46853240 said:
Hey!

I'm sorry you're having a bad day. I don't come to NCR much anymore, but I was glancing through various threads and, to be honest, your recent posts really do not sound like you at all. Are you okay? Feel free to PM me if you want to talk or vent or whatever.

As to Ger's question, I'm way too ignorant of Catholic thought to know if there is some special relationship there. But if Jews were allowed to post in there previously (I have no idea about that either), then it would hurt to one day find out you're not allowed, even if you understand the reasoning. The same thing has happened in the Messianic forum more than once and probably will again. I think that if, for example, Hindus had been allowed to post in a certain forum and then kicked out, it would be hard for the ones who had gotten comfortable there, made friends, felt 'part of it', ya know?

Anyway, I hope your day gets better, and I'm serious about PMing if you want! :hug:

Upvote 0

GeratTzedek

Aug 5, 2007
Los Angeles area
Visit site
✟6,003.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
français;46853105 said:
That document also regards Muslims in high esteem.
Yes. Muslims are the third monotheistic faith. As Christianity is Judaism's child, Islam is Christianity's child. It is appropritate that Muslim were given special treatment in the document. But this is NOT to say that the documents considers its relations with Muslims to be on par with its relations with Jews. It's simply not the case.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.