Casting lots, a form of "Divination", or not?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Casting lots?, trying to "divinate" the will of God?, and therefore a form of appealing to Spiritistic mediums, possibly a form of witchcraft, or not?

There are many times in the Bible, where/when they would "cast lots" when making a decision, oftentimes rendering the outcome to be "from God", but is this a way of trying to divinate God's will? If so, does it work? Or should we not try and divinate the will of God by these means, there were times when it corresponded with God's will (such as in the book of Jonah, as one example) and then times where it may not have (for example, when they cast lots, in deciding the replacement apostle for Judas Iscariot in the beginning of Acts) (It seems to me that God said "No" to the casting of lots that time in that he selected Paul as the replacement apostle)

What do you think? Ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts? Opinions?

God Bless!

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Casting lots?, trying to "divinate" the will of God?, and therefore a form of appealing to Spiritistic mediums, possibly a form of witchcraft, or not?

There are many times in the Bible, where/when they would "cast lots" when making a decision, oftentimes rendering the outcome to be "from God", but is this a way of trying to divinate God's will? If so, does it work? Or should we not try and divinate the will of God by these means, there were times when it corresponded with God's will (such as in the book of Jonah, as one example) and then times where it may not have (for example, when they cast lots, in deciding the replacement apostle for Judas Iscariot in the beginning of Acts) (It seems to me that God said "No" to the casting of lots that time in that he selected Paul as the replacement apostle)

The first mention of casting lots is in Lev16:8.
It was a way of asking God to choose for them "which one."

As for the Eleven Disciples cast their lots for a replacement of Judas, they didn't get it wrong, nor did God say no.

Go back to the book of Acts1:21-26 and re-read those scriptures. It explains that they were looking for a man that had followed Jesus throughout His three year ministry. "Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day He was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection."

As for Paul...He never followed Jesus at any time. He was chosen by Jesus a year or so after the day of Pentecost for another Gospel. These twelve were preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom that Jesus preached, (Mat4;23, 9;35, 24:14, Mar1:14-15) and instructed them to preach. (Mat10:6-7) And this Paul was preaching the Gospel of the Grace of God. (Acts20:24)

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

The first mention of casting lots is in Lev16:8.
It was a way of asking God to choose for them "which one."

As for the Eleven Disciples cast their lots for a replacement of Judas, they didn't get it wrong, nor did God say no.

Go back to the book of Acts1:21-26 and re-read those scriptures. It explains that they were looking for a man that had followed Jesus throughout His three year ministry. "Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day He was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection."

As for Paul...He never followed Jesus at any time. He was chosen by Jesus a year or so after the day of Pentecost for another Gospel. These twelve were preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom that Jesus preached, (Mat4;23, 9;35, 24:14, Mar1:14-15) and instructed them to preach. (Mat10:6-7) And this Paul was preaching the Gospel of the Grace of God. (Acts20:24)

You effectively dodged the question though (You didn't answer my question)

Should casting lots be used today, or not? Is it a form of divination, or not? and if it is...? (& no, the best out of three, or five, if it doesn't go your way, ect.)

It sounds by your response as if you support it, do you?, or not? and why, or why not?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Blessings brother,

:wave:

Intriguing that is. Can offer no advise but more questions on that topic. Can it be a tool for discernment of Spirit when one is allusive to the layman in discernment? Yet, be prayed that "the casting" be through scripture to satisfy scripture thus the answer be from the trinity?

Kinda like, before one casts, the casting itself is prayed over for days if need be to satisfy scripture and should the cast be done with others involved for purity of said cast? :)

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You effectively dodged the question though (You didn't answer my question)

Should casting lots be used today, or not? Is it a form of divination, or not? and if it is...? (& no, the best out of three, or five, if it doesn't go your way, ect.)

It sounds by your response as if you support it, do you?, or not? and why, or why not?

God Bless!

In answer to these questions:

(1) No

(2) No

(3) No

I can go boldly before God in prayer and make my requests known. I have faith in all things and God will give me an answer.

May God give you Knowledge, Understanding, and Wisdom in all of His words.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What if it is a difficult decision such as continuing to help someone out, who you've helped out several times before, and it seems as if they aren't learning a thing, and they continue to use and abuse other people, and you've prayed about it but are seeming to get no answer, other than "you cannot help them out forever." Should you cast lots or leave it up to random chance, when making a decision like this?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What if it is a difficult decision such as continuing to help someone out, who you've helped out several times before, and it seems as if they aren't learning a thing, and they continue to use and abuse other people, and you've prayed about it but are seeming to get no answer, other than "you cannot help them out forever." Should you cast lots or leave it up to random chance, when making a decision like this?

First, I'd like to hear what the definition of "casting lots" is. I've never even seen it described in the bible, so I couldn't even do it if I wanted to.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
First, I'd like to hear what the definition of "casting lots" is. I've never even seen it described in the bible, so I couldn't even do it if I wanted to.

It's in there, multiple times, look in Jonah, where the sailors "cast lots" and the lot falls upon Jonah, and they decide to throw him overboard...

Casting lots, can be anything... Dice, cards, a "coin toss" would be another way of putting it, anything that can denote a "fifty-fifty" "chance" (in the real world) but that people at that time and age, thought could be used to divinate God's will in a difficult decision...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Well there were also the Urim and the Thummin!

(I ask because I don't know) But, does anyone know how the Urim and Thummim were used? What were/are the Urim and Thummim exactly, and how were they used/employed?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums