• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Cant bring myself to do homework-any tips?

J3sus-Is-Alive

Feb 1, 2004
Tha NorthwEst
✟261.00
Faith
Christian
[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] i just started doin mine last week, i just told myself the better i do in school the more pleased i will be and i got a report card and only fialed 2 classes instead of 5 so im workin for a str8 report card...all ABOUT GOALS!

Upvote 0

J3sus-Is-Alive

Feb 1, 2004
Tha NorthwEst
✟261.00
Faith
Christian
just think about it.

Your doin bad at homework and then POOF* all of a sudden your report card comes home ITS BAD! your parents yell and whatnot same old same old....But think how nice it would be for a change to make them think ur a bad student then u coem hoem with the biggest smile because u proved them wrong....my pappy gave me some money and a PS2 so im on a good path lol

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To give some real advice (posted elsewhere by someone else on these forums) you should try to change your environment when you get distracted. Get up and make a snack, or listen to a song etc... anything to give your brain a rest without actually changing subjects (you don't want to watch TV or play ps2 for example). Also, if it gets really bad, move to a different environment. Move from your room to the kitchen or something. Often people work better with background noise, or with perfect quiet - find your perfect study spot, and don't be afraid to go elsewhere if you feel different one day.

All these suggestions take dedication, as in the end you ARE forcing yourself to do work. The biggest advice I can give you is to find a way to get excited about your homework. Spend an hour online for each subject every week and find out how that subject (or math problem etc...) will apply to the world - whether it's physics, or biology, or looking up history pages. There's some REALLY interesting stuff out there, but teachers often overlook it in favor of rote teaching. If you want to REALLY do well in your homework, give yourself enough information that you can apply the work to real life, or to other subjects AS YOU"RE WORKING. Then your mind won't wander as much, and you won't WANT to quit quite as much (though you'll still want to watch TV or play X-Box).

Upvote 0

Mr.Cheese

Legend
Apr 14, 2002
✟21,948.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, never wait for motivation to do homework. Waiting for motivation is like waiting for the bus at a corner where it never stops.
Bite the bullet and start it.
Stay away from the television, the phone, and the computer.
I listen to really hard music when I study, and use headphones too. They isolate me from the rest of the world. This doesn't work for everyone though.
Start the worst stuff first. For me, that would have been anything related to math.
Yes, you can argue that what you are learning is completely worthless for the life you are going to live. But disciplining yourself to do your work and to do it as best as you can is soemthing that will serve you VERY well later on in life.
The work force is exploding with people who don't do their job and what they do is worse than if they had not bothered to show up.
So if you can do this for yourself you will be learning one of the most important things in your life, a work ethic, even though the stuff you're doing seems absolutely pointless.
Plus its nice to see your parents have a heart attack when your report card is actually good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PetraFan007

I try as hard as I can.
Nov 9, 2003
Central MA
Visit site
✟21,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've so far passed the stage of not being able to do homework that I hardly ever do homework at all. I can't concentrate. Somehow I'm still passing college, and I'm on my 4th semester.

Upvote 0

* kittie *

Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
✟24,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
J3sus-Is-Alive said:
just think about it.

Your doin bad at homework and then POOF* all of a sudden your report card comes home ITS BAD! your parents yell and whatnot same old same old....But think how nice it would be for a change to make them think ur a bad student then u coem hoem with the biggest smile because u proved them wrong....my pappy gave me some money and a PS2 so im on a good path lol
i think that's good advice.

but for me, thinking about proving people wrong does not help my mind concentrate. This semester, I wanted to do everything. I have big plans...I just can't do it sometimes. I'm not sure why though. like i wanted to think of an awesome idea for my english paper. eh...couldn't.

Last semester, I wanted to organize all my psychology notes into a neat...book. i wanted to make it all nice and easy to read, with illustrations and everything. but...i never got to it. my mind is fogged up, and i need to find something other than "proving people wrong". Sometimes i can study...but those are rare happenings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

* kittie *

Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
✟24,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mr.Cheese said:
I listen to really hard music when I study, and use headphones too. They isolate me from the rest of the world.
maybe that might work. I know I have to have music on at least. But usually, i sit at my computer...which leads to my mind straying off. hmmm...headphones and away from the computer might work. i'll try that.

Upvote 0