kayanne

Jan 25, 2004
✟1,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Crazy Liz said:
BTW, I assume there is a typo in your thread title. If not, better bone up on your spelling before you take the SATs! ;)

Aww Crazy Liz--I was a good girl and didn't point out that spelling error! You just couldn't resist! :D
(actually I'm practically obsessive about good spelling--my husband says I can spot a spelling error a mile away).

I don't usually mention errors, but for some reason, correcting the frequent misspelling of "tongue" as "tounge" has become my recent mission! Man that one bugs me! Don't know why. :|

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Don't look at the price of the college, apply to the ones you want, and apply for financial aid, using thier forms and the FAFSA (www.fafsa.ed.gov). Often private colleges give more money in financial aid. Also, there are a number of free scholarship search sites on the internet. The Free Appplication for Federal Student Aid is free (redundant). You may not qualify for government aid, however, most colleges require that you apply, because they base the awards on your results of the FAFSA.

Upvote 0

d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yea, i'm already in collage. I hate the rekurring fafsa. I've been doing some reserch about final costs of graduation way into my future. I plan on going straight threw grad school and win its all said and done with I don't dezire to have a collage payment that eqwals a house payment.

I figure a cheep, yet decent undgrad school will hold me over till I go for my master and ph.d which is ware i'd rather spend my monie.

BTW speeling freaks... thoze miztakes r four yu! (blessings)

Upvote 0

Bro. Gabriel

Sinner
Mar 15, 2004
Louisville, KY
✟430.00
Faith
Baptist
Boyce College is probably the most Theologically sound and academically hardcore school in the Baptist realm of thought. (I'm biased, of course, since I go there)

Tuition is less than $2,000 a semester, if you're a member of an SBC church ($4,000 if not). Housing is very cheap as well.

www.boycecollege.com
www.sbts.edu

Upvote 0

d0c markus

Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Bro. Gabriel said:
Boyce College is probably the most Theologically sound and academically hardcore school in the Baptist realm of thought. (I'm biased, of course, since I go there)

Tuition is less than $2,000 a semester, if you're a member of an SBC church ($4,000 if not). Housing is very cheap as well.

www.boycecollege.com
www.sbts.edu
very cool, its now on my "very seriously consider" list.

Upvote 0

Jengi

Jan 31, 2004
✟8,129.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Bob Jones University in Greenville, SC is a very conservative Baptist college. I have known a few people who went there and really liked it. I don't know anything about it other than that.

Also, Charleston Southern University near Charleston, SC has a very good accademic reputation. It used to be called Baptist College of Charleston. The name changed about 15 years ago. I don't know where its Baptist ties stand now.

Upvote 0

JOYfulbeliever

Oct 10, 2002
✟3,922.00
Faith
Baptist
Bob Jones is an awesome school - I spent a week there every year of high school for competitions, and went back as a "prospective student" and lived in the dorms with the students, went to classes, did all the normal stuff with them. It was awesome.

However, it has a lot of rules. If you aren't cool with rules, BJU and PCC are NOT for you. They are very strict - but VERY Biblically sound, and great schools.

Also, another one that I thought of was Crown College, Tennessee Temple University, Maranatha Baptist Bible College...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kayanne

Jan 25, 2004
✟1,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JOYfulbeliever said:
However, it has a lot of rules. If you aren't cool with rules, BJU and PCC are NOT for you. They are very strict - but VERY Biblically sound, and great schools.

Be aware that BJU is totally opposed to any contemporary Christian music. Several years back our church hired a music minister who had graduated from BJ, and his ultra-conservative views on music ended up literally splitting the church. (and no, it wasn't just his own ideas about music--it's what is taught as truth at BJ). Also I think there are pretty strict rules about dating--I think you can only go on a "date" in one particular student lounge or something like that. At least they lifted the ban on inter-racial dating that was in place a few years ago. I'm told that boys and girls cannot walk together on the sidewalks, or hold the same hymnal in chapel, but I don't know if those things are true.
According to a student I know who attended PCC, there would be room checks (like, searching through your drawers to make sure you didn't have anything that was banned--not just obvious stuff like drugs/alcohol, but a bunch of stuff that they don't allow). They would also check that students were asleep by "lights out" time. One girl was studying for a final by flashlight under her covers after "lights out", and was severely disciplined (not sure if she was kicked out). Also, PCC is KJV only, if that matters to you.
I know it must sound like I'm really slamming these schools--I just want people to know things I've been told, because this stuff sure isn't included in the beautiful color brochures that these colleges mail out!

Upvote 0

jones_of_pbf

Mine Own.
Oct 20, 2003
Sellersburg, Indiana
✟536.00
Faith
Baptist
Politics
US-Republican
Bro. Gabriel said:

www.boycecollege.com
www.sbts.edu
As am I. :wave:
I spent only a semester there, but it's a great school, and a beautifull campus.
Dr. Deklavon(sp?) is my interim pastor!:clap: :clap:

Upvote 0

d0c markus

Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
kayanne said:
Be aware that BJU is totally opposed to any contemporary Christian music. Several years back our church hired a music minister who had graduated from BJ, and his ultra-conservative views on music ended up literally splitting the church. (and no, it wasn't just his own ideas about music--it's what is taught as truth at BJ). Also I think there are pretty strict rules about dating--I think you can only go on a "date" in one particular student lounge or something like that. At least they lifted the ban on inter-racial dating that was in place a few years ago. I'm told that boys and girls cannot walk together on the sidewalks, or hold the same hymnal in chapel, but I don't know if those things are true.
According to a student I know who attended PCC, there would be room checks (like, searching through your drawers to make sure you didn't have anything that was banned--not just obvious stuff like drugs/alcohol, but a bunch of stuff that they don't allow). They would also check that students were asleep by "lights out" time. One girl was studying for a final by flashlight under her covers after "lights out", and was severely disciplined (not sure if she was kicked out). Also, PCC is KJV only, if that matters to you.
I know it must sound like I'm really slamming these schools--I just want people to know things I've been told, because this stuff sure isn't included in the beautiful color brochures that these colleges mail out!
No, thier reputation precedes them, mainly BJ, i consider a degree from there about as wieghty as one i can make from my own printer. KJV only bothers me cuz i'm an ESV only man. "its a superior text"....:doh:

PCC wouldnt like me either, i have a tendency to stay up late and read, bad habit of learning in my free time...plus i'd probably put a door stopper on the inside of my room to prevent them from opening it if thats the case. When i worked in a jail we used to toss cells in the middle of the night, sounds similiar.... oh what is christianity coming to! a world where we cant worship God with a fast tempo and a guitar and a Bible prison camp. I wonder if its hot where zwingli is...:scratch: purgatory... hmm

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
http://www.grand-canyon.edu/

A few of my daughter's friends attend Grand Canyon University (founded by SBC ) and live on campus. They really like it and the school has a good rep.

Of course, it is alittle warm May - September, but the winters are just great!
They have classes online too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LB57

Jun 10, 2004
✟119.00
Faith
Calvinist
I believe Moody Bible Institute in Chicago is outstanding. It is a theologically conservative, nondenominational, evangelical school. It has a good reputation, and an excellent tradition and history of training men and women for ministry. And it is very affordable.

For those interested in distance education it is also one of the best and most affordable in this area as well.

Upvote 0

d0c markus

Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
LB57 said:
I believe Moody Bible Institute in Chicago is outstanding. It is a theologically conservative, nondenominational, evangelical school. It has a good reputation, and an excellent tradition and history of training men and women for ministry. And it is very affordable.

For those interested in distance education it is also one of the best and most affordable in this area as well.
100% agreed. This is one of the schools i have applied to for the spring semester 05. Its a tough one to get into.

Upvote 0

LB57

Jun 10, 2004
✟119.00
Faith
Calvinist
Bro. Gabriel,

Unless it has recently changed, Moody does not charge undergraduate tuition for its on campus students. Students only pay for room, board, books and misc fees. Affordability is a subjective matter. However, compared to other christian colleges charging well over 20K per year, I believe Moody is a very good value.

Also, I understand the dress code has been relaxed quite a bit during the past few years. It is not nearly as strict as it was years ago and is certainly no where near as strict as PCC or BJU.

Moody has a diverse student body denominationally and Baptist and independent Bible church students are very well represented.

If you have time, please check out their doctrinal statement at their website. I would sincerely like to know why you feel the school is no longer one of the best schools today as far as being doctrinally sound. In what areas do you believe they fall short? What is the source of your information?

BTW, in the interest of full disclosure, both my wife and I attended there (years ago).

Best regards,

LB57

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
d0c markus said:
Im looking to apply to a good bible college with a nice emphasis on Bible and theology, can someone reccomend to me a decent school, hopefully with a reasonable cost of admission?
Hi there!

:wave:

What "kind" of baptist are you?.... because if the college doesn't fit your theology perfectly, then you won't be comfortable there and you won't grow to your best potential.

I think you should be challenged in your learning, not challenged in your theology.

If you know what you believe, then go with a Bible college in that denomination. It won't benefit you to go to Marquette for theology when you are a Baptist.

If God calls you to it, He'll see you through it.

Where God guides, God provides.

Send me a private concerning your denomination and I will tell you the most "affording" means of going to a college in your denomination.

If you are headed for full-time church work, you cannot graduate with a large debt and think that you can commit to full-time service.

Even if you have already taken some classes, which I believe you have, you can save money by taking some courses correspondence from "similar" schools and transferring them in until your last 30 hours which usually are all required to be "in house".

You can save money on classes with CLEP tests, advance placement, and college scholarships... Scholarships are not always based upon "scholarship"'

~serapha~

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.