Can we change the gender of a sacrament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

She

Apr 23, 2006
✟8,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Colabomb said:
If you don't trust the Scriptures anywhere else, how do you know that these words were really the words of Christ?

It is possible to trust the Scriptures without crediting them as God's word. It is also possible to believe that they were men's words, inspired by God. It is therefore possible to believe that the words which Jesus spoke were spoken by Jesus. Faith is required to believe that Jesus spoke with authority and that he was the Son of God.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
By using human beings as the medium of transmission. God inspired the scriptures, what God got was the scriptures PLUS whatever the human doing the writing THOUGHT God was saying.

Or are you suggesting that God turned those who inscribed the scriptures into automata to do so?

Kiwimac

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
kiwimac said:
By using human beings as the medium of transmission. God inspired the scriptures, what God got was the scriptures PLUS whatever the human doing the writing THOUGHT God was saying.

Or are you suggesting that God turned those who inscribed the scriptures into automata to do so?

Kiwimac
Not necessarily Autonoma, but I believe he did not let human Sin get in the way of His Inspiration.

The Style and form of the Authors exist, but all doctrine is of God.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
kiwimac said:

Kiwimac
Also, how do discern the difference between what is of God, and what is of Paul?

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wiffey said:
By comparing what Paul said to the words of Christ...and putting emhasis on those areas of agreement.
I ask again, how do you know that Christ said the things contained in Scripture?

Remember, the Gospels were not written by Christ, but by the same men that you call sexist racist bigots.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Colabomb said:
I ask again, how do you know that Christ said the things contained in Scripture?

Remember, the Gospels were not written by Christ, but by the same men that you call sexist racist bigots.

Cola, I did a search on the words sexist, racist, and bigots and the only place they showed up was in *your* post! Have you taken a debate class before? I am not up on all the terms, but I am sure Paladin or someone can tell us the name for taking someone's words, changing them to your own terms, and then debating those terms rather than the original statements. Fallacy of something I imagine.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
higgs2 said:
Cola, I did a search on the words sexist, racist, and bigots and the only place they showed up was in *your* post! Have you taken a debate class before? I am not up on all the terms, but I am sure Paladin or someone can tell us the name for taking someone's words, changing them to your own terms, and then debating those terms rather than the original statements. Fallacy of something I imagine.

He correctly recognises that such terms are being implied in the arguments put forward.

You've just used a "tu quoque" form of argument, incidentaly.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
higgs2 said:

If I said "Brand X has a lower dose of the effective Ingredient" Would I not essentially be claiming that the drug is a lower dose?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Colabomb said:
If I said "Brand X has a lower dose of the effective Ingredient" Would I not essentially be claiming that the drug is a lower dose?
If you said that "Brand X is not as good" or "too weak" or "ineffective" then it would be a good analogy.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
higgs2 said:
If you said that "Brand X is not as good" or "too weak" or "ineffective" then it would be a good analogy.
I put two and two together.

I read posters say "Human Bias is present in the Scriptures", then I hear "Sexism was prevalent in the 1st Century"

What conclusion would you come to?

Add on to that that my doctrine and those of us who follow it are accused of being sexist outright.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Colabomb said:
I put two and two together.

I read posters say "Human Bias is present in the Scriptures", then I hear "Sexism was prevalent in the 1st Century"

What conclusion would you come to?

Add on to that that my doctrine and those of us who follow it are accused of being sexist outright.

Is this the quote you mean?

I do think the two are different...male only ordination is a product of the cultural issues that shaped the early church. Only men were priests because (at the time) gender roles were rigidly delineated and women were mostly caring for their 12 or so kids.

I don't see sexism mentioned. It seems that your post displays hyperbole and jumping to conclusions about what people really mean with their words.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
higgs2 said:
Is this the quote you mean?

I don't see sexism mentioned. It seems that your post displays hyperbole and jumping to conclusions about what people really mean with their words.
No not that one

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This one

Wiffey said:
Was sexism acceptable in the 1st century? Sure.

This one's a gem

Kiwimac said:
Not at all,

You see here is the problem.

You are quite willing to call those of us who accept Female priests and Bishops, opposed to the scriptures and to the traditions of the church.

Yet in order to bolster your own position you are willing to ignore Jesus and his RESOUNDING silence in this matter.

I call that sexism, prejudice and bigotry.

Kiwimac

http://www.christianforums.com/t2989487-can-women-be-priests-and-bishops.html&page=34

And this one.

Ebia said:
If the church discriminates on the basis of gender without an understandable reason why women cannot be priests then it condones discrimination in general. If God really does command that, then God is also condoning arbitrary discrimination. I don't believe that is consistant with what else he has said.
http://www.christianforums.com/t2989487-can-women-be-priests-and-bishops.html&page=36

And finally this one.

Kiwimac said:
The sexism and bigotry in this thread is truly appaling.

http://www.christianforums.com/t2989487-can-women-be-priests-and-bishops.html&page=33

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
higgs2 said:
Your post accused Wiffey of saying things based on statements by other people, and by extrapolating from one small post by her in a different thread.
I made no connection other than the fact that they linked our doctrine and sexism.

I freely admit they are different threads and different contexts.

I still pointed out that I am not "hyperbolizing" and that the "S" word is indeed used. I did not imagine it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.