May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Awareness is an attribute of God because God is the maker and shaper of all (and so must be aware to do so) and because God is the foundation of being (and He cannot be that in ignorance).

Ok...so anything that destroys "awareness" is a moral wrong? Like sleep? I didn't realize your criteria for deciding god's attributes was so...flimsy. God displays awareness... so awareness is one of his attributes. God also displays wrath... so I guess wrath would be one of his attributes as well.

Don't be pedantic. I'm describing how we live our lives; favouring knowledge and awareness over ignorance and confusion, and you are playing Clintonesque word-games (which is why you wont get moree detail from me on this matter - you cannot even grasp the basics)

All debauched behaviour undermines society because it unleashes appetite, which is an anti-social...

Being hungry unleashes appetite. Heterosexual behavior unleashes appetite. There's all kinds of appetites that all sorts of behaviors affect. Are they all immoral? Or just the ones you choose? Your claim here is unfounded, I've never seen evidence that homosexual behavior undermines society. Unless you can explain how it does, perhaps you should no longer consider it debauchery.

Hunger does not unleash the appetites.

To suggest otherwise is to suggest that the desire for sex makes you lose control.

Debauchery is about lewdness. It's about carnality. Its about making the body the master rather than the servant.

Seriously, I think you are making argument for the sake of it now.

Matter, extension, is nothing of itself.

I'd say that most physicists and myself disagree. Matter is definitely something.... not nothing.

Utter misrepresentation of what I said. Do you read with the aim of understanding or with the aim of presuming the worst and finding it...as the latter would certainly explain your persistence in doing so...

Words are cheap - you don't kill on the basis of claims.

Murder is a moral bad because it destroys trust and thus cohesion

It's a hypothetical. Imagine you have absolutely certainty... And killing them was the only way to stop them. Is it still wrong?
Your two sentences don't address the fact that abortion is legal and therefore not murder. If you're not going to claim otherwise, I can only assume you think god views abortion as moral. After all, I don't see who's trust is being destroyed by it.

We don't live in that universe. Imagine you had a magic wand that could revive the dead with no trauma, would you be more careless around others.

Magic wands do not make for sound arguments.

Potentially, in some cases, yes.
Wonderful...we've left behind this tired notion of objective morality and accepted that subjective morality is the only system that describes reality. There's nothing objective about a moral standard that is sometimes bad, sometimes good, depending on the circumstances.

No, we've recognised that morality includes judgement calls and is not a matter of absolutes in all things. Absolute and Objective are not the same thing. If morality were subjective something would be good simply because we say it is; the fact that we have to discover it does not mean it is subjective.

So, as I said, no more detailed stuff for you as you cannot even grasp the basics - but rather appear more interested in twisting words than understanding them.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Don't be pedantic. I'm describing how we live our lives; favouring knowledge and awareness over ignorance and confusion, and you are playing Clintonesque word-games (which is why you wont get moree detail from me on this matter - you cannot even grasp the basics)

Hunger does not unleash the appetites.

To suggest otherwise is to suggest that the desire for sex makes you lose control.

Debauchery is about lewdness. It's about carnality. Its about making the body the master rather than the servant.

Seriously, I think you are making argument for the sake of it now.

Utter misrepresentation of what I said. Do you read with the aim of understanding or with the aim of presuming the worst and finding it...as the latter would certainly explain your persistence in doing so...

We don't live in that universe. Imagine you had a magic wand that could revive the dead with no trauma, would you be more careless around others.

Magic wands do not make for sound arguments.

No, we've recognised that morality includes judgement calls and is not a matter of absolutes in all things. Absolute and Objective are not the same thing. If morality were subjective something would be good simply because we say it is; the fact that we have to discover it does not mean it is subjective.

So, as I said, no more detailed stuff for you as you cannot even grasp the basics - but rather appear more interested in twisting words than understanding them.

:wave:

Don't be pedantic. I'm describing how we live our lives; favouring knowledge and awareness

Who's being pedantic? You described awareness as a state of being aware. You didn't mention awareness of anything. How am I supposed to understand you if you only say half of what you mean?

You seem to be trying to suggest something without actually saying it...again, you'll need to explain what you mean if you expect people to understand. All I've asked for is how homosexual behavior undermines society. All I get back is this nonsense...

"Debauchery is about lewdness. It's about carnality. Its about making the body the master rather than the servant"

Really, what am I supposed to think of this? Are you suggesting that homosexuals can't control their bodies? Try forming a sentence that reads like this....

Homosexuality undermines society by turning people gay until there are so many gay people that eventually no one is procreating and society falls apart as each generation gets smaller.

Now obviously, that's untrue and a rather stupid argument...but at least it answers my question. This flim-flam..."Debauchery is about lewdness. It's about carnality. Its about making the body the master rather than the servant"...doesn't answer a thing. You're trying to turn this on me by claiming I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing...but the reality is that I don't think you have a real answer for why "homosexuality undermines society". It's just something you believe.

Utter misrepresentation of what I said

Then why not try writing what you mean this time? "Matter is nothing of itself."...again, how did you expect anyone to read that? I have a hard time believing that you couldn't write in a manner that's easily understood by everyone. I think you're being deliberately obtuse because you're finding your own understanding of morality increasingly indefensible.

We don't live in that universe.

We do actually...there's nothing I stated there that couldn't happen in real life. It's a hypothetical, but not based upon magic wands or fairy tales...it could happen and for all we know has happened. Abortion is legal, it's not considered murder.... I'll add these two questions to the list of those that you've chosen to dodge instead of answering.

No, we've recognised that morality includes judgement calls and is not a matter of absolutes in all things

In all fairness, I'm a moral relativist. I only use the term subjective because no matter how many times I explain the difference to Steve...he continues to use the terms subjective and objective.

Regardless though, who makes these judgement calls if not people? Or does you god have aspecial method for letting you know that it's ok to go against his nature in certain instances?

Detail is about the only thing missing from your explanations. If I started a thread that asked readers to tell me what "Matter, extension, is nothing of itself." means...I seriously doubt I'd get any consistent replies. You've deliberately avoided clarity on all your answers with the intent of claiming that I just don't understand them. We both know why you've chosen to do this. I'll give you about another day to give real replies to my questions... when you don't, I'll just go ahead and explain to anyone reading why your understanding of morality doesn't coincide with reality.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I thought you could also get to god through Muhammad? That's what this Muslim fellow was telling me the other day.

Is he wrong? How do you know he's wrong? What makes your claim stronger than his?
Mohammad was only a man. He was a salesman in his early life. He was an infidel and followed the pagan religions of that time. He didn't mention anything about his prophesy in his early years and Islam wasn't even invented then. When he did become a prophet he ruled by the sword and he had many enemies. He was a dictator who many other religious people wanted dead. He abused women and married a minor. Almost all the rituals and rules of Islam mentioned in the Quran are copied from Judaism. He has never performed a miracle which prophets are suppose to do.

Mohammad believed in many of the prophets of the old testament and even Jesus. He claims that the God of the Hebrews prophesied his coming which is false. He came along 600 years after Jesus and said he was putting the records right because all the others got it wrong. So he has taken a mixture of the Jewish God and pagan Gods and made his own religion. So Mohammad was just a man who was power hungry and this is shown in his actions and life.

Jesus was prophesied and has never done any of these things. He performed many miracles and brought peace and love. He was without sin and was crucified an innocent man only claiming to be the Son of God. So there is a great difference between the two prophets. Which one seems more credible.
The Life of Muhammad
Ten Reasons Why Muhammad Was a False Prophet?

Upvote 0
S

SteveB28

Mohammad was only a man. He was a salesman in his early life. He was an infidel and followed the pagan religions of that time. He didn't mention anything about his prophesy in his early years and Islam wasn't even invented then. When he did become a prophet he ruled by the sword and he had many enemies. He was a dictator who many other religious people wanted dead. He abused women and married a minor. Almost all the rituals and rules of Islam mentioned in the Quran are copied from Judaism. He has never performed a miracle which prophets are suppose to do.

Mohammad believed in many of the prophets of the old testament and even Jesus. He claims that the God of the Hebrews prophesied his coming which is false. He came along 600 years after Jesus and said he was putting the records right because all the others got it wrong. So he has taken a mixture of the Jewish God and pagan Gods and made his own religion. So Mohammad was just a man who was power hungry and this is shown in his actions and life.

Jesus was prophesied and has never done any of these things. He performed many miracles and brought peace and love. He was without sin and was crucified an innocent man only claiming to be the Son of God. So there is a great difference between the two prophets. Which one seems more credible.
The Life of Muhammad

Many of the characteristics you describe there could also be attributed to Moses. And no miracle? Riding to heaven on horseback doesn't impress you!?

That aside, you remind us that all religions make outlandish claims about their gods and prophets. And none of them provide the evidence to support those claims.

Thank you for reminding us.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ana the Ist
I'm sorry Steve, but you're creating a double standard here that allows for confirmation bias. If you're going to claim that people are justified to follow god's will because it benefits them, then they are justified to follow something else when it doesn't benefit them. It's your logic, you don't get to ignore the half of it that you don't like.
But your trying to create an unreal standard and put words and thoughts in my head and mouth. Your own logic doesn't make sense. If something doesn't benefit a person then why do it. Benefits are just one part of something. Some may see a benefit in robbing someone of their money so they can enjoy themselves on a spending spree. So the benefits have to be alined with morals. The morals come from God and this is seen in the teachings of Jesus.

So there is an obedience when we may not want to follow God. It is said its easier to follow the road to hell as its wide and accommodating. The pleasures of the flesh can be appealing and give instant gratification. So there is sacrifice when following God. But following God is not just done in blind faith. There are benefits and rewards and the bible is full of examples where those who were separated from God and then found peace and joy when they found God. As a believer you begin to see the sense in what God is doing and the wisdom behind His ways. This is not always apparent to non believers.
I'm glad you agree. That's why your point about mankind being fallible is irrelevant...even those who try to follow god's will are just as fallible. There's no reason to suggest one is better than the other.
I agree that mankind is fallible. The bible states we are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God. But when we acknowledge that we are sinners and unworthy and then accept Jesus into our lives we are born again into Gods kingdom. We are transformed so that it is no longer I that lives but Christ that lives in me. Our fleshly selves are put to death with Jesus on the cross and we are risen with Christ in the spirit of God. So sin no longer has power over us and we have a way to defeat it and death in Jesus. We become more like Jesus each day. So there is a difference and that is seen by the fruits we should bear. We should be like Jesus.
If you want to claim it's a moral truth...then prove it is. Saying that "it just makes sense" doesn't make anything a fact...it makes it an opinion.
Of course its a moral truth. You acknowledged this yourself though you were quite reluctant when you said "Should we honor our parents? Maybe...if they deserve it".

That maybe would become yes we should honor our parents if they are normal parents who behave decently as parents should. I think everyone would agree that honoring parents and people in authority is a decent and civilized way to live. Otherwise we have anarchy and a breakdown in society. So the moral of honoring our parents stands just like do not kill stands. But just because there maybe exceptions that the moral may allow doesn't take that moral away. It simply is realistic and considers that there are times when another immoral act will mean that it changes the position of those involved. But it doesn't change the basic moral that is there in the first place.

In fact the position of challenging honor for your parents because there are no absolute morals like this is dangerous. This is opening the door up for disrespect and dishonor. To honor should be the rule and not the exception. The exception shouldn't over rule the moral. But by using the examples of occasions where parents are treating their kids bad as not having to honor your parents is a bad example to give people. This is what is happening with our young and why we are having a problem with respect. To many do gooders are saying that the young dont have to listen to their parents and that they have all the rights to go against their parents. This is stemming from the lack of clear and strong morals like honoring your parents and tipping the pendulum to the other extreme in favor of defiance.

Steve, we went over this a few posts ago. Maybe you forgot since its been a few days...but science doesn't agree with you on this. The most religious nations on the planet are the worst off...while the most secular nations are doing the best. The U.S. is one of the few exceptions to that rule, when we examine how well off the religious are vs the non-religious because of largely how the non-religious are ostracized, discriminated against, and generally oppressed. If you already have forgotten, I can go back and give you a post and page number where we went over this.
No that isn't science being used to determine whether Christianity is good or bad for people. Thats statistical data which can be biased and doesn't take all things into consideration. Like I said some of those so called religious nations also are the most poor nations for other reasons besides religion. The US is primarily a Christian nation and is regarded as one of the free nations doing OK. So the data has to be looked at like for like.

So there are many things you have to factor in and stats can lie as simple as that. I could find many statistical evidence support for showing the exact opposite of what you have linked. In fact what you linked was not scientific but was an opinion of a psychologist. But as I said before I linked a scientific evidence based on just looking into the mechanisms of religion and how it works and it shows that religion has many benefits.

This support is analyzed data and scientific done on the subject and not pulled from various sites that happen to have an opinion.
Our comparative analysis of religion and marriage in the United States reveals remarkable similarities in the benefits that are associated with these two social institutions, and also in the pathways through which they operate. Being married and being involved in religious activities are generally associated with positive effects in several areas, including physical and mental health, economic outcomes, and the process of raising children.
The Benefits from Marriage and Religion in the United States: A Comparative Analysis

There are many many Christians who disagree with you on this. Since god doesn't list all the exceptions to his rules in the bible, how does one know who is following god's will and who isn't?
What how could they disagree. Are you saying there are many Christians who would allow their family to be killed by a mad man because they believe you shouldn't kill no matter what. That would then make them killers as they didn't protect their family and are culpably guilty as they knew where their actions would lead. The exceptions are rare and obvious and the one I gave is clear. The bible does make this clear as well. Remember Jesus said there is one law that covers all love your neighbor as you love yourself. So everything has to be done out of love. We are also given the meaning of love in the bible. There are many instructions as to what Jesus wanted us to do. You just have to turn to the instruction book and use it. The trouble is some want to bake the cake without following the instructions and then wonder why it didn't turn out.
Subjective morality doesn't say everyone's views are "valid"...it just states that everyone has differing views. Anyone can tell anyone their views are wrong and give that person their reasons why.
Well thats not how it pans out in the real world. When another nation has a law that we disagree with many say that is their right to have that law because thats the way they see or do things. Even if that law is wrong in our view. Subjective morality doesnt just state that everyone has different views. It also says that those people are allowed to have those differing views and the extension of that is it makes it easier for people to then make a case to promote those views. If you allow 3 conflicting views into the equation you can at least have a chance to sort things out and get rid of the wrong ones. But if you allow 100 views of all types into the equation the chances of the wrong ones getting mixed in and having some sway and influence are great.
I don't know why you think subjective morality is a free-for-all where everyone is ok with everyone else's views. I'm certain I've never told you this, I doubt anyone else who believes in subjective morality ever has. The only ones saying this are the christians who claim morality comes from god...they aren't exactly a good source for understanding subjective morality. They are deliberately misrepresenting it and you're drinking the kool-aid.
its how it operates in the real world that counts. You can have an ideal way you think it should be but what you dont realize is that just having a certain way of doing something can also lead to other consequences that are not apparent at first. The ideal is that everyone has the right to a view which is fair enough. But what happens in reality is there is no clarification about where the line is between that view and then being able to have the right to uphold it as well. Sometimes just allowing society to have the many views opens the door to it also practicing the many views because they have invited the views in in the first place. The natural progression is if someone is allowed to keep stating they can have a view then the more they begin to think they can also practice it or at least promote it. Its the thin edge of the wedge.
I have gone through this before. First for a Christian its with the bible and Christs teachings. So thats a good comparison. It gives clear standards to live by. Our reason and logic are important as they will tell us if something is within what is good and what God wants. If someone feels that God wants them to jump off a cliff to prove their faith then that is illogical and unreasonable. Most of the time things can be assessed against what God has said through Jesus in the bible.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

The Life of Muhammad

Yes, but you see the problem is if I ask a Muslim, they'd respond with a post written much like this one, except in favour of the Islamic view. They'd talk about how Muhammad is the greatest and final prophet, and the Christian view about Jesus is incorrect.

So how do I know which one of you, or if any of you are correct?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ana the Ist
I'm just going to dismiss this because we all know you can't read minds. Is there any way to assess moral truths that don't involve mind reading? Personally I am 100% fine with abortion and I do think it's killing.
You obviously dont use your ability to assess things very well. People have the ability to deduct, calculate, assess, use logic, history, stats, data such as surveys asking what people think, reading people through things like body language and other non verbal clues, psychology, common sense ect to work out things. So its not mind reading. You only call it mind reading because you are not using these things or taking them into consideration. So when I say that those who think abortion is ok is becuase they believe the fetus is not a life well that is based on logic and stats and things like psychology. If they believed it was a life then they either couldn't do it as it equates to murder or they would be suffering a lot because of doing it. So it just makes sense and is the logical conclusion. Psychologists use this type of thinking all the time to work out how people think. There is nothing wrong with finding out what makes people tick, I do it all the time in my work.
I don't think it's bad. I also know that for some women (those whom I've spoken to about it) the guilt they felt over an abortion was directly the result of being shamed by christians who think it's wrong.
It strange how you can immediately say its not bad and then divert any blame to Christians. This is part of the problem why we are continually going from one disaster to another. People are in denial. Those stats are bad when you begin to link in the associated problems that go with it. Its bad on a number of counts. Its bad whether you believe in abortion or not. Its just bad. The fact is that even women who lose a baby through a miscarriage have grief, guilt as though they have lost a child. Those are the facts in real life and not the opinions of people. What people say and how they react are two different things.
I don't think it's true, I can think of one historical context by which I'm OK with it.
Trust subjective opinion to come up with a good reason to torture babies for fun. I cant think of any and God help us if we did. But lets say we did. What right have you got to tell that person that what they believe is wrong. Afterall its their right to have that view.
Lets suppose I agreed that it's always wrong...why does that make it objective? You've said yourself that agreement has nothing to do with it. At most, it would just be a moral opinion that we agree on. Can you explain why it's factually wrong?
Yes human agreement has nothing to do with objective morals. It has to come from outside our own views and be independent of us. If torturing babies for pleasure is always wrong then who states it as always wrong. Something or someone has to judge that it is always wrong. I believe that there are basic morals that are the same. They are always wrong and just because subjective views may allow many different opinion to come into the equation doesn't mean that those morals are not objective and always true. Subjective morality doesn't say anything about the morals themselves. They only say something about the person who has the view of the moral. So subjectivity doesn't prove anything about morals.
This always ends up happening when you start confusing morals and laws. I didn't say the majority is right...I said that it's majority opinions that become laws. Go back and re-read what I wrote.
Whats the difference. If they allow a law about abusing your body with drugs doesn't that mean you have to also have a moral view about abusing your body. The laws are made from the morals we have. So lets be more specific then. What about the Iraqi war. The coalition of the willing which represented all the so called lawful and decent nations especially the US and even the United nations said that what they were doing was just and right when they invaded Iraqi. There was a consensus of opinion that it was the right thing to do. But as we all know it wasn't in the end and made matter worse. There are many examples like this where even organizations like the united nations and NATO take actions based on the so called right thing to do which end up being wrong and making matters worse. Even when the Governments implement their policies for social controls they claim its all done for the good of people. We constantly see how they get it wrong and it has bad consequences for people.
Why is life precious? That's your opinion. Why does god not want you to kill?
This to me is a good example of how subjective views and secular thinking is destroying things. It allows people to challenge everything and nothing has any clear and solid ground to exist anymore. It allows even deluded and crazy ideas to have their say and if people are good enough at arguing for those ideas to be introduced then they can also push them onto others. We are seeing that now with things like the legalization of pot, the dismantling of anything that is to do with God from all our schools and public life. Yet at the same time have other atheistic views promoted. The promotion of inappropriate content and violence into our lounge rooms on the internet as well as idol and satanic worship in the media. There is no limits to what can happen.
Lol this is some zany logic if I've ever read it. Lets break this down and maybe you'll see why it doesn't make sense...

"because there are no objective moral principles...". Gotcha, no objective moral principles exist..."...you ought not evaluate my actions by any such principles." Do you mean, "you ought not evaluate my actions by any objective moral principles"? I think that's what you mean...so here's the problem, when you say "ought" you're speaking about something that could happen. Since there aren't any moral objective principles (which you established in the first part of the sentence) I literally cannot judge you by objective principles if they don't exist. Whether I ought to or not becomes irrelevant.
Ok maybe I havnt explained myself properly. Never said I was the best at grammar. So let me try again.

If someone who doesn't believe in objective morals then states that what someone else is doing is wrong then they are claiming that what they believe to be right is more truthful. That in itself is being objective. The argument for subjective morality normally goes something like this.
The trouble is when it comes to real life situations we act like we believe in objective morality. We can say that everyone's views are all valid to each person but when something happens that affects us we suddenly take a more objective view. What you did was wrong and you have no right to have done that. I am right on this and you are wrong. But according to subjective morality what the other person did was OK because that is what they believed to be right.

So many who dont believe in objective morals practice objectivity by their actions everyday.

We don't do that though. I judge everybody according to my standards... Just like you judge everybody according to yours.
Yes but our standards are formed by the society we live in. They are not truly ours even though we may think they are. Besides if we all are judging others by all these different standards which one is right. Or do we have many standards to be judged by. I often hear people say dont judge others or you have no right to judge others. What we end up believing is our moral standard as far as what we say can be different to how we act when put in a situation where we are affected. The way we often act is how we really feel about morals. The way people act is normally pretty consistent. That consistency is something that is built into us and is something that is written into our makeup.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ana the Ist But your trying to create an unreal standard and put words and thoughts in my head and mouth. Your own logic doesn't make sense. If something doesn't benefit a person then why do it. Benefits are just one part of something. Some may see a benefit in robbing someone of their money so they can enjoy themselves on a spending spree. So the benefits have to be alined with morals. The morals come from God and this is seen in the teachings of Jesus.

So there is an obedience when we may not want to follow God. It is said its easier to follow the road to hell as its wide and accommodating. The pleasures of the flesh can be appealing and give instant gratification. So there is sacrifice when following God. But following God is not just done in blind faith. There are benefits and rewards and the bible is full of examples where those who were separated from God and then found peace and joy when they found God. As a believer you begin to see the sense in what God is doing and the wisdom behind His ways. This is not always apparent to non believers.
I agree that mankind is fallible. The bible states we are all sinners and fall short of the glory of God. But when we acknowledge that we are sinners and unworthy and then accept Jesus into our lives we are born again into Gods kingdom. We are transformed so that it is no longer I that lives but Christ that lives in me. Our fleshly selves are put to death with Jesus on the cross and we are risen with Christ in the spirit of God. So sin no longer has power over us and we have a way to defeat it and death in Jesus. We become more like Jesus each day. So there is a difference and that is seen by the fruits we should bear. We should be like Jesus.
Of course its a moral truth. You acknowledged this yourself though you were quite reluctant when you said "Should we honor our parents? Maybe...if they deserve it".

That maybe would become yes we should honor our parents if they are normal parents who behave decently as parents should. I think everyone would agree that honoring parents and people in authority is a decent and civilized way to live. Otherwise we have anarchy and a breakdown in society. So the moral of honoring our parents stands just like do not kill stands. But just because there maybe exceptions that the moral may allow doesn't take that moral away. It simply is realistic and considers that there are times when another immoral act will mean that it changes the position of those involved. But it doesn't change the basic moral that is there in the first place.

In fact the position of challenging honor for your parents because there are no absolute morals like this is dangerous. This is opening the door up for disrespect and dishonor. To honor should be the rule and not the exception. The exception shouldn't over rule the moral. But by using the examples of occasions where parents are treating their kids bad as not having to honor your parents is a bad example to give people. This is what is happening with our young and why we are having a problem with respect. To many do gooders are saying that the young dont have to listen to their parents and that they have all the rights to go against their parents. This is stemming from the lack of clear and strong morals like honoring your parents and tipping the pendulum to the other extreme in favor of defiance.

No that isn't science being used to determine whether Christianity is good or bad for people. Thats statistical data which can be biased and doesn't take all things into consideration. Like I said some of those so called religious nations also are the most poor nations for other reasons besides religion. The US is primarily a Christian nation and is regarded as one of the free nations doing OK. So the data has to be looked at like for like.

So there are many things you have to factor in and stats can lie as simple as that. I could find many statistical evidence support for showing the exact opposite of what you have linked. In fact what you linked was not scientific but was an opinion of a psychologist. But as I said before I linked a scientific evidence based on just looking into the mechanisms of religion and how it works and it shows that religion has many benefits.

This support is analyzed data and scientific done on the subject and not pulled from various sites that happen to have an opinion.
Our comparative analysis of religion and marriage in the United States reveals remarkable similarities in the benefits that are associated with these two social institutions, and also in the pathways through which they operate. Being married and being involved in religious activities are generally associated with positive effects in several areas, including physical and mental health, economic outcomes, and the process of raising children.
The Benefits from Marriage and Religion in the United States: A Comparative Analysis

What how could they disagree. Are you saying there are many Christians who would allow their family to be killed by a mad man because they believe you shouldn't kill no matter what. That would then make them killers as they didn't protect their family and are culpably guilty as they knew where their actions would lead. The exceptions are rare and obvious and the one I gave is clear. The bible does make this clear as well. Remember Jesus said there is one law that covers all love your neighbor as you love yourself. So everything has to be done out of love. We are also given the meaning of love in the bible. There are many instructions as to what Jesus wanted us to do. You just have to turn to the instruction book and use it. The trouble is some want to bake the cake without following the instructions and then wonder why it didn't turn out.
Well thats not how it pans out in the real world. When another nation has a law that we disagree with many say that is their right to have that law because thats the way they see or do things. Even if that law is wrong in our view. Subjective morality doesnt just state that everyone has different views. It also says that those people are allowed to have those differing views and the extension of that is it makes it easier for people to then make a case to promote those views. If you allow 3 conflicting views into the equation you can at least have a chance to sort things out and get rid of the wrong ones. But if you allow 100 views of all types into the equation the chances of the wrong ones getting mixed in and having some sway and influence are great.
its how it operates in the real world that counts. You can have an ideal way you think it should be but what you dont realize is that just having a certain way of doing something can also lead to other consequences that are not apparent at first. The ideal is that everyone has the right to a view which is fair enough. But what happens in reality is there is no clarification about where the line is between that view and then being able to have the right to uphold it as well. Sometimes just allowing society to have the many views opens the door to it also practicing the many views because they have invited the views in in the first place. The natural progression is if someone is allowed to keep stating they can have a view then the more they begin to think they can also practice it or at least promote it. Its the thin edge of the wedge.
I have gone through this before. First for a Christian its with the bible and Christs teachings. So thats a good comparison. It gives clear standards to live by. Our reason and logic are important as they will tell us if something is within what is good and what God wants. If someone feels that God wants them to jump off a cliff to prove their faith then that is illogical and unreasonable. Most of the time things can be assessed against what God has said through Jesus in the bible.

Your own logic doesn't make sense. If something doesn't benefit a person then why do it.

What part of my logic doesn't make sense? People do things that don't benefit them all the time. Generally, it's because they are listening to someone else's opinion of what is morally right and wrong. A good example of this is divorce...

I could go to the married couples section of this forum right now and link thread after thread where some woman is going on and on about how miserable her marriage is. Her husband is neglectful, abusive, lazy, etc etc. She's tried everything including marriage counseling with her pastor, nothing works. She's at her wit's end and she's asking people to pray for her (which hasn't worked either). She won't get a divorce because everyone around her has told her over and over that god thinks divorce is immoral.

You claim that people follow god's morality because of reasoning, because they see the benefits. Well in a lot of cases, following god's morality has no benefits... it's only making their life miserable. Aren't they then justified in no longer following god's morality?

Lol how is "maybe" an agreement to moral truths? If your parents are deserving of honor, then yes, you should honor them. If they aren't, then no, you shouldn't honor them. You said yourself there are "exceptions" to these rules... well who decides when their situation is one of the exceptions? Obviously the children of the parents decide.

So here you have a situation where people decide for themselves whether or not It's a good idea to honor their parents based on whether or not they feel their parents are deserving of honor. That's not objective morality, It's entirely subjective.

So there are many things you have to factor in and stats can lie as simple as that.

Surveys were done asking the people of many many nations to rate how happy they are. All the top nations were secular. Independent studies were done to determine who had the best healthcare, educational system, and employment rates...all the same nations that were ranked the happiest also ranked higher than the U.S. in all these categories. What are you suggesting? That somehow these nations managed to fool the institutes doing these surveys? That all these different groups are biased against the U.S.? Open your eyes man...the most secular nations are doing the best.

It's nice of you to provide a link, but I'm not going to read a 162 page pdf. It says marriage is better for people than staying single... fine, that doesn't have anything to no with religion though. Atheists benefit from marriage just as much as the religious do. It also says that religion benefits people...in the U.S. Suspiciously though, religion doesn't benefit people nearly as much in other nations. Why is that? It was suggested that the reason is because of all the bias against atheists and the non-religious in the U.S. That means that the "benefits of religion" in the U.S. only exist because the religious don't face the same discrimination and bias the non-religious do.

The exceptions are rare and obvious and the one I gave is clear.

They aren't all rare or obvious. Go back to my divorce example at the beginning of this post. When is it ok to divorce? Who decides that? Love thy neighbor doesn't provide any insight into when god allows divorce. Every marriage is different...so there aren't going to be any clear examples of when it's ok and when it's not.

Well thats not how it pans out in the real world. When another nation has a law that we disagree with many say that is their right to have that law because thats the way they see or do things. Even if that law is wrong in our view.

Often we use economic pressure to get nations to change laws we disagree with. That's exactly how it works in the real world. People will have different views whether you think they should or not. People will argue that their views are correct...and sometimes people will change their minds if they hear a well reasoned argument. It's kind of sad/funny that you think people shouldn't be allowed to have different views...how could you possibly stop them if you wanted to? Even if you made it illegal to voice different views, people would still have them and find ways to express them. Even a religion like christianity that tries to get everyone to conform to the same views has people who disagree and form their own denominations. It's how reality works Steve.

But what happens in reality is there is no clarification about where the line is between that view and then being able to have the right to uphold it as well.

The line is actually really clear...it's the law. I think abortion is perfectly acceptable. You think it's an evil thing to do. So who has the right to uphold their view? I do...the law agrees with me. You can try to stop people from having an abortion, but there's only so much you can do before being thrown in jail.

First for a Christian its with the bible and Christs teachings

Plenty of christians disagree on what the bible says...even on matters of morality. It seems to be a rather poor method for deciding what is right and wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ana the Ist

You obviously dont use your ability to assess things very well. People have the ability to deduct, calculate, assess, use logic, history, stats, data such as surveys asking what people think, reading people through things like body language and other non verbal clues, psychology, common sense ect to work out things. So its not mind reading. You only call it mind reading because you are not using these things or taking them into consideration. So when I say that those who think abortion is ok is becuase they believe the fetus is not a life well that is based on logic and stats and things like psychology. If they believed it was a life then they either couldn't do it as it equates to murder or they would be suffering a lot because of doing it. So it just makes sense and is the logical conclusion. Psychologists use this type of thinking all the time to work out how people think. There is nothing wrong with finding out what makes people tick, I do it all the time in my work.
It strange how you can immediately say its not bad and then divert any blame to Christians. This is part of the problem why we are continually going from one disaster to another. People are in denial. Those stats are bad when you begin to link in the associated problems that go with it. Its bad on a number of counts. Its bad whether you believe in abortion or not. Its just bad. The fact is that even women who lose a baby through a miscarriage have grief, guilt as though they have lost a child. Those are the facts in real life and not the opinions of people. What people say and how they react are two different things.
Trust subjective opinion to come up with a good reason to torture babies for fun. I cant think of any and God help us if we did. But lets say we did. What right have you got to tell that person that what they believe is wrong. Afterall its their right to have that view.

Yes human agreement has nothing to do with objective morals. It has to come from outside our own views and be independent of us. If torturing babies for pleasure is always wrong then who states it as always wrong. Something or someone has to judge that it is always wrong. I believe that there are basic morals that are the same. They are always wrong and just because subjective views may allow many different opinion to come into the equation doesn't mean that those morals are not objective and always true. Subjective morality doesn't say anything about the morals themselves. They only say something about the person who has the view of the moral. So subjectivity doesn't prove anything about morals.

Whats the difference. If they allow a law about abusing your body with drugs doesn't that mean you have to also have a moral view about abusing your body. The laws are made from the morals we have. So lets be more specific then. What about the Iraqi war. The coalition of the willing which represented all the so called lawful and decent nations especially the US and even the United nations said that what they were doing was just and right when they invaded Iraqi. There was a consensus of opinion that it was the right thing to do. But as we all know it wasn't in the end and made matter worse. There are many examples like this where even organizations like the united nations and NATO take actions based on the so called right thing to do which end up being wrong and making matters worse. Even when the Governments implement their policies for social controls they claim its all done for the good of people. We constantly see how they get it wrong and it has bad consequences for people.
This to me is a good example of how subjective views and secular thinking is destroying things. It allows people to challenge everything and nothing has any clear and solid ground to exist anymore. It allows even deluded and crazy ideas to have their say and if people are good enough at arguing for those ideas to be introduced then they can also push them onto others. We are seeing that now with things like the legalization of pot, the dismantling of anything that is to do with God from all our schools and public life. Yet at the same time have other atheistic views promoted. The promotion of inappropriate content and violence into our lounge rooms on the internet as well as idol and satanic worship in the media. There is no limits to what can happen.
Ok maybe I havnt explained myself properly. Never said I was the best at grammar. So let me try again.

If someone who doesn't believe in objective morals then states that what someone else is doing is wrong then they are claiming that what they believe to be right is more truthful. That in itself is being objective. The argument for subjective morality normally goes something like this.
The trouble is when it comes to real life situations we act like we believe in objective morality. We can say that everyone's views are all valid to each person but when something happens that affects us we suddenly take a more objective view. What you did was wrong and you have no right to have done that. I am right on this and you are wrong. But according to subjective morality what the other person did was OK because that is what they believed to be right.

So many who dont believe in objective morals practice objectivity by their actions everyday.

Yes but our standards are formed by the society we live in. They are not truly ours even though we may think they are. Besides if we all are judging others by all these different standards which one is right. Or do we have many standards to be judged by. I often hear people say dont judge others or you have no right to judge others. What we end up believing is our moral standard as far as what we say can be different to how we act when put in a situation where we are affected. The way we often act is how we really feel about morals. The way people act is normally pretty consistent. That consistency is something that is built into us and is something that is written into our makeup.

So when I say that those who think abortion is ok is becuase they believe the fetus is not a life well that is based on logic and stats and things like psychology.

Even if you were using these things to guess what people are thinking... it's still a guess. It's not something you can know. I'd love to see the logic and stats and psychology that backs up your claim though... if there is any. Until then your mind reading abilities are dismissed.

What right have you got to tell that person that what they believe is wrong. Afterall its their right to have that view.

The same right that allows them to have their opinions and voice them allows me to have mine and voice them....whether we agree or not.

Something or someone has to judge that it is always wrong

What do you mean "always wrong"? You just said in your last post that these moral truths have "exceptions" that we get to decide for ourselves...that's no different from just deciding for ourselves what is right and wrong.

If they allow a law about abusing your body with drugs doesn't that mean you have to also have a moral view about abusing your body.

Not necessarily. I don't think you should abuse your body with anything that can cause permanent damage, but I also don't think I should be able to tell others what they can and cannot do with their body as long as it doesn't harm society (for the most part).

This to me is a good example of how subjective views and secular thinking is destroying things

In other words, you're not going to be able to prove those things...they are just your opinions. Otherwise, you would've proven them instead of just attacking subjective morality.

If someone who doesn't believe in objective morals then states that what someone else is doing is wrong then they are claiming that what they believe to be right is more truthful.

Not even close. I don't know how many times I have to explain this to you, but I'll try again...
There aren't any moral truths... only moral opinions. If someone says something is right, and you say it's wrong...those are opinions. One isn't more "truthful" than the other. Go back to how you were unable to prove that "life is precious" or that we should "honor our parents". Why were you unable to prove those things factually? Because they are opinions... not truths.

But according to subjective morality what the other person did was OK because that is what they believed to be right.

Nope. You have the right to disagree...as I've already stated. Subjective morality doesn't mean you have to just agree with what everyone else thinks. Again, I've been over this point with you multiple times. Do you actually read my posts? Why do you think subjective morality acknowledges moral facts or requires people to agree with everyone's moral opinions? There's no one who advocates subjective morality who says these things...I sure haven't...so why do you hold onto there mistaken ideas?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ana the IstYes but our standards are formed by the society we live in. They are not truly ours even though we may think they are. Besides if we all are judging others by all these different standards which one is right. Or do we have many standards to be judged by. I often hear people say dont judge others or you have no right to judge others. What we end up believing is our moral standard as far as what we say can be different to how we act when put in a situation where we are affected. The way we often act is how we really feel about morals. The way people act is normally pretty consistent. That consistency is something that is built into us and is something that is written into our makeup.

Society plays a part in creating our moral views...but it's only part of the pie. Our views are unique to us...we may agree on some things, but no one agrees on everything. People do tend to conform to societal "norms" but those norms vary widely from society to society. Within societies, they can vary greatly or very little. It's not written in us, it's learned. If we place you in another society... you'll begin to conform to their norms, even if they differ from the ones you knew.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but you see the problem is if I ask a Muslim, they'd respond with a post written much like this one, except in favour of the Islamic view. They'd talk about how Muhammad is the greatest and final prophet, and the Christian view about Jesus is incorrect.

So how do I know which one of you, or if any of you are correct?
No I disagree because I am using Islams own history. There is no denying Mohammad married a 9 year old girl. There is no denying he was just a man as they admit that. They can't say anything about Jesus because there is nothing to find. Thats the difference. We can investigate these things and we can check to see if what people say is valid. In fact Mohammad acknowledges Jesus but the bible says nothing about Mohammad, Allah or the Koran or Islam. The Koran acknowledges the bibles old testament prophets like Moses, Abraham and Noah. So they are supporting the God of the Christians. Mohammad does say Jesus was just a prophet and not the Son of God. But this is easily proven wrong as the bible shows many times that Jesus was the Son of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
No I disagree because I am using Islams own history. There is no denying Mohammad married a 9 year old girl.

And they'll pass it off as that's how things were done in that time, similarly to how Christians pass off biblically condoned slavery.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqbdkiIGP4

There is no denying he was just a man as they admit that. They can't say anything about Jesus because there is nothing to find. Thats the difference.

Are you admitting there's no evidence for Jesus? I'm not sure what you're trying to write here.

We can investigate these things and we can check to see if what people say is valid. In fact Mohammad acknowledges Jesus but the bible says nothing about Mohammad, Allah or the Koran or Islam. The Koran acknowledges the bibles old testament prophets like Moses, Abraham and Noah. So they are supporting the God of the Christians. Mohammad does say Jesus was just a prophet and not the Son of God. But this is easily proven wrong as the bible shows many times that Jesus was the Son of God.

The Bible was compiled long before the Koran was written, so of course it doesn't appear in the bible.

Likewise, Christianity was fairly widespread in the region by the time Islam arose, so it's entirely expected that Muhammad would include some Jewish and Christian teachings within his own writing.

It's very similar to how Joseph Smith included some elements of Judaism, Christianity and Islam within Mormonism, he viewed himself as a modern prophet along the lines of Muhammad.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And they'll pass it off as that's how things were done in that time, similarly to how Christians pass off biblically condoned slavery.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqbdkiIGP4
Yes there were contexts for why people did things back in ancient times. But never the less if you compare Mohammad with Jesus there is a vast difference. Jesus is the fulfillment of the old testament so what is said about slavery and all those other things is clarified by the new testament and Jesus. Just like Mohammad claims to be the last great prophet and clarifies what God or in Islams case Allah is saying.

Sp when we compare Jesus to Mohummad there is a destict difference. Jesus didnt even marry to begin with so he doesn't even put himself in any position to sin or be accused of any infidelity. Jesus was without sin and as Mohummad was a man he is susceptible to sin. Jesus was God and Mohammad was a man there in itself is a big difference. Jesus was the very God that Mohammad was alluding to. But the best way to see where each comes from is to look at the teachings and words of the prophets themselves.
From the Qur’an and the words of Mohammad.
Qur’an:9:5 - “Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war.”
The text of the Koran is undeniable. How can you be Muslim and still support our Constitution?
I cannot comment to much on Islam as I havnt studied it enough to know. But from what I do understand there are some obvious differences. The main one is Jesus was God and Mohammad is a man. Mohammad seems to be using the Hebrew beliefs and changing them to make his own religion. There was no Islam before Mohummad and he came only 1400 years ago well after Jesus. Jesus came to save sinners but it seems Islam is based on convert of die.

Are you admitting there's no evidence for Jesus? I'm not sure what you're trying to write here.
No I am saying there is nothing anyone can say against Jesus as He was without sin. There is plenty whether true or untrue that is said about Mohammad and thats because he was a man who had weaknesses. It even talks about those weaknesses and how others though he was wrong.

In Mecca, Muhammad receives this command about his sin.
40:55 Then have patience (O Muhammad). Lo! the promise of Allah is true. And ask forgiveness of thy sin [dh-n-b] and hymn the praise of thy Lord at fall of night and in the early hours. (Pickthall)

It is clear from the sacred New Testament that Jesus is without sin, offense, crime, or any act leading to an evil result. The New Testament is uncompromising on this doctrine. There is no ambiguity. Seven passages spell it out for us clearly and straightforwardly.
Were Jesus and Muhammad sinless?

The Bible was compiled long before the Koran was written, so of course it doesn't appear in the bible.
Well Muslims claim that Mohammad is prophesied in the bible. But what they refer to has nothing to do with Mohammad. Jesus was prophesied many times thousands of years before he came. If Mohummad referred to the bible and the great prophets in it you would think if he says he is the greatest of them all that he would be mentioned even in the bible.

Likewise, Christianity was fairly widespread in the region by the time Islam arose, so it's entirely expected that Muhammad would include some Jewish and Christian teachings within his own writing.
Other religions dont do this. It seems that he has taken the Christian religion and turned it into something else. The thing is the end result is what we see today. Whether what the Qur’an says is wrong or people have got it wrong we see what happens today with groups like ISIS and the countries that have Sharia law. Jesus makes Christian belief clear and even though there are people who take matters into their own hands we have a clear teaching form Jesus that shows where people are wrong. There is no ambiguity regardless of what people claim to be the case. Maybe Islam needs a Jesus like savior.

It's very similar to how Joseph Smith included some elements of Judaism, Christianity and Islam within Mormonism, he viewed himself as a modern prophet along the lines of Muhammad.
Yes Joseph Smith is probably similar to Mohammad. Both are men and they are subject to sin and mistakes. Even though Smith claimed to represent Christian beliefs he injected his own interpretations into things which are clearly seen and can be rejected. Many have done the same like Charlie Mason and Jim Jones ect. Jesus said there would be many false prophets. So we can assess things and check to see if the claims made are true or come from man made ideas.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
God doesn't command evil acts, humans do.

Samuel
15:2 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.
(15:2-3) "Thus saith the LORD of hosts ... slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass."
God orders Saul to kill all of the Amalekites: men, women, infants, sucklings, ox, sheep, camels, and asses. Why? Because God remembers what Amalek did hundreds of years ago.
To kill or not to kill
Is God merciful?
What the Bible says about genocide, family values, and God
God's 65th Killing
15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Genocide sounds immoral to me.

Isn't there an element of obedience with morality.

There was a trial in Nuremburg where officers claimed they were "just following orders". They were found guilty of very immoral acts.

Following Jesus isn't just about obedience. Its about making a wise choice. Choose death or choose life.

What do you use to make a wise choice?

Because God Himself says that He is without sin and no sin comes from God. He is the giver of the law and He is the only worthy judge. If you look at the teachings of Jesus there are no bad things in there. It is all morally good and about doing the right thing by God and others. Jesus said the whole law can be summed up in two commandments.

Once again, we have circular reasoning where God is moral because God says he is moral.

But as I said before its not just about doing the right thing. Its also about the battle of good and evil. We are all sinners and we have an evil nature as well. So even though we may know what is good we can have a tendency to do bad. I have explained this before with how people can corrupt and compromise things through selfish motives and power, greed and money. We know of the things we should be doing but we dont do them anyway. But Jesus can transform a person and defeat the evil side of us. Sin cannot reign in us when Jesus is in our hearts. Jesus defeated the power of sin and death when He was crucified for our sins and rose again fro death.

Again, circular reasoning. "Because the Bible says so" is just obedience to a text.

I personally believe that there is wisdom in Gods laws.

If you can't discern wisdom on your own, how can you claim that something is wise?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Samuel
15:2 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.
(15:2-3) "Thus saith the LORD of hosts ... slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass."
God orders Saul to kill all of the Amalekites: men, women, infants, sucklings, ox, sheep, camels, and asses. Why? Because God remembers what Amalek did hundreds of years ago.
To kill or not to kill
Is God merciful?
What the Bible says about genocide, family values, and God
God's 65th Killing
15:3 Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Genocide sounds immoral to me.
I'm glad you said sounds like. Because sounds like and actuality are two different things. First off you do not understand what the context is that God was stating these things. You take a snippet of bible verse and leave the rest of what was happening. I was waiting for someone to bring up some of the old testament examples. That is why I was emphasizing that we were talking about Mohammad and Jesus. Mohammad claims to be the last great prophet that represents Allah. Jesus was God incarnate and the fulfillment of Gods laws. I was using what Mohammad and Jesus had said as they represent their Gods. Whatever you wish to say or think about the God of the old testament can be fulfilled and seen in Jesus. In Jesus there is no sin so we know that He represents God so in God there is no sin.

There was a trial in Nuremburg where officers claimed they were "just following orders". They were found guilty of very immoral acts.
Jesus did no wrong so there is nothing to Judge Him by. He was following Gods will so there is nothing that God did either that was wrong to be judged.

What do you use to make a wise choice?
Jesus Himself and the teachings of Jesus.

Once again, we have circular reasoning where God is moral because God says he is moral.
Other people said that God was without sin. Jesus was witnessed here on earth to be without sin. He was accused of something He didn't do and was crucified an innocent man. As the bible in Isaiah 53:7. He was led like a lamb to the slaughter and like a sheep before the shearers He was silent and didn't open His mouth. So we have many witnesses as well as Jesus to testify that what God states is true and that He is worthy.

Who else can make that claim but the one who is worthy to make the claim. God is worthy because He is without sin and is the only worthy judge who can judge all in the end. There has to be a worthy judge if there is right and wrong. The truth is what determines this in the end. If there is a truth then that truth has to sit with someone or something. Humanity is in no position to be sitting in judgement as we are all sinners and are not worthy. So I guess in the end each to his own. You decide that there is no God and therefore no truth. You decide no one is accountable. I believe that there is a God and we all are held accountable and there is a truth to life. That truth is in Jesus.

Again, circular reasoning. "Because the Bible says so" is just obedience to a text.
I havnt really quoted anything from the bible as such. Much of what I have said can be seen without the bible. Humans do have an evil side and this can be seen in the acts people do to each other. It can be seen in corruption of power and how people abuse their positions over others. It can be seen in the suffering of humanity. Call it what you want it is still evil, bad, not good, horrible or any other name you give it. Humans have a weak side that does wrong to each other. People can look for the answers to life in many things. There are many claims made by people about knowing and showing what is the best way to live. No one says they have circular reasoning. People pay lots of money to have others show them the way or to give them therapy or wisdom to live a better life.

I just happen to believe that what Jesus said was true. Its no different to someone else believing that any number of people have the key to life. The difference is we know humans are fallible and dont know all the answers. We know that many have tried 100s of different man made ways to find a better life only to be let down. But Jesus makes a claim that He is the way, the Truth and the life. Its totally free and all it takes is faith to find out.

If you can't discern wisdom on your own, how can you claim that something is wise?
Thats right we cannot completely know what is good and what is bad. Thats because we are fallible and not all knowing. We can think something is good but it can turn out bad. We can be influenced by many factors that cause us to not see things clearly and be deluded. Or cause us to purposely choose the wrong path for selfish or personal reasons. So if we had an independent source that was better at choosing what was best because they were all good and all knowing wouldn't it make sense to give that a go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Excuse me, Jesus "represents" God? Isn't he in fact, God himself in a different form? You make him sound like a substitute in a soccer match. They're meant to be one and the same are they not?
The holy trinity is hard to get your head around. Three entities of God yet all one and the same. To the human mind its hard to comprehend. It sounds like there are three Gods. Yet the bible says there is one God. Jesus says He is God and the Holy spirit is said to be God. So its like the one God can have three dimensions which each are unique and an entity themselves. God lives in the spiritual dimension so the concepts will be beyond what we understand in this realm.

Matthew 3:16–17

16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, othe heavens were opened to him,2 and he psaw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; 17 and behold, qa voice from heaven said, r“This is my beloved Son,3 with whom I am well pleased.”

1 Timothy 2:5

5 For http://biblia.com/bible/esv/1 Timothy 2.5#footnote1there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man1 Christ Jesus,

John 14:16–17

16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another dHelper,6 to be with you forever, 17 even ethe Spirit of truth, fwhom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and gwill be7 in you.

Upvote 0

ThinkForYourself

Nov 8, 2013
✟2,284.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm glad you said sounds like. Because sounds like and actuality are two different things.

So, is the bible the inspired word of God or not?

First off you do not understand what the context is that God was stating these things. You take a snippet of bible verse and leave the rest of what was happening. I was waiting for someone to bring up some of the old testament examples.

So what you are saying is that God lacks the ability to write a coherent paragraph, and that you and others are required to interpret God's word.

Can't you can see how silly that is?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, is the bible the inspired word of God or not?
The bible is the word of God that is told from a human perspective.
So what you are saying is that God lacks the ability to write a coherent paragraph, and that you and others are required to interpret God's word.
When you take little snippets or sections of any story or writing and use that on its own and isolated from the rest of the text it is going to be wrongly interpreted or give the wrong impression no matter where its from. Especially if you want to use that snippet to push a certain agenda. Journalists do it all the time.[/quote]

Upvote 0