Can someone explain the anabaptist movement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well they were a squirlly bunch of reformers. They were composed of three main factions, the Hutterites, the Mennonites and the South German/Swiss Anabaptists. These people believed that believers must be baptized after they commit to following Jesus Christ. They were also Pacifist, and believed that there should be no holding of the sword. They also did not subscribe to "Real Presence" in the Eucharist.

The Hutterites went a little further and actually had communal living with no real ownership of possesions. The Hutterites eventually died out. The mennonites remain, and who knows what happened to the South Germans.

The Anabaptists mainly held to the "Schleitheim Confession". Which was a statement of faith that they all had in common, even though they didn't really like eachother too much. In the Schleitheim is adressed some 7 topics that range from: Lord's Supper, Baptism, the Sword, the Ban, Ministers, (i forget the rest).

Hope this aided somewhat.

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't recolect, I have read some trials of the Anabaptists, where they were tried and executed for being and doing rebaptism (which, personally, I see as a sin). It was a nasty business!!

Maybe you can elaborate more on the Munster Anabaptists, I am so curious.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
JVAC said:
Well they were a squirlly bunch of reformers. They were composed of three main factions, the Hutterites, the Mennonites and the South German/Swiss Anabaptists. These people believed that believers must be baptized after they commit to following Jesus Christ. They were also Pacifist, and believed that there should be no holding of the sword. They also did not subscribe to "Real Presence" in the Eucharist.

The Hutterites went a little further and actually had communal living with no real ownership of possesions. The Hutterites eventually died out. The mennonites remain, and who knows what happened to the South Germans.

Actually, the Hutterites have not died out. They still live in the US (mostly the Dakotas) and Canada. They even have their own websites

I think the Amish are the descendants of the South Germans.

This page from the Mennonite Encyclopedia should give you a fairly reliable introduction to the anabaptist movement.

Upvote 0

JVAC

Baptized into His name
Nov 28, 2003
Fresno, CA
✟2,369.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I need to let my College Prof know about that, maybe the Mennonites hold something against the Hutterites; heh heh heh. (I go to a Mennonite School) That guy that wrote the book we used must have either been wrong, or the movement was ressurected.

Thanks for those links Liz!!! Really!

Upvote 0

pmarquette

Nov 17, 2003
Auburn , IL.
Visit site
✟8,938.00
Faith
Protestant
JVAC said:
I don't recolect, I have read some trials of the Anabaptists, where they were tried and executed for being and doing rebaptism (which, personally, I see as a sin). It was a nasty business!!
Micael Sadler , excatholic priest , and nun led one of groups .... rejecting the teaching of " limbo " and infants who die with original sin , citing the baptisms of John and Jesus ; the dedication of Jesus and Samuel ;desired to baptize people as adults , with full knowledge of what they were making a commitment to , understand the baptismal vows of rejecting satan .... an infant cannot do this , though sponsor / parent can cover child with their faith until child reaches age of reason ...
Maybe you can elaborate more on the Munster (Munich) Anabaptists, I am so curious.
one of the black marks on the anabaptist splinter ....
an end time group Lead by Menno Simmons ( as with charismatic founders and often tragic ends .... Waco Texas , Jim Jones , founders of Jehovah's Witnesses , 7th Day Adventist's , Millerite's , etc. ) who seized the city , to await the end of the world and the return of Jesus .... They were attacked , defeated , imprisoned , killed by both catholic and protestants .

couple of links for anabaptists :
http://www.reformed.org/sacramentology/lee/
http://www.mcusa-archives.org/MHB/Muenster465Years.html
http://www.newsoftheodd.com/article1010.html
http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/courses/hist275/February26.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
pmarquette said:
one of the black marks on the anabaptist splinter ....
an end time group Lead by Menno Simmons ( as with charismatic founders and often tragic ends .... Waco Texas , Jim Jones , founders of Jehovah's Witnesses , 7th Day Adventist's , Millerite's , etc. ) who seized the city , to await the end of the world and the return of Jesus .... They were attacked , defeated , imprisoned , killed by both catholic and protestants .

The anabaptists of Muenster were not led by Menno Simons. See http://old.mbconf.ca/mb/mbh3524/friesen2.htm.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.