Can one come to know the Christian God without having to put trust in other humans?

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
My question is very simple:
Can one come to know the Christian God without having to put their trust in the testimony of other humans?

I have no problem with long responses but can you please respond to the question I asked with a yes or no answer before typing anything else. Also please be aware that I am referring specifically to the Christian God, not the existence of God in general.

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can one come to know the Christian God without having to put their trust in the testimony of other humans?

I have no problem with long responses but can you please respond to the question I asked with a yes or no answer before typing anything else. Also please be aware that I am referring specifically to the Christian God, not the existence of God in general.
Not likely. The Christian God will tell you the truth, and if you choose to distrust what is said that is true, you are choosing to not get to know Him.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Not likely. The Christian God will tell you the truth, and if you choose to distrust what is said t
Not likely. The Christian God will tell you the truth, and if you choose to distrust what is said that is true, you are choosing to not get to know Him.

at is true, you are choosing to not get to know Him.
Is there any other way for me to know him without having to trust the words of other humans?

Why hasn't he provided me this option?

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there any other way for me to know him without having to trust the words of other humans?

I think He just places so much value on the truth and if you don't want to listen to Him, you choose to not listen to Him. I get annoyed when people don't listen to me. Imagine that happening to someone who is always right and never wrong!

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I look back on this, what I am saying might not be so clear as it should be, so let me state it more clearly then you can see easier what I have been saying:

Forget all religion, just call out to God "God in the highest, I desperately want you to reveal yourself to me, I want to know the truth". Then if you are prepared to do this with your whole heart, not keeping any for yourself, (I sense you are maybe getting to that point), then He will respond to you. Then you can begin to get to know Him, as a person. Because God is a person that you get to know. Eventually He will testify to you that the bible accounts are written by honest men and He will help you to understand them and make sense of them. That's what I think anyway, since that is more or less how it happened for me.

Upvote 0

alexiscurious

Jul 13, 2014
✟15,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I look back on this, what I am saying might not be so clear as it should be, so let me state it more clearly then you can see easier what I have been saying:

Forget all religion, just call out to God "God in the highest, I desperately want you to reveal yourself to me, I want to know the truth". Then if you are prepared to do this with your whole heart, not keeping any for yourself, (I sense you are maybe getting to that point), then He will respond to you. Then you can begin to get to know Him, as a person. Because God is a person that you get to know. Eventually He will testify to you that the bible accounts are written by honest men and He will help you to understand them and make sense of them. That's what I think anyway, since that is more or less how it happened for me.
I only spoke the last six words that you told me to. Hopefully that doesn't affect anything.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your question.

Yes, I think God can make Himself known to whomever He chooses, & yes, I believe someone can be honoring or worshipping God without ever having known the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mediaeval

baptizatus sum
Sep 24, 2012
✟29,873.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes. We all know something of God without having to trust other people. Briefly, the creation points to a Creator, and the blessings we enjoy daily point to a Creator who is benevolent. Christ Himself is the light who enlightens everyone through the conscience. Hence deep down we know of right and wrong, of a duty to be good, and of a failure to be as good as we ought. We perceive that nevertheless life, especially human life, has intrinsic worth. We sense that life should have meaning and purpose beyond what we can assign to it ourselves, and some of us are confident that our lives do have a greater purpose, even if we cannot fully articulate it. We perceive that love and self-sacrifice are most excellent virtues and find ourselves expecting that these virtues should be found in God Himself, indeed we perceive that He is the true ground of all virtue and transcendent meaning. We would expect love to be communicative and adapted to our capacities for reception and so it is reasonable for us to look for a revelation somewhere in the world, especially one that claims to have a history. This knowledge may have been passed down through human instruments, but it requires us only to trust in the God who is Love, a God who has seen to it that whatever knowledge we need, whatever guidance essential to life, has reached even to our generation. Our needs are our claims on Him. At this point, the prophecies of the Bible fulfilled in Jesus Christ may speak to us themselves, along with the noblest morality ever taught and the worthiest views of God ever preached, carrying their own evidence with them, commending themselves to our conscience. If we are but willing to do God's will, we shall know whether Jesus spoke of Himself, as merely another man like us, or whether He brought a message from His Father and ours, whether in His words and deeds He has revealed God as never before. What hinders you from praying to Him now? from starting to put His words into practice? Will not action will cast fresh light on the whole matter, light not requiring you to trust other humans? In His light, we see light for ourselves.

Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour

If you are still following this thread, then I can answer very definitely - Yes. I use my example here. I was out walking alone one night in a remote spot, a troubled teen, and I became filled with despair. So much heartache, so much loneliness, I let out such a cry of agony - not to God, he was the last person I had on my mind. But I realized afterwards that I was crying out to God, just not consciously. God replied. There was a bright light from above and I felt my whole body being held, hugged, and immense peace came over, and love. A calm male voice spoke clearly, "Follow Jesus". I knew it was an angel. I rushed to church the next Sunday and gave my life to Jesus. I didn't have a chat with anyone beforehand. I didn't listen to anyone's testimony. It was just me and God. When I read about Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus, when God revealed himself to Paul, I was amazed, because that's what happened to me. And at the end of the church service, I had given my life to Jesus and I could feel the Holy Spirit of God, who Jesus sent when he went up into Heaven to be with his Father, rest on me and I welcomed him as he comforted me at that particular moment, when I mourned the death of my old self and rejoiced at my new birth. So, from then, God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit have lived in me and guide me.

Reactions: oi_antz
Upvote 0