Can Feelings Be Trusted?

How do our feelings apply to understanding? Are they useful? Are they essential? Or are they misleading?

I have had much discussion as subtopics in many threads about this and want this to be the main topic. My belief and experiences have taught me that feelings are essential to understand the things of God. But, if not properly applied they can deceive us. Like any test instrument, they must be calibrated and maintained to be trustworthy.

Many people think love is a feeling. I disagree in that love is a devotion that requires giving and sacrificing to someone or something. However, love can and will invoke our senses and cause our feelings to respond, if our senses are healthy, for indeed, they can become sick or "desensitized."

When I read about love in the scriptures, ever so often there is a requirement or action, and sacrifice linked or attached to it. "If you love me, keep my commandments." "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son." Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friend. It seems that the greater is the sacrifice, the greater is the love. Is it possible that we are being tested and taught to attain a higher love? Even a Christlike love? Being created in God's image and likeness, does that "likeness" include the attributes of God? Is there any limit to the development of our Godly attributes if we continuously focus and work on them daily by learning what is corrosive to them and avoid them, or repent of them if they have place in us? And can we focus on learning and applying those things that enrich our Godly attributes to their full potential, a potential that we do not see or understand in the process, but will when we endure the process?

We are taught in scripture to "apply our hearts to understanding" and also warned that our hearts can become corrupt, or are corrupt until we choose to serve God with all of our hearts. Can we fully understand the things of God without the application of our hearts? Do our hearts require preparation?

As I see it, our feelings are a shared application between the physical senses of the body, and the spiritual senses of our spirits. Because of that, only one or the other can operate these feelings, but not both at the same time. One of them will rule the other. The implications are obvious. When our bodies are devoted to worldly pleasures, or addicted to the many stimulations as we abuse our bodies, the Spirit of God cannot access our feelings. He gets a "busy signal". Could not this be one of the reasons that Jesus and His disciples have stressed repentance with such high importance? Could this be why Job declared that to depart from evil is understanding? Our hearts are at play in this important equation, and Ephesians reveals some of the formula, when talking about the wickedness of the gentiles.

Ephesians 4: 18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

God IS Love. Our hearts can respond to the senses that His Spirit invokes upon us, as He dwells within us, if we have prepared ourselves to receive Him.
How could we not sense His presence, He being the very Standard of Love, unless our hearts have been polarized to the kind of love that the world inspires?

The feelings that our heart experiences (but not all have felt it, .... yet) is described by the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. The resurrected Savior came upon them, and by the Spirit had opened their eyes to understand scripture. In Luke 24 it is recorded: 32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?

This feeling did not give them understanding, just like our feelings do not give us love. Their feelings responded to the presence of the Spirit as the Spirit revealed the things that are true, because our feelings respond to love .... if we are not devoting our senses to those things that give the Spirit a busy signal.

I find this 4 min. video, a story given at a LDS General Conference that is doctrinally universal and illustrated very well, to be a good example of how our feelings respond to the things of the Spirit.

Lessons I Learned as a Boy - YouTube

The short answer to your question is - no.

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

What then do you believe Proverbs 2 is telling us?
2. So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;

Upvote 0
Pick ONE:

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord:

Come now, and let us feel together, saith the Lord:
Reasoning does not exclude what your feelings may be telling you.

Were not the two disciples on the road to Emmaus reasoning together when they said: "And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?"

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Feelings are a by-product not a barometer.

images

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Good question. I believe many "feel" they have found the way. So much so that they are 100% convinced. To me, that is dangerous.

A person not being tempted with doubt is beyond the mustard seed. Being able to cast mountains into the sea. Jesus, Paul, John? No one OI have met anyways.

"Become zealous about the Word. For the Word's first condition is faith; the second is love; the third is works. Now from these comes life. For the Word is like a grain of wheat. When someone sowed it, he believed in it; and when it sprouted, he loved it, because he looked forward to many grains in the place of one; and when he worked it, he was saved, because he prepared it for food. Again he left some grains to sow. Thus it is also possible for you all to receive the Kingdom of Heaven: unless you receive it through knowledge, you will not be able to find it.

I never become complacent, Praying and studying always. There is no end till death. There are only pitfalls that can slowly and comfortably swallow you up, if you don't stay on track constantly.

The Lord answered and said: "Truly I say to you, none will be saved unless they believe in my cross. But those who have believed in my cross, theirs is the Kingdom of God. Therefore, become seekers for death, just as the dead who seek for life, for that which they seek is revealed to them. And what is there to concern them? When you turn yourselves towards death, it will make known to you election. In truth I say to you, none of those who are afraid of death will be saved. For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who have put themselves to death. Become better than I; make yourselves like the son of the Holy Spirit."

Christ brought knowledge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TasteForTruth

Half-truths are lies wearing makeup
Dec 2, 2010
✟16,765.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The OP makes no discernible distinction between emotional feelings and spiritual feelings, but I believe the distinction is important. I believe that spiritual feelings (communications that our spirit receives from the Holy Spirit) are always trustworthy. I do not believe that emotional feelings can always be trusted, for they are very easily manipulated. The challenge is, in my mind, learning how to tell the difference between the two.

Upvote 0

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
The OP makes no discernible distinction between emotional feelings and spiritual feelings, but I believe the distinction is important. I believe that spiritual feelings (communications that our spirit receives from the Holy Spirit) are always trustworthy. I do not believe that emotional feelings can always be trusted, for they are very easily manipulated. The challenge is, in my mind, learning how to tell the difference between the two.

That is a good point, TasteforTruth.

I think that this verse is speaking of spiritual feelings.
Romans 15
13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.​

We are told to walk in the Spirit, which includes following promptings of the Spirit.
Romans 8
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Gal 5
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.​

When we do so, a by product is spiritual feelings of love, joy, and peace.
Gal 5
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control.​

Although these fruits can be thought of as character, I think that they also can involve spiritual feelings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I appreciate the good discussions, and just when wifey and I are heading out camping for a few days. Hope to pick up here later, but any remarks about what was felt from the youtube video? When such illustrations are presented that demonstrate love as Christ taught, they have always resulted (for me) in stirring my feelings way deeper and profound that I wish there was a richter scale of sorts to describe it. Whether it be a true story on the news, or years ago watching Little House on the Prarie. It used to embarrass me when tears rolled down the cheeks, until I realized that the common denominator was indeed the illustrations of Christ-like love in action.

Emotions, I believe will be affected by spiritual feelings inevitably. Emotions are affected by sin as well. Can it be that our emotions can become polarized to whatever type of stimulation we subject ourselves to? Is that what may be why scripture gives the solemn warning of becoming "past feeling" when engaging in sinful activity? If response is in the negative to this question, it will be better received with an explanation of what it means to become "past feeling", and how a heart becomes "blind".

Eph. 4: 17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

20 But ye have not so learned Christ;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I agree with drstevej that feelings are (or should be) a by-product of our reasoning together with the Lord. One of the reasons I say this is that our reasoning together with the Lord results in a wide variety of feelings, pulling us in different directions (each of which we swear is true, but they can't all be true.) That is why scripture, not feelings, should be the basis for trust.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Acts 17:11 GFV (Good Feelings Version)

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all sorts of warm fuzzies, and consulted their feelings daily, whether those things did make them glow.

Upvote 0
I agree with drstevej that feelings are (or should be) a by-product of our reasoning together with the Lord. One of the reasons I say this is that our reasoning together with the Lord results in a wide variety of feelings, pulling us in different directions (each of which we swear is true, but they can't all be true.) That is why scripture, not feelings, should be the basis for trust.
Reasoning comes from our intellect.
What makes our intellect more reliable than our feelings?

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Reasoning comes from our intellect.
What makes our intellect more reliable than our feelings?

What we know about the nature of God and His promises all come from reading the scriptures. We study them out and learn by the Holy Spirit guiding our understanding. It is a more objective way of learning than leaning to our own feelings would be. It is because people lean towards their own feelings that we have so many non-Biblical interpretations out there.

Upvote 0