Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Can Christians watch horror movies? Like conjuring 2.
Some people said it is not advisable, because those movies exaggerates the power of devil.
It always show the power of evil can overcome prayer and Bible and the Cross.
Why would I pay to see evil imagined? And influencing my subconscious for hours at a time?

I was at a friends not long ago. Their son was watching TV in the family room. I sat for about half an hour and watched with him, just to see how things had changed since I last owned a television. Well, one that is hooked up to a provider.

I could not believe how much evil is being broadcast prime time.
The Exorcist movie has moved to network? Then there is Lucifer. He's left Hell and now lives where? Of course! The city of angels, Los Angeles California.
And he has a British accent. Why do the bad one's always sound like that on TV shows? Even back in the day?

There's walking zombies, and all manner of other dark shows taking up so many hours on so many different channels.

Rocky Horror Picture show just rebroadcast with a whole new cast. Including a real trans person playing their role

Wow!

And the non-evil stuff is hardly intelligent or written so as to evoke real true spontaneous laughter. It's all elementary humor easy to see coming. Like school yard stuff.

Dumbing down of America. Now I know what they mean when those swag shops sell T's that read as: KILL YOUR TELEVISION!

And, BRAIN SUCKING PROGRAMMING IS RESPONSIBLE FOR REAL LIFE SUCK

There's a visual.

Notice how the TV programming has preceded and now reiterates the real life worldly slide away from righteousness that's happening by programming, law, in America?

• Informative
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's one of those things about which you have to consult your conscience. I think some Christians will feel in their consciences that they are indulging in the occult, and watching horror is therefore sinful. Other Christians will view it as all imaginary, and their consciences are not troubled, so it is not sinful. I think it depends on your conscience. It's the same thing with being a vegetarian or a meat eater, you have to consult your own conscience.

• Agree
Reactions: Neophyte365
Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
It varies from person to person and movie to movie. The Exorcist is based on a true story and I knew a Franciscan friar who was a friend of the priest who performed the real exorcism in the case that inspired the movie. In some ways the real thing was just as chilling as the movie version. But being alerted to the reality and danger of supernatural evil can have the effect of drawing people to Christ.

On the other hand, I know a young man who saw "Poltergeist" with friends on a dare. This young man had secretly become addicted to prescription drugs. The movie had the effect of a demonic infestation in his bedroom, complete with a supernatural light that shone in the dark in his closet and psychokinetic events like having his blankets suddenly ripped from his bed by unseen hands in the middle of the night. Two Pentecostal deliverance ministers performed a house cleansing to no effect. Desperate, this evangelical Protestant family asked the Catholic church for help and they sent a mild-mannered Nigerian priest who took command of the demon and delivered the young man of his demonic oppression.

So horror movies can have very different effects on different people. I would urge people to pray about whether God wants them to see such a movie.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't see anything wrong with it provided you're sure it won't give you nightmares or anything or have a severe effect on you. People are affected by a lot of different things, and one person may be just fine with something that another person is terrified of. Say you're watching a horror movie about evil spirits, and that doesn't bother you, but there's a single scene where spiders do creepy things and you're scared stiff of spiders.

In short, if you don't think it's going to have a negative psychological influence on you, horror movies can be okay. Heck, some people even like to be scared because of adrenaline.

I say it's fine as long as it's not promoting evil or anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can Christians watch horror movies? Like conjuring 2.
Some people said it is not advisable, because those movies exaggerates the power of devil.
It always show the power of evil can overcome prayer and Bible and the Cross.

13 For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love. (Galatians 5:13 NLT)

Christians are free to watch anything they like. The question is, should you?

3 I will refuse to look at anything vile and vulgar (Psalms 101:3 NLT).

8 And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. (Philippians 4:8 NLT)

3 Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. 2 Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.3 For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. (Colossians 3:1-3 NLT)

Horror movies, or any movies that aren't exactly teaching good and right things, or which twist reality in a very serious way, whether we want or not, will affect our souls. You watch, you forget, but the images and ideas will stay with you for the rest of your life. Not the best baggage to carry in your heart. Watch a good movie instead. One that will teach something pure and good. Or just pray and read the Bible. Or take a walk. Or spend quality time with family. Or do one million other things, that are much more useful and healthy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean technically you could watch it. Though its not something we should fill our heads with. Especially because it makes you crave more horror movies. Part of it is the thrill of being scared. But even though its a movie, it can still draw from real evil things. Like the new Oujia movie. It may not be the board game your playing, but your still seeing something that has dangerous power in real life.

Then again I just find horror movies pointless and not scary. They are silly to me. I seen Deadpool though so I can't exactly throw stones at anyone in this debate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Can Christians watch horror movies?

It depends on the nature of the movie.

If its the typical gory slasher / nudity / sex fest then it's pretty obvious that you should not be watching.

But if its intelligent, subtle, and with a strong moral teaching (which, lets face it, is up there with hen's teeth in the vast majority of television and movies) then there is no reason why not. To be fair afterall, the Book of Revelation reads like a horror story in places and I count "The Passion of the Christ" as a brutal exhibition of violence as inappropriate contentography that really does little if anything edifying.

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It depends on the nature of the movie.

If its the typical gory slasher / nudity / sex fest then it's pretty obvious that you should not be watching.

But if its intelligent, subtle, and with a strong moral teaching (which, lets face it, is up there with hen's teeth in the vast majority of television and movies) then there is no reason why not. To be fair afterall, the Book of Revelation reads like a horror story in places and I count "The Passion of the Christ" as a brutal exhibition of violence as inappropriate contentography that really does little if anything edifying.

Do you really seriously believe a horror movie can actually contain a good, valid, proper, clean and truthful moral core? Are you serious??? I'm not doubting your opinion, I'm bewildered. I'm not familiar with this genre except for a number of movies I watched a very long time ago. I remember vaguely now, but you know, those popular famous movies (I don't want to mention their titles) at the time - I can't honestly say I've taken anything edifying for my soul from them... The message overall was pretty grim, pessimistic, deceiving, clearly not leading to anything of real value in the light of God's truth that I know now. I'm trying to be objective.

Not that everything about them was gruesome, bad, immoral, etc. But the core message was... not exactly aligned with God's values, if not the opposite.

With some characters or story pillars that can be interpreted as carrying morally valid and good sides to them.

If you understand what I'm talking about. ..

P.S. (Can I say that you divide the horror movies into two categories, speaking in Biblical context - appealing to your flesh, and appealing to your mind? If so, can't the 2nd category be potentially even more destructive?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If i recall michael jackson would seduce his victims by getting them to watch exorcist movie and pretneding to be scared that hed want to sleep in bed with them at his 'sleepovers'.

He glamorised the occult with his thriller video. All in the name of 'innocent' fun. Well i dont think it was that funny when he had that whole court case thing and it all ended badly with millions of damages and broken families. Dont try to make evil good. Its not.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Do you really seriously believe a horror movie can actually contain a good, valid, proper, clean and truthful moral core? Are you serious???

Yes, I am serious.

As I said, I am not referring to the slasher gore sex-fest that is your typical horror movie. I'm talking about intelligent spooky ghost story types.

As I said, if the Book of Revelation were ever made into a movie IT would be classed as horror. Have you read what happens in it?

The problem horror stories are the ones that are sensationalist (exploitation movies) and the ones which are anti-biblical in how they get rid of the demons. There is nothing unbiblical about movies that depict demonic possession, for example; the problem comes in how they deal with the demons, how they exorcise them, not their presence.

Have you seen, for example, Night of the Demon (the 1957 movie) which depicts a Satanist using the summoning of demons and how
he gets hoisted by his own petard
?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oujia is coming soon, looks scary.
Can I watch?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4361050/

Nope. Again "technically" you could watch, you have free will. But Oujia boards are super dangerous in real life. Yes, they don't do crazy things like you seen in the trailer for the movie. But alot of christians believe they draw from evil powers. I've seen people play it for the first time and they all say "something" is moving the pointer thing around the board as if they have no control. If thats not evil I don't what is. Even former witches admit its evil.

Even before I was told it was evil, I seen it on someones shelf and my hair stood up on my neck. I could feel it.

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I am serious.

As I said, I am not referring to the slasher gore sex-fest that is your typical horror movie. I'm talking about intelligent spooky ghost story types.

As I said, if the Book of Revelation were ever made into a movie IT would be classed as horror. Have you read what happens in it?

The problem horror stories are the ones that are sensationalist (exploitation movies) and the ones which are anti-biblical in how they get rid of the demons. There is nothing unbiblical about movies that depict demonic possession, for example; the problem comes in how they deal with the demons, how they exorcise them, not their presence.

Have you seen, for example, Night of the Demon (the 1957 movie) which depicts a Satanist using the summoning of demons and how
he gets hoisted by his own petard
?

Thank you for explaining more. Now I understand better your perspective. You talk about kind of true spiritual reality like demonic possession and exorcism by Christians. Hmmmm. No, I didn't watch that 1957 movie. I did watch smth involving the devil and such. Dark stuff. I don't remember how Biblically and spiritually true they were, I really doubt. Overall, and in their main message. In some characters, story lines or episodes, maybe. But I see what you mean. I don't know if I would watch even with the right kind of story - I'm not a big movie watcher as it is without these kind of movies that I refuse to watch. Yes, if Revelation was to be put on screen that would make a horror movie all right. Prophetic scary scary vision. Though it's allehory or history - of past or future, depending on interpretation. So depending on how diligently it's depicted with means of cinematography, it can be very helpful to people! I wander why nobody has done it yet. Such potential. Maybe actually not easy. Too much interpretation or fantasy required and so will probably never satisfy all . Will draw too much criticism. Like the Passion of the Christ movie you mentioned. Maybe Mel Gibson is still regretting? Maybe not.

But those "spiritual or Christian-themed" movies, do you think they can truly be categorized as "horror"? Maybe in some ways, depending on level of how graphic the visual effects are? A movie can be scary without being a horror movie per se, right, no? More maybe like "paranormal suspense thriller" or whatever. I'm not a movie buff, so, not strong in those definitions. And then, there are probably movies which are a kind of cross of genres.

Last edited:
Upvote 0