Dec 29, 2004
✟175,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Unless they are Amish or Mennonite they should be punched in the nose for saying women can't wear pants. The Amish & Mennonites get a pass because it is a culture thing & nothing they can back in Scripture. I affirm their right to maintain a culture. . .

Orthodox Christian women have to wear long skirts and dresses, sleeves, etcetera when visiting monasteries- which often have strict dress codes. Head coverings are also expected in monasteries and in some parishes. Dress codes are also strict for men as well.

My own parish has people who run the spectrum. Some women wear skirts, dresses, and head coverings, some wear very modest pants/trousers and head coverings, and some wear a combo of skirts, dresses, pants/trousers and no head coverings.

Some things are cultural. For example, the Ethiopians at my parish will take off their shoes in church during Lent. Those of us in choir- we stand all the time- were even told that unless we were Ethiopian we had to leave our shoes on. ^_^

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Max Shade

Feb 18, 2013
Eastcoast
✟2,197.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I left Orthodox out.:blush:

I should have said, not an exhaustive list. My angst is directed at little sects of ultra-legalists & holier than everybody folks like Westboro Baptist. . . folks that use their manner of dress not as a cultural identity or a discipline of devotion but as a tool for proving how superior their little clique is. That is what angers me on the pants debate. . . . I didn't mean to leave anyone legit out of the "get a pass" list.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Alvis

Harry Potter
Aug 30, 2013
Here
✟1,906.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I can't imagine there would be any scripture against a woman wearing pants. I agree with others who say wear what you're comfortable in.

It says in Deuteronomy that it is an abomination for a man to wear woman's clothes, so they assume it works both ways. Pants are traditionally men's clothes. Religion is very much about the idea of gender-separation, you see.

Upvote 0

Alvis

Harry Potter
Aug 30, 2013
Here
✟1,906.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Actually, don't pants tend to cover up more than dresses do?

Pants are more modest the way I see it. lol

Not all. Some are very low cut, and many are far more skin tight than a long, loose-fitting dress that extends to a woman's ankles.

I think dresses can be far more modest than pants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alvis

Harry Potter
Aug 30, 2013
Here
✟1,906.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Sorry I left Orthodox out.:blush:

I should have said, not an exhaustive list. My angst is directed at little sects of ultra-legalists & holier than everybody folks like Westboro Baptist. . . folks that use their manner of dress not as a cultural identity or a discipline of devotion but as a tool for proving how superior their little clique is. That is what angers me on the pants debate. . . . I didn't mean to leave anyone legit out of the "get a pass" list.

Is Westboro legalistic? I thought they were crazy, possibly poes, but I never saw them as legalistic. They just hate gays, like many good christians happen to (they're just more vocal about it than the average Joe Sunday christian).

I think christians should take a specific code for their dress. We are to be set apart and the Amish, Quakers and many Mennonites do it. Even some of the apostolic pentecostals have hat and dress codes that must be enforced in church. Priests and nuns wear sacred vestments and we are all kings and priests among men, so why not be a holy and unique people, set apart to do good works? And I'm not talking about a "I wuv Jesus homeboy" T-shirt either. Those should be burned.

I admire legalists because at least they take their religion seriously. They don't pick and choose what they accept and what they don't. They're serious about pleasing God and don't snicker at sin. They're tough on it, just like Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some people say yes some say no.
I personally wear pants a lot, but I want to get more feminine clothing. Anywho, what do you guys say?

it's ok if they put them on one leg at a time; otherwise it can be dangerous :)

Deu 22:5 KJV
(5) The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

if you think about this in context of the way people dressed in that day, there was very little difference between the way men and women dressed to begin with. there were no pants then; both men and women wrapped cloth around themselves for underwear ('girdle') and outer clothing, so basically everyone wore dresses by our modern definition. so the meaning here must be deeper - that a man shouldn't try to pass himself off as a woman and vice versa, as this would lead to madness since there was basically no interaction between couples who were chosen to marry by their parents (like discovering that your wife was a man once, or that your husband was a woman once).

Rom 14:21-23 KJV
(21) It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
(22) Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
(23) And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Paul is talking about eating meats from sacrifices made to idols, but the principal applies to anything not clearly addressed in scripture. if you are a woman and you feel that wearing pants is wrong, then for you it is. if you are a woman that thinks wearing pants is ok, then for you it is. if you think pants are ok and choose to wear pants that might make men lust after your body, this is not good. if you are a man, don't look at women that dress in a way that leads you to lust for them any more than you have to look at them, and don't judge women by the way they dress because scripture is not clear about this, and God isn't holding ANYONE'S real or perceived 'sins' against them, so neither should you.

Upvote 0