Can anyone explain how the moth got it's owl eyes?

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟936,867.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
So the God is Love, Prince of Peace created life to fight, mutate, claw and die its way from bacteria to man, then told us to love thine enemies?

What's the difference in your god's eyes from bacteria having to emit mycotoxins to stand their ground from invading bacteria, and the Ukraine defending itself against Russia, or Israel from Hamas?
Isn't that a consequence of Omniscience and Omnipotence? Every dark and twisted thing that has happened or will happen was a part of a deliberate plan?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Apparently so, which is one of the reasons I doubt the existence of your God, but accept the Janus like aspects of nature.

Now I consider this an honest answer.

I don't have a God,

* cough *

... so why don't you tell me what the difference is?

There is none.

Bacteria emit mycotoxins to repel invading bacteria.

One country emits their "mycotoxins" to repel invading countries.

The scale is just larger on our end.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Isn't that a consequence of Omniscience and Omnipotence?

No.

You can watch Inherit the Wind sixty times, until you know what they're going to do and say by heart.

That doesn't mean you're the cause of their actions.

Every dark and twisted thing that has happened or will happen was a part of a deliberate plan?

Satan's plan, yes.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟362,971.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I believe it's called either survival of the fittest, or fight or flight.

Both are now considered outdated and old fashioned, especially the first which is loaded with outdate Victorian era meanings and doesn't really explain the complexity of nature, hence why it's simply called natural selection nowadays.
The newer term is for the latter is fight-flight-freeze-fawn. Also more scientifically labelled as hyperarousal or acute stress response.

I think you're tilting at a windmill again, Don Quixote.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟177,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It's about the words. He holds that lactose intolerance, the natural state of man and other mammals, is an imperfection because it's called lactose intolerance. And we need not mention Pluto. For some people, words are more powerful than reality.

Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟310,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
... There really is nothing I can say in response that is not a insult towards yourself or your parentage with that question. It's the most asinine question I've ever seen you ask.
You made me look. That was quite the post. At least it wasn't from the file with the pre-writen responses.

AV, since you'll probably see this but I won't see any response -- It is not our task as scientists to protect your delicate feelings or worry about the impact of our investigations of reality on your particular religious dogmas.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AV, since you'll probably see this but I won't see any response --

That's sad.

It is not our task as scientists to protect your delicate feelings ...

But you'll protect yours by putting me in IGNORE, won't you?

For the record, I'm glad it's not scientists' task to protect my "delicate feelings," else science would probably create some kind of device to deal with anyone who disagrees with me.

Like thumbscrews, head squeezers, the rack, or interrogation chairs.

What's the difference between nature's mycotoxins and mankinds' weapons of mass destruction?

... or worry about the impact of our investigations of reality on your particular religious dogmas.

I know.

We commoners are the ones who are supposed to do the worrying about your alarms.

You know?

Overcrowding, global warming, ecological imbalances, Y2K, asteroids & comets on the way, a coming ice age, and who knows what all else?

"The scientists' warnings weave a compelling narrative of humanity at a crossroads, urging us to acknowledge the fragility of our biosphere and embrace a collective responsibility for safeguarding our future through proper, science-based actions," said co-author William Ripple, Oregon State University Distinguished Professor of ecology, who led the project to write the article.

SOURCE

This bears repeating:

If everything happened to us that science said was supposed to happen, we wouldn't be here now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's about the words. He holds that lactose intolerance, the natural state of man and other mammals, is an imperfection because it's called lactose intolerance. And we need not mention Pluto. For some people, words are more powerful than reality.

Finally!

Someone who understands!

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For some people, words are more powerful than reality.

For the record, re: lactose intolerance, you're not intimating my words don't reflect reality, are you?

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟177,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
For the record, re: lactose intolerance, you're not intimating my words don't reflect reality, are you?
Maybe it's an aesthetic difference. Your book tells us that man was created to be a vegetarian, right? Thus, he would only need to use lactase while he was nursing, and after that it would be unnecessary. It seems to me that a system which automatically shuts down when it is no longer needed is an elegant feature rather than a bug.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your book tells us that man was created to be a vegetarian, right? Thus, he would only need to use lactase while he was nursing, and after that it would be unnecessary.

Why?

Vegetarians don't drink milk?

Upvote 0

Thurston-howell-III

Mar 20, 2024
FL
✟5,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Given the number of extinct species I don't think we have exceeded our luck allowance quite yet.

No, I'm not really interested in playing equivocation games with you.
Translation: " I don't want to answer but I know dishonest luck when I see it, just can't admit it."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thurston-howell-III

Mar 20, 2024
FL
✟5,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Obviously the complicated repair mechanisms are not necessary for replication, so they would have come later.

A repair mechanism, by its very nature would be a selected for trait,
But Did the sequences originate before the decoding mechanism did? Or at the same time? hmmmm?

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟177,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Translation: " I don't want to answer but I know dishonest luck when I see it, just can't admit it."
What in the world is "dishonest luck?"

I'm beginning to get the impression that you want to prove that the theory of evolution denies God's authorship of our being and all this empty huffing and puffing about "random" and "luck" is just a Trojan Horse.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm beginning to get the impression that you want to prove that the theory of evolution denies God's authorship of our being ...

Two words effectively do that: lactose intolerance.

Upvote 0