Planet Earth
✟15,677.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
First of all, before you answer, let me say right off the bat this is not an issue that I am personally dealing with, but someone did ask me today if a Christian could date and even marry someone who happens to be bisexual.

Now, my initial thought process was, assuming that the person who was bisexual was not the same gender as me, was a Christian themselves and maybe just struggled with bisexual temptations and such, it would be okay to marry that person I thought and couldn't think of anything inherently or biblically wrong with it. I'm not certain though, does my thought process sound biblically accurate? And what do you think about this topic?

Thanks.

Last edited:

ellico

Jun 18, 2013
✟7,612.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My personal belief is that we are all born with different temptations and struggles. I believe that being attracted to the same sex is a sin that the person is supposed to give to God just like any other struggle. I do not agree with the school of thought that "God hates gays" because we are ALL sinners and God loves each of us the same and forever. So, in short, a Christian can marry a bisexual, just as a Christian can marry a liar or a murderer or an adulter or a thief and so on. The bible says that it is better for a believer to marry a believer and if that is the case then that Christian should minister to his or her spouse and help them give that struggle over to God and have it dealt with. And yes, the person should be of the opposite sex. :) Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
First of all, before you answer, let me say right off the bat this is not an issue that I am personally dealing with, but someone did ask me today if a Christian could date and even marry someone who happens to be bisexual.

Now, my initial thought process was, assuming that the person who was bisexual was not the same gender as me, was a Christian themselves and maybe just struggled with bisexual temptations and such, it would be okay to marry that person I thought and couldn't think of anything inherently or biblically wrong with it. I'm not certain though, does my thought process sound biblically accurate? And what do you think about this topic?

Thanks.

well, why not?

heck, you could marry a GAY person, as long as they are opposite gender from you if you wish

you have already answered your own question, being tempted as well as ability to be tempted is not a sin.

if you cant marry a person who can be tempted bisexually? then what about a person that can still be tempted heterosexually?

according to that logic, you cant marry anyone

Upvote 0

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would greatly depend on where that person stood as far as this struggle with sin goes. Are they openly bisexual? Recovering, former bisexual? Never acted on it, but had thoughts and urges? Do THEY think being bisexual is OK or normal? Do they recognize it as sin and are they actively working to overcome the temptation?

Look at it this way. If someone told you they were a rapist, but never acted on it, they just had the thoughts and urges sometimes, would you be OK with marrying them? How about if they were a thief who just tried their best to resist stealing but always had the temptation playing in the back of their mind? This is why it's crucial to know where that person stands on the issue. If it's a sin, then it needs to be fought against until it's overcome. You don't sweep it under the rug and act like it's no big deal as long as they aren't "acting on it". To God, thoughts are just as meaningful as actions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It would greatly depend on where that person stood as far as this struggle with sin goes. Are they openly bisexual? Recovering, former bisexual? Never acted on it, but had thoughts and urges? Do THEY think being bisexual is OK or normal? Do they recognize it as sin and are they actively working to overcome the temptation?

Look at it this way. If someone told you they were a rapist, but never acted on it, they just had the thoughts and urges sometimes, would you be OK with marrying them? How about if they were a thief who just tried their best to resist stealing but always had the temptation playing in the back of their mind? This is why it's crucial to know where that person stands on the issue. If it's a sin, then it needs to be fought against until it's overcome. You don't sweep it under the rug and act like it's no big deal as long as they aren't "acting on it". To God, thoughts are just as meaningful as actions.

well, it is important for the OP to remember ability to be tempted does not automatically make it wrong

if that the case, ALL of us would be adulterers, gay or straight, as we can ALL still be tempted

I hate it when people play word game like this

if you can be tempted to steal, even if you have not given in, you are a thief, if you can be tempted to murder, even if you have not given in, you are murderer, well according to that logic, since all of us can be tempted have sex with people who are not our partners, does that make us all adulterers then?

and yes, all of us has the potential ability to commit all kind of sins, if you think you wont be able to commit murder under certain circumstances, then you are deceiving yourself.

1 John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to be asking yourself all the right questions in order to answer the query you received.
The number one question I would pose back to the asker is, ‘Why would you buy potential trouble if you have a choice?’

The Christian Community needs to address these issues and questions when they arise. We have become too silent because of a hostile society toward Christian Beliefs. Our survival will be linked to our loyalty to Christ and each other.

I have some excellent articles on my blog regarding these issue, they can be found in the achieves of August 2012 are titled “Christian Community’s Survival”, “The Next American Revival”, “Political Correctness – The Killer of the Church”, etc.
You can find my blog information on my profile page under "contact info".

This response comes from someone who has been in Fulltime Christian Ministry for 20 years and I long to help those who have misguided or misdirected by ‘wolves in sheep’s clothing’.

Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You seem to be asking yourself all the right questions in order to answer the query you received.
The number one question I would pose back to the asker is, ‘Why would you buy potential trouble if you have a choice?’

The Christian Community needs to address these issues and questions when they arise. We have become too silent because of a hostile society toward Christian Beliefs. Our survival will be linked to our loyalty to Christ and each other.

I have some excellent articles on my blog regarding these issue, they can be found in the achieves of August 2012 are titled “Christian Community’s Survival”, “The Next American Revival”, “Political Correctness – The Killer of the Church”, etc.
You can find my blog information on my profile page under "contact info".

This response comes from someone who has been in Fulltime Christian Ministry for 20 years and I long to help those who have misguided or misdirected by ‘wolves in sheep’s clothing’.

Huh?

would you like me to take back what I said about "heterosexual can be tempted too"?

I don't think I will, because I stand on the word of God

if gay or bisexuals are potential trouble, than all straights are too

unless of course, according to you, heterosexual adultery is not considered trouble?

sheep in wolves clothing? LOL, who is really the sheep in wolves clothing really depend on whether their actions matches word of God itself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
well, it is important for the OP to remember ability to be tempted does not automatically make it wrong

if that the case, ALL of us would be adulterers, gay or straight, as we can ALL still be tempted

I hate it when people play word game like this

if you can be tempted to steal, even if you have not given in, you are a thief, if you can be tempted to murder, even if you have not given in, you are murderer, well according to that logic, since all of us can be tempted have sex with people who are not our partners, does that make us all adulterers then?

and yes, all of us has the potential ability to commit all kind of sins, if you think you wont be able to commit murder under certain circumstances, then you are deceiving yourself.

1 John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us

It's not a word game. You're trying to compare a LIFESTYLE to a ONE TIME temptation. Totally different ballparks here.

If you had one, fleeting bisexual thought 20 years ago, you wouldn't call yourself a bisexual (even if you didn't practice it).

I'm talking about sin that is long-term and deeply embedded, so much that it's a constant struggle.

Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's not a word game. You're trying to compare a LIFESTYLE to a ONE TIME temptation. Totally different ballparks here.

If you had one, fleeting bisexual thought 20 years ago, you wouldn't call yourself a bisexual (even if you didn't practice it).

I'm talking about sin that is long-term and deeply embedded, so much that it's a constant struggle.

OK

let be clear

Any Christian who is not married and is young enough ( so their hormone is all wild) would attest to being tempted by this type of sin on a regular basis.

Do they allow it to go as far as actually committing the sin in their heart?

Well, maybe far and in between ( though once in 20 years is bit a stretch)

but the fact is , they still have urges

why do you think some pastors recommend Christian young men ( straight ones I mean) to take a cold shower if necessary?

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Huh?

would you like me to take back what I said about "heterosexual can be tempted too"?

I don't think I will, because I stand on the word of God

if gay or bisexuals are potential trouble, than all straights are too

unless of course, according to you, heterosexual adultery is not considered trouble?

sheep in wolves clothing? LOL, who is really the sheep in wolves clothing really depend on whether their actions matches word of God itself.

I can see you are given to distortions - - -
To be unequally yoked in any relationship will bring trouble and that is God's Word - the Bible.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Thanks.

In real, historic, orthodox Christianity, we are logical: we do not falsely equate sexual orientation with sexual activity. One is what one is and the other is what one does. We don't get to pick our orientation, and thankfully, a growing number of Christians are finally submitting to that fact. However, we do get to pick whether to be sexually active.

A heterosexual like myself doesn't suddenly become asexual because I don't have sex; my sexual attraction for woman is not changed by my non-activity. Likewise, a homosexual doesn't become asexual or heterosexual by his or her non-sexual activity; it means they've chosen celibacy.

Bisexuals are those individuals whose sexual orientation is that they find both men and women sexually appealing. In rare cases, they find both equally appealing, but for most, they do prefer one more than the other (yet still find the other sexually appealing).

So can bisexuals marry in a Christian sense? Yes: since a bisexual is the only sexuality that has a truly natural choice, they can choose to practice their sexuality with those of the opposite sex. This is easiest for those bisexuals that prefer the opposite over the same, but even those who find both sexes equally appealing or the same gender more can still choose likewise. However, those who desire to be with those of the same gender cannot marry under the Christian understanding of the term. This is especially true for those bisexuals who do have a stronger preference towards those of the same sex.

Thankfully there is a historic Christian alternative for such bisexuals and all homosexuals: adelphopoiesis. Unfortunately, it has long fallen from common practice. Personally, I'd say it is high time for its return.

Upvote 0

TravelerFarAwayFromHome

Broken but loved
Jan 16, 2013
✟27,939.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can see you are given to distortions - - -

please elaborate

To be unequally yoked in any relationship will bring trouble and that is God's Word - the Bible.

The one time ( as far as I am aware of) the word "yoke" was used in the scripture was referring to unbelievers.

2 Corinthian 6 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers

we ALL have sinful nature

we ALL can be tempted sexually, either by a person of the same sex, a person of different sex, or both.

if you are using this criteria, that a person could be tempted sexually by another person in the wrong way, then EVERYONE would fit under YOUR definition of bringing in trouble

so there is no need to single out the gays and bisexuals.

to do would be applying a double standard, which does not PLEASE the Lord and is un biblical.

Upvote 0