Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This whole anti-OSAS assumes we have something to do with our own salvation. If you'll think back to the covenant God made with Abraham, you'll see that it was a unilateral covenant based on nothing that Abraham did or could do.

It is the same with us. We are called and chosen, regardless of where we are and what we've done. When we accept Him, the Bible says that HE is faithful to make us holy. It has nothing to do with us. A person may become a Christian and then profess to not believe but we don't know the rest of the story. We don't know if he'll come back one day.

I do believe that some of us will have great rewards in heaven (the Billy Graham's) and some will get in by the skin of their teeth (the ones who quit believing).

Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JasmineJohnston said:
Is a Christian saved forever, or can someone lose their salvation?

This subject has been debated into the ground but, no, I don't believe a true Christian can lose salvation. The Bible says that Jesus will lose nothing that belongs to Him. And as for those who claim to be Christians and then leave it, the Scipture says they went out from us that it might be made manifest that they were not all of us. In other words, they were never true Christians. If I had time, I'd get the Scriptural references for you but I have to leave for choir soon. There are other Scriptural clues too. But this is one of those subjects that everyone will continue to disagree on.

Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
knownbeforetime said:
I do believe that some of us will have great rewards in heaven (the Billy Graham's) and some will get in by the skin of their teeth (the ones who quit believing).

That's it right there. The works will be tested by fire. Christians whose works burn up remain saved because the foundation, Jesus, remains. They suffer loss but will still be saved. God answered me about this a long time ago when I was a new Christian and first heard about the possibility of losing salvation. I just don't believe the Bible supports that assumption.

Upvote 0

UncleFud

Feb 16, 2006
✟7,645.00
Faith
Baptist
salt_of_the_earth said:
someone cannot be a believer their whole life and then one day renounce Christ and go on a killing spree and expected to be saved if they do not ask for forgiveness.

if someone is ALWAYS saved then y bother doing anything good, because in the end, you'll go to heaven anyway?

If the assurance of salvation rests on the capriciousness of human behavior, we have very little to hope for indeed. And assertions here that a true Chrisitian would be incapable of 'this or that' are simply naive. Anyone here think Satan isn't working overtime to cause believers to fall?

Why bother doing good? 'cuz because ya love Jesus, and that's what he wants. You have the indwelling of the Holy Ghost, directing you, however difficult the path or situation. One would "do good" for ones spouse, children, or dog. How much more for He who ransomed us from damnation?

It may be simple, but as a preacher once opined on salvation: you can't be good enough to earn it, and you can't be bad enough to lose it. He went on to warn of "cheap grace" (sinning with the knowledge that one will be forgiven), but cheap grace robs the believer, not God.

Again, if salvation is dependent on the utter inconsistency of human behavior, we might as well throw in the towel and 'do what thou wilt', because there would be no assurance of eternity anyway.

Upvote 0

ChrisinMI

Nov 18, 2005
✟15,439.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
sing4him said:
If a person has truly asked Christ into their life/heart, then He promised to with us forever; that we'd have everlasting life. No, that doesn't give the license to go on sinning. If someone's life never changes, then you might question if they were ever saved in the first place or just went through the motions. But on the other hand, being saved doesn't make us perfect now either. We're still sinners, but we've been saved by God's grace. That's why Christ died on the cross.

He paid a debt He didn't owe; We owe debt we can't pay.

Well said!

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
salt_of_the_earth said:
If you say a Christian is saved forever, then how do u explain people who before claimed to be full believing Christians, and now claim to be Atheist. Are you telling me there professed Atheist are saved????

The Bible tells us that there are people who profess a "said faith", but who have not embraced Christ and have not been regenerated by the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

ChrisinMI

Nov 18, 2005
✟15,439.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
knownbeforetime said:
This whole anti-OSAS assumes we have something to do with our own salvation. If you'll think back to the covenant God made with Abraham, you'll see that it was a unilateral covenant based on nothing that Abraham did or could do.

It is the same with us. We are called and chosen, regardless of where we are and what we've done. When we accept Him, the Bible says that HE is faithful to make us holy. It has nothing to do with us. A person may become a Christian and then profess to not believe but we don't know the rest of the story. We don't know if he'll come back one day.

Its all about those that have little will have much in heaven and those that have much will have little.

Our deeds don't get our way into heaven...but they may give us jewels in our crowns. Either way...heaven is going to be beyond anything we can even imagine or wish for!

Upvote 0

MikeMcK

Apr 10, 2002
✟13,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
JasmineJohnston said:
Can a Christian Lose Their Salvation?

Hi Jasmine. The Bible tells us that there are seven reasons why we can't lose our salvation.

1. Nothing can separate you from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus your Lord.

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)
Neither death nor anything that happens after death, or anything that happens while you're living can separate you from God's love. If there were no other verse in the Bible that deals with eternal security, this one covers the base.

2. When you are saved, you are made perfect forever.

For by one offering He [Jesus] hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. (Hebrews 10:14)
When Jesus died on the cross, He saved you forever. Jesus offered one sacrifice for sin forever. If you ever lost your salvation, in order for you to be saved again, Jesus would have to die again. By one offering He has perfected forever those who were sanctified.

3. Our Lord always finishes what He begins.

Being confident of this very thing, that He [God] which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)
Let me tell you what the Holy Spirit of God does for your salvation. First, He convicted you of sin. Second, He converted you. And the Convictor and the Converter is also the Completer. If God fails to finish what He's begun God has failed and He cannot fail.

4. You are predestined to be like Jesus.

For whom He [God] did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. (Romans 8:29)
God saw you before this world was put in space. He saw you repent of your sin and ask Jesus to save you. And when God saw that, not only did He foreknow it, but also He predestinated it. If it is settled in eternity how can it be undone in time?

5. You are in Christ.

Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
You are in Christ just like Noah was in the ark. The ark was a picture of Jesus and when Noah went into that ark God shut the door. Noah may have fallen down a lot of times in that ark, but he never fell out of it. Your security is not in a place, it is in a Person and His name is Jesus. And if you're in Jesus, you're secure and if you're not in Jesus you're not secure.

6. You already have eternal life.

Heareth My word, and believeth on him that sent Me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (John 5:24)
Everlasting life is not something you get when you die. Everlasting life is something you get when you receive Jesus. If I have everlasting life, when can it end? Suppose I had it 10 years and it ended. Did I have everlasting life? No, I had a 10-year life. Whatever you have, if you ever lose it, whatever it was it wasn't everlasting.

7. The Lord Jesus Christ is ever interceding for you.
I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given Me; for they are Thine. (John 17:9)

Jesus also prayed: "I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil...Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word" (John 17:15, 20). Say your name in that verse because Jesus prayed for you! Has Jesus ever prayed a prayer that wasn't answered? No, not one (see John 11:42 and Hebrews 7:25).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟15,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep, well said. And I've pointed that out before. For some people, I think it boils down to wanting to get some credit for getting themselves to heaven. I also think people get salvation and rewards mixed up. Salvation is an unearned, unmerited gift. Rewards must be earned. It won't be the same for everyone in heaven. Just as all punishment in hell won't be the exactl same for everyone.

Upvote 0

RMathison

Feb 18, 2006
✟400.00
Faith
Christian
Here's some verses from

2 Corinthians, which I feel show that a Christian CAN'T lose their salvation:

(from the Greek Interlinear)

2 Cor 1:22

He and having SEALED us, and having given the DEPOSIT of the Spirit, in the hearts of us.

2 Cor 4:14

...knowing that He, having raised the Lord Jesus, ALSO US, with Jesus WILL raise, and WILL present (us) with you.

2 Cor 5:1

We KNOW For, that if the earthly of us house of the tabernacle is destroyed, a building of God we HAVE, a house NOT made by hands.

2 Cor 5:4-5

...that may be swallowed the mortal, by the LIFE. He but having worked in us, for this same thing (is) God, He also giving us the DEPOSIT of the Spirit.

2 Cor 5:17

So as if anyone (is) in Christ, (he/she is) a NEW CREATION; the old things passed away, behold, have become NEW, all things.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I don't feel they lose they lose their salvation it's something you will have. I do feel people backslide like gave up on it. The persons name offically would get earesed I am thinking once we are judged we God says I know you not or something along those lines:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dillfazie

Mar 26, 2006
✟15,160.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
:wave:

I see that this is a topic which has made it's way to other forums...
I here those of you that state, "Once saved always saved"

imho, a truly Christ filled believer will not lose their salvation, as long as they repent and surrender their will daily, moment by moment, this however, is not the easiest thing to do in todays' world, with all the wants, and got to haves we profess to need...

I here what the scriptures tell us about many whom will look to the clouds upon Jesus's return and say Jesus, Jesus we did mighty miracles in your name and Jesus will reply, "I know you not!"

doesn't Paul tell us to work out our salvation with fear and trembling?

I agree with the earlier posts of it's not a free ride, in fact it's the easiest, hardest thing we can do...
In His Love,
dill
:clap:

Upvote 0

timbrown

Mar 26, 2006
Illinois
Visit site
✟167.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
knownbeforetime said:
What God shuts no one can open. What he opens no one can close.

I believe that when we are saved, we are sealed and and the Bible says that nothing can separate us from the love of God.
I've always appreciated what John said in 1 John. "They went out from us because they were not of us..."

The genuineness of our faith is shown by continuance. Can we fail? Sure. But we will get back up again if our conversion is real.

Salvation is not "addition". Is is truly a conversion. It is a literal rebirth. While we may struggle with the flesh, we are also given a new set of desires that causes a conflict to exist between what we want and what we sometimes do. See Paul in Romans 7.

The issue regarding someone who professed Christ and then "fell away" is not "are they still saved" but "were they saved to begin with". I know this from my own life. For years I thought I was a believer. I piled up all manner of theological knowlege, etc. Then I "fell away" for almost 2 decades. And boy did I fall away. Then one day I realized how sinful I was, and came to a realization of my need for Christ. I finally "got it".

Funny, I know I wasn't a believer then but every one who knew me is "sure" I was. I beg to differ. I know the difference in my life!

The tension is that we can't see the condition of someone else's heart. Only God can see that. Saying words in a prayer or making a profession of faith doesn't save you (in and of itself). It is a transaction that no one can see. Paul said "The Lord knows who are His."

What we CAN do is look at fruit in someone's life. If you see the fruit of faith, then that is good evidence. If there is no fruit, that's not a good sign.

Profession does not equal POSESSION. Endurance through trials and fruit bearing is part of the evidence of saving faith.

Tim

Upvote 0

mightywarrior77

Intercessor For Jesus
Mar 24, 2006
Alabama
✟29,943.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JasmineJohnston said:
You can go back on the lord but he will never leave you or forsake you. He will be there waiting to catch you as you fall. He will lift you up safely with his loving arms. His love is unconditional.

Reactions: Just4Jesus
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.