1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can a Catholic Have a Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Michie

Michie Manipulation Resistance Team Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    We have our deacons and our religious directors, our priests and bishops and our cardinals … and our pope. We have confession, the Eucharist, penance, indulgences, litanies and prayers repetitively prayed to Christ’s mother. Yet, what of Christ? As our protestant brothers and sisters contend, has the Catholic Church inserted a bloated bureaucracy of man-made religious practices between Christ and his people?

In contradistinction, our Protestant brothers and sisters — especially evangelicals — speak of a personal relationship with Christ as the primary mark of the faith. There is no mountain of rituals populated by ecclesial bureaucrats. They speak of a certain sweet simplicity. It is just them and Jesus — together, without any need for ancient mediations or the authority of men. They just go to Jesus, and Jesus answers.
    We all know their mantra: “It’s a relationship, not a religion.”

Read more: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/dan-burke/can-a-catholic-have-a-personal-relationship-with-jesus#ixzz1cckpxsKe

2. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Well-Known Member

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Faith:
    Anglican
    My main experience of my faith outside my own home is in my own Church, with my own priest; he is the one I see day by day, week by week.

Because he represents Christ in so much of what he does, and so much of what he says, I would say he makes it far easier for me to have a personal relationship with the Lord. I can pray at home, encounter the Lord at home, hear from him at home, and then go to Church and hear Father telling me the exact same things. When that happens, I know that I need to pay attention.

Clearly there is a hierarchy above that, but it doesn't really concern me. As long as I accept my priest's authority, and know him to be under authority himself, then it's all good.

3. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Catholic
    We have a personal, ongoing relationship with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. The New Covenant is all about the need for Gods' indwelling-His communing with man- as an absolute essential to man's integrity and justice. Jesus provided the way.

4. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    The Catechism speaks of a relationship with the Lord.
    How He relates back to us, is of course is through His Church.

:hug: