Campaigners' fury as transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney wins Attitude magazine's Woman of the Year as critics accuse awards of 'gaslighting women

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gay lifestyle magazine Attitude is facing backlash after naming transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney as its 'Woman of the Year.'

The US TikTok star, who documented her transition on the video sharing platform last year, accepted the title this week at the Virgin Atlantic sponsored awards bash in London.

But critics slammed the decision, accusing the awards of 'gaslighting women everywhere' with prominent feminist campaigner Maya Forstater calling it an 'insult.'

In her acceptance speech Mulvaney said being honoured with the gong 'from a queer publication' 'means so much more to me.'

She said: 'Some see me as the woman of the year, some see me as the woman of a year and some change as I only publicly came out online 560 days ago - and some people don't see me as a woman at all.'

But speaking to MailOnline, Maya Forstater said: 'It is an insult to women. It is hard to imagine something more misogynist than to pronounce that no woman has achieved anything more significant this year through their work than a man putting on a dress and having cosmetic surgery.'

Continued below.