Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that they mainly disagree with each other because of, essentially, different approaches at how to appropriate Augustine's theology (OK...some of it anyway). which of course is largely why the matter is virtually unspoken of in Eastern theology. At least, not as it was in the West. Will most certainly was spoken of. A whole ecumenical council was devoted to it.

Certainly predestination in its Calvinist form is part of the heritage of Augustine. You can reasonably argue that Catholic theology is, as you say, a different way of appropriating other parts of Augustine. However Arminius wasn't a Catholic, and thus wasn't really part of an independent approach to Augustine. He was a Reformed teacher who thought Calvin, or at least Calvin's followers, had gone too far (i.e. had exceeded the Biblical evidence).

Calvin did a pretty good job at recapturing a Biblical perspective on many areas, particularly the atonement. (You need to use his actual views, not the rather misleading claims about what he taught.) Given the historical context I can see why he was attracted by predestination. I'm slowly coming to doubt the overall Augustinian vision. But within that tradition, I think Luther probably did a better job with predestination and related issues than Calvin did. His concern was that when you start trying to understand God's left hand (I'm tempted to say "the dark side of the Force") you can easily turn God into something demonic. He would diagnose later Calvinist theology, and to some extent Calvin himself, as having fallen into a "theology of glory."

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

Can somebody please pass the incense?
May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
#1) It's Arminianism, not Armenianism. Arminianism is a doctrine. Armenians are citizens of the republic of Armenia
:cool:

Actually, Armenianism also refers to the Armenian Orthodox Church. While not in full communion with the "Eastern Orthodox" churches, they're still extremely close in faith, piety and doctrine.

So given the choice between Calvinism and Armenianism, I'd go with the Armenians every time :p

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Certainly predestination in its Calvinist form is part of the heritage of Augustine. You can reasonably argue that Catholic theology is, as you say, a different way of appropriating other parts of Augustine. However Arminius wasn't a Catholic, and thus wasn't really part of an independent approach to Augustine. He was a Reformed teacher who thought Calvin, or at least Calvin's followers, had gone too far (i.e. had exceeded the Biblical evidence).

Calvin did a pretty good job at recapturing a Biblical perspective on many areas, particularly the atonement. (You need to use his actual views, not the rather misleading claims about what he taught.) Given the historical context I can see why he was attracted by predestination. I'm slowly coming to doubt the overall Augustinian vision. But within that tradition, I think Luther probably did a better job with predestination and related issues than Calvin did. His concern was that when you start trying to understand God's left hand (I'm tempted to say "the dark side of the Force") you can easily turn God into something demonic. He would diagnose later Calvinist theology, and to some extent Calvin himself, as having fallen into a "theology of glory."

I don't believe God has a dark side.

Upvote 0

Skala

I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him
Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have an honest question, not aimed at blasting anyone in particular.

So, let's say someone that is not predestined to accept Jesus as his savior begins reading the Bible, begins to pursue knowledge and wisdom, and eventually finds faith in Jesus Christ and accepts Him as Lord and savior, believing in His death and resurrection.

Is this possible? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but if we have free will how can God choose salvation for one person and not for another?

Simple, a nonpredestined person would never have a desire to accept Jesus or believe in him, and would never do so.

So what you described is impossible.

The only reason anyone at all actually does come to faith in Christ is because he/she was predestined.

There is no such thing a predestined person who never comes to faith, and there is no such thing as a non-predestined person to comes to faith.

It's not as if a person will come to faith in Christ and God will say "No!!! I reject you cuz you weren't predestined!!!" :p

The only reason anyone at all comes to faith is because God chose them to do so before time began.

Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ignatius and hendrick are both right. If the Bible were clear then there wouldn't be Calvinism and Arminianism. As I have said before I have cousin who attends a Presbyterian church and I attend a Methodist church. We view the acts of grace differently but BOTH agree in grace.

The Bible is clear, but there still remains human pride, that's why there's Arminianism.

Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ignatius and hendrick are both right. If the Bible were clear then there wouldn't be Calvinism and Arminianism. As I have said before I have cousin who attends a Presbyterian church and I attend a Methodist church. We view the acts of grace differently but BOTH agree in grace.

The Bible is clear, but there still remains human pride, that's why there's Arminianism.

"Nooo! I don't want to admit that hte reason I believe (and not my neighbor) is because God chose me! I want to say that I'm simply more moral and better than my unbelieving neighbor! I want a pat on the back for doing the right thing. I want some credit for my belief! I won't give God all the credit!!" <--Arminianism

Upvote 0

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Actually, Armenianism also refers to the Armenian Orthodox Church. While not in full communion with the "Eastern Orthodox" churches, they're still extremely close in faith, piety and doctrine.

So given the choice between Calvinism and Armenianism, I'd go with the Armenians every time :p

I'd rather stick with whatever more closely matches exegesis of the scriptures, than choose whichever matches your current denominational choice. That's sort of biased! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

"Nooo! I don't want to admit that hte reason I believe (and not my neighbor) is because God chose me! I want to say that I'm simply more moral and better than my unbelieving neighbor! I want a pat on the back for doing the right thing. I want some credit for my belief! I won't give God all the credit!!" <--Arminianism

Kindly find me one Arminian who has said this. Or one of anyone.

You're forcing their position into a logical end that you wish for it to reach. Same as they can (sometimes) force Calvinism into a logical end that equates to fatalism, attempting to disprove it by making it unpalatable.

Neither side claims glory that belongs to God. Both reach some terminal point at which it must be admitted that we're in the area of mystery as to how it's all possible. And each side tries to push the other past that point of mystery, while remaining comfortably within its own mystery.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How come Lutheranism always gets left out of this? It seems to me that they are almost never invited to the party...

Because they're still Catholics! ;)

KIDDING! I don't want to offend any Lutherans and end up with stuff carved into my table with the blade of a knife... :thumbsup:

The real answer is that Lutherans don't fit neatly into the mold that this particular forum insists is the only allowable playing field. But hey, neither do I. And neither do you, for that matter. But it's kind of fun to watch from a distance while we drink beer and burn incense.

Upvote 0

Ignatius21

May 21, 2009
Dayton, OH
✟22,008.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'd rather stick with whatever more closely matches exegesis of the scriptures, than choose whichever matches your current denominational choice. That's sort of biased! :)

Oh, but I am sticking to whatever most closely matches the exegesis of the scriptures! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skala

Mar 15, 2011
✟27,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Kindly find me one Arminian who has said this. Or one of anyone.

You're forcing their position into a logical end that you wish for it to reach. Same as they can (sometimes) force Calvinism into a logical end that equates to fatalism, attempting to disprove it by making it unpalatable.

Neither side claims glory that belongs to God. Both reach some terminal point at which it must be admitted that we're in the area of mystery as to how it's all possible. And each side tries to push the other past that point of mystery, while remaining comfortably within its own mystery.

Can you think of any other reason why a Christian wouldn't want to credit God's grace alone for the fact that he/she is a believer in Jesus Christ?

Calvinist: The reason I believe is because of grace
Arminian: The reason I believe is because of me

In Arminianism, what makes two people to differ is not God's grace, (for God gives everyone the same grace, the same chance, the same prevenient grace, etc), therefore what must make two people to ultimately differ is the people themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You don't even know if you'll make it to heaven. I don't see any reason to have confidence in anything you say. You need to repent and believe the Gospel.

Done. And you do not know if you are deluding yourself like the goats did in Matt 25 or not. You just think you know. They also thought they knew.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Can you think of any other reason why a Christian wouldn't want to credit God's grace alone for the fact that he/she is a believer in Jesus Christ?

Calvinist: The reason I believe is because of grace
Arminian: The reason I believe is because of me
Because Jesus said we could and should love others? I believe God gifted every human being with the ability to obey that command. I did not say God gifted every human being to love as perfectly and completely as God. The grace is not about my not being able to love my neighbor. The grace is about my not being able to love completely and perfectly like God.

Upvote 0
G

guuila

Because Jesus said we could and should love others? I believe God gifted every human being with the ability to obey that command. I did not say God gifted every human being to love as perfectly and completely as God. The grace is not about my not being able to love my neighbor. The grace is about my not being able to love completely and perfectly like God.

Do you love me Elman?

Upvote 0