Dayton OH
✟94,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope we can at least agree that this wall is a terrible thing, an afront to God nature and mankind, regardless of who is constructing it.
Have you read the book of Nehemiah? Seems God was okay with a wall.

• Agree
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟94,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know the difference between one and the other. I'm sure you know the difference too.
Do you lock the doors of your home at night? Better yet, do you live on the US border in Yuma AZ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Do you lock the doors of your home at night? Better yet, do you live on the US border in Yuma AZ?
I've lived all over the place, on both sides of the border. Yes I lock my doors at night.
How old are you son?
I would like to think that you understand the difference between a house door and a continent.

Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I hope we can at least agree that this wall is a terrible thing, an afront to God nature and mankind, regardless of who is constructing it.
I feel ya. However, we can not have a wellfare state (citezens pay for each crossing in tax) and open border, as these two things are NOT sustainable correct?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟369,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Actually, El Paso, which is afloat in illegal aliens, is one of the safest cities in America. For good reasons:

The vast majority of research finds that immigrants do not increase local crime rates and that they are less likely to cause crime and less likely to be incarcerated than their native‐born peers.3 There is less research on illegal immigrant criminality, but what research there is shows that illegal immigrants have lower incarceration rates nationwide and in the state of Texas relative to native‐born Americans, although they have the same rates of re‐arrest in Los Angeles County.4 Consistent with those findings, immigration enforcement programs targeting illegal immigrant criminals have no effect on local crime rates, which indicates that they are about as crime prone as other residents.5
https://www.cato.org/publications/i...immigrants-texas-illegal-immigrant#background

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟369,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I feel ya. However, we can not have a wellfare state (citezens pay for each crossing in tax) and open border, as these two things are NOT sustainable correct?

Actually, illegal aliens working in the U.S. tend to keep our welfare programs viable. In 2006:

DALLAS -- The Texan economy would have been almost $18 billion poorer in the last fiscal year without illegal immigrants who added to state coffers but were a drain on local government, says a report by the state comptroller.

The report - billed as the first detailed look by a state at the impact of undocumented immigrants on its budget - is likely to stir further debate on the emotional issue of illegal immigration in the United States.

The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that the United States had 11.1 million undocumented immigrants in 2005. Of these it said Texas accounted for between 1.4 million and 1.6 million.

Many Americans say illegal aliens - mostly from Mexico - take jobs from locals, depress wages and commit crimes. But many businesses say they fill a much needed gap in the labor market.

"The absence of the estimated 1.4 million undocumented immigrants in Texas in fiscal 2005 would have been a loss to our gross state product of $17.7 billion," said Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn.
https://www.newsmax.com/Pre-2008/Illegals-Add-$18-Billion/2006/12/08/id/685472/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
I think it's sustainable. Actually I'd be happy either way, no taxes and no welfare, or if we're going to get taxed, at least use it on welfare.
And yes, the border should be open. Just leave it the way God made it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FanthatSpark
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟369,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And yes, the border should be open. Just leave it the way God made it.

That's what the founders thought. They were more concerned with smuggling and loss of tariff revenue than people sneaking into the country to work. But then, as now, there was a worker shortage, and immigration was taking up the slack. As it is now.

Upvote 0

DaveISBA

Mar 1, 2020
Richmond
✟33,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
...they are less likely to cause crime
By your own observation, labeling them "illegal immigrant" you've admitted to their criminality! This data is from January 1, 2011, to November 15, 2017. There has been a huge influx of illegal aliens since then! 2021 had record numbers! A number of them trafficking Fentanyl and other illegal drugs! Fentanyl overdose deaths rising to 71,238 in 2021
...and less likely to be incarcerated than their native‐born peers.
What's the data on how many illegal aliens when arrested for a crime released with a court date disappear back into Mexico or where ever?
...they are about as crime prone as other residents.
How do you figure that? If they're here illegally they have committed a crime?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟369,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
By your own observation, labeling them "illegal immigrant" you've admitted to their criminality!

Actually, you're wrong. It's not a crime to be in the United States illegally. It's a civil offense, not a crime. Most illegal aliens come here legally, and overstay. That way, they don't commit a crime.

But we wanted to get to the bottom of whether undocumented immigrants were committing a crime by just being in the country.

According to legal experts, the answer is that most of the time, unlawful presence is not a crime.

When we checked with the Florida Conference of Catholic Bishops, Michele M. Taylor, the group’s associate director for communications, pointed to the 2012 Supreme Court case Arizona vs. United States. The majority opinion found that "as a general rule, it is not a crime for a removable alien to remain present in the United States."

Experts agreed. Unlawful presence is neither a felony nor a misdemeanor, said Ilya Shapiro, a senior fellow in constitutional studies at the libertarian Cato Institute. It is a civil infraction that results in removal and a bar on re-entry for a certain period of time.
PolitiFact - Is being in the United States unlawfully a 'crime'?

There has been a huge influx of illegal aliens since then!

As the economy recovers from the Trump pandemic, more jobs open up, so people come in to meet the demand. If we do go into a recession, illegal immigration will fall as it always does. But given the last economic report, employment is rapidly rising, so probably not. As you just learned, the U.S. economy makes a lot of money off illegal aliens working here.

A number of them trafficking Fentanyl and other illegal drugs!

As you also learned, illegal aliens tend to be more law-abiding than native-born Americans, so ironically, the more of them here, the lower the crime rate. It's why El Paso, with one of the largest illegal immigrant populations, is also one of the safest American cities.

The El Paso Sector has seen a significant increase in the number of single adults crossing the border illegally in Fiscal Year 2021. In comparison to the Family Unit Crisis of Fiscal Year 2019, there has been an increase of 261 percent for single adult encounters in Fiscal Year 2021 year to date. As of the end of May 2021, the El Paso Sector has encountered 86,536 illegal aliens.
El Paso Hit Hard by the Illegal Alien Invasion

How safe is El Paso, TX?
The metropolitan area's violent crime rate was lower than the national rate in 2020. Its rate of property crime was lower than the national rate.
https://realestate.usnews.com/places/texas/el-paso/crime

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaveISBA

Mar 1, 2020
Richmond
✟33,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Actually, you're wrong. It's not a crime to be in the United States illegally. It's a civil offense, not a crime.
"The confusion lies in the legal difference between improper entry and unlawful presence. Here's what you need to know:"
"Improper Entry Is a Crime To be clear, the most common crime associated with illegal immigration is likely improper entry. Under federal criminal law, it is misdemeanor for an alien (i.e., a non-citizen) to:
Enter or attempt to enter the United States at any time or place other than designated by immigration officers;
Elude examination or inspection by immigration officers; or
Attempt to enter or obtain entry to the United States by willfully concealing, falsifying, or misrepresenting material facts." Is Illegal Immigration a Crime? Improper Entry v. Unlawful Presence - FindLaw
...the U.S. economy makes a lot of money off illegal aliens working here.
Then why are the mayors of DC and NY City sounding the alarm over the number of immigrants released by Border Patrol who have made their way to America’s biggest cities and are now overwhelming city services. When they should be leaping for joy at the prospect of making a lot of money off of them?
...El Paso, with one of the largest illegal immigrant populations, is also one of the safest American cities.
I lived in Compton CA and apparently CA doesn't bother to keep track of the numbers of illegals but Hispanics make up 64% of the population in Compton, Many I'm sure are illegals, Compton is rated the most dangerous place to live in all of the surrounding area of Southern CA!
Most illegal aliens come here legally, and overstay. That way, they don't commit a crime.
US "Border officials made a record 1.9 million arrests along the southern border in 2021, new data reveals." and those are only the ones they caught! US made record 1.9 million migrant arrests in 2021 (nypost.com)

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟369,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually, you're wrong. It's not a crime to be in the United States illegally. It's a civil offense, not a crime.

"Improper Entry Is a Crime To be clear, the most common crime associated with illegal immigration is likely improper entry. Under federal criminal law, it is misdemeanor for an alien (i.e., a non-citizen) to:
Enter or attempt to enter the United States at any time or place other than designated by immigration officers;

Yep. Which is why most of them enter legally and then just overstay their visit. So no crime then. And the benefits to the U.S. from these workers goes beyond their contribution to U.S. GDP:

Thus, our projections suggest that the presence of unauthorized workers in the United States has, on average, a positive effect on the financial status of the Social Security program. For the year 2010,1 we estimate that the excess of tax revenue paid to the Trust Funds over benefits paid from these funds based on earnings of unauthorized workers is about $12 billion.
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/NOTES/pdf_notes/note151.pdf

If you get social security, illegal aliens are subsidizing you.

As you also learned, illegal aliens tend to be more law-abiding than native-born Americans, so ironically, the more of them here, the lower the crime rate. It's why El Paso, with one of the largest illegal immigrant populations, is also one of the safest American cities.

The El Paso Sector has seen a significant increase in the number of single adults crossing the border illegally in Fiscal Year 2021. In comparison to the Family Unit Crisis of Fiscal Year 2019, there has been an increase of 261 percent for single adult encounters in Fiscal Year 2021 year to date. As of the end of May 2021, the El Paso Sector has encountered 86,536 illegal aliens.
El Paso Hit Hard by the Illegal Alien Invasion

How safe is El Paso, TX?
The metropolitan area's violent crime rate was lower than the national rate in 2020. Its rate of property crime was lower than the national rate.
https://realestate.usnews.com/places/texas/el-paso/crime

I lived in Compton CA and apparently CA doesn't bother to keep track of the numbers of illegals

Too bad. We might have been able to see if there's a difference in Compton. But since we have no way of telling who is doing the crime, you're just letting your imagination fill in for facts.

Most illegal aliens come here legally, and overstay. That way, they don't commit a crime.

US "Border officials made a record 1.9 million arrests along the southern border in 2021, new data reveals."

That's not where most of them come in. In fact, you're already missing the facts...

Illegal immigration from Asia has surged over the last decade or so, partially making up for an even bigger drop in the illegal immigrant population from Mexico, the Migration Policy Institute said Thursday.
Illegal immigration from Asia rises while Mexican population falls

Upvote 0