British accents: I love them (except one)

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've been a fan of British accents all my life. England and the other "British Isles." And I've always heard that there are a variety of different ones (like the US has a variety of accents). Lately I've been hearing that differentiation a lot more.

But there is one that I honestly can't stand. Maybe one of you British cats (Becksy, Welshman, etc) can help me identify it. I would call it aristocratic/uppercrust or something. I heard a guy on NPR radio a few weeks ago, and he had this accent to an excrutiating degree. It was almost like a parody. (Think of the fake-crippled professor/pizza guy in There's Something About Mary). Or perhaps, something like the TV character Hyacinth (Keeping Up Appearances) might use. I really couldn't stand it when I heard it from a real person, with no irony. (Sorry). So, does anyone know what I'm talking about.

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I have the stereotypical 'posh' English accent you refer to. It's a well-known fact that Queen's English effectively raises the perceived IQ of its bearer by up to 25 percent.

Lol. That's cool, really. I wanted to add... I am positive that the accent itself is fine. I suspect that it was really just this one guy I heard on the radio who bothered me. I've never heard anyone else exactly like him. So maybe this was just a one-time occurance, rather than an entire region.

Upvote 0

RockstarDame

Princess
Oct 5, 2009
St. Louis Missouri
Visit site
✟15,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I have the stereotypical 'posh' English accent you refer to. It's a well-known fact that Queen's English effectively raises the perceived IQ of its bearer by up to 25 percent.
English accents *melts*

Upvote 0

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm guessing you mean the kid of drawling, plum-in-mouth accent? It can sound pretty condescending in my opinion, I don't really like it either. I met some people at uni with a similar accent and a few of them were pretty snobbish and just not very nice so that put me off. Although it's hilarious when you watch films or tv progs even from as recently as the 70s and everyone speaks in this totally artificial accent.

Mind you some of our regional accents are pretty choice too! :p

Upvote 0

ChooseTheRight

Jan 11, 2008
✟15,603.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also think it was probably the person that was annoying, rather than the accent. One accent I can't stand though is the Scottish posh accent. Its a mix of Scottish and American. It sounds so put on. Just so un-natural. I'm Scottish and I try to speak politely, But I still sound fully Scottish.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It amazes me about the British Isles how many different identities and accents you find on one small Island.

You can find almost as many different British accents as you can different American accents. And look how much geographically larger we are.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm guessing you mean the kid of drawling, plum-in-mouth accent? It can sound pretty condescending in my opinion, I don't really like it either.

No, but I can imagine the one you are talking about. This one sounded fake, but the guy really was British. He was very talkative and enthusiastic.

The best example is the fake professor from "There's Something About Mary", but I can't find a clip of that. (Actor pic below)

2995157_std.jpg

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marlowe007

Veteran
Dec 8, 2008
✟23,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's a common form of dialect here known as 'Chavish,' which goes something like this:

Alri-mate, my mate 'ere has a bit of galloping knob-rot, and I'm feeling lairy, innit, and thing. Giv' us ur phone, giv us ur wallet you lanky streak of [wash my mouth]. Scally speak innit, be savvy to it, ENGER-LAND!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know this got me interested and based on Wikipedia's list of words that arn't commonly used and or have different meanings its amazing we don't have more problems communicating.

Although I think some of the meanings and usage have crossed the pond.

For example the term "bloody" as a sort of mild curse word has entered my regular vocabulary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_words_having_different_meanings_in_British_and_American_English:_A%E2%80%93L

List of words having different meanings in British and American English: M?Z - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of American words not widely used in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of British words not widely used in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

ceh85

You shattered my darkness,washed away my blindness
Mar 25, 2009
✟15,945.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this the kind you are talking about? The actor playing Hannibal Lecter (Brian Cox).

(It's different than the one I've described.)

YouTube - Manhunter - Graham Verses Lector

Yeah I guess that is probably the modern version of the 50s/60s accent! I found this clip featuring some really posh accents which is pretty funny:

YouTube - Murder at the Gallop (1963) trailer

I've never seen TSAM so I don't know what that actor sounded like. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a ridiculous accent though, Hollywood seems to require that English actors are a) the bad guy and b) worthy of ridicule!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lostaquarium

Quite flawed
Dec 23, 2008
London
✟20,072.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love the way some old-fashioned English people speak! I was taught by a professor who spoke like Brian Sewell and looked like Basil Fawlty ^_^ He was brilliant. But I couldn't concentrate on his lecture content because he was too comical. He took himself very seriously, of course.

Upvote 0

Oddish

May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD.
Jun 20, 2009
✟31,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Rad, you are referring to the what we call the Queen's English. I am sure that in American TV shows, the novelty British person always has that posh accent. I actually have it to a certain degree, it isn't strong but it is there.

The most unpopular here are Brummy (Birmingham)and Scouse (Liverpool) accents.

There's a common form of dialect here known as 'Chavish,' which goes something like this:

Alri-mate, my mate 'ere has a bit of galloping knob-rot, and I'm feeling lairy, innit, and thing. Giv' us ur phone, giv us ur wallet you lanky streak of [wash my mouth]. Scally speak innit, be savvy to it, ENGER-LAND!

Yep :doh:. A lot of people down here talk like that, but we call them Janners.

Upvote 0