Bringing back the draft?

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Senior officials in the military have been complaining that their forces are spread too thin, and one of the offshoots of this is talk about bringing back the draft. While the term "draft" or "conscription" won't likely be used by either Bush or any of the Democrats on the campaign trail, the stakes for an incumbent, during their second term, are vastly different.

'As most point out, however, any mention of conscription would be ill-advised before the 2004 election. "A number of analysts said yesterday that while any public suggestion of a draft would be politically suicidal for U.S. President George W. Bush in an election year, he could find himself with few other options if he is returned for a second term and the fighting in Iraq is still raging," the Toronto Star recently reported. "I don't think a presidential candidate would seriously propose a draft," the Cato Institute's Charles Pena added. "But an incumbent, safely in for a second term -- that might be a different story."'

http://www.veteransforpeace.org/Would_a_second_11103.htm

Is a vote for Bush in 2004 a vote for conscription?

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Splendid idea, IMHO.

I personally think that every American kid---male and female---should spend a mandatory four-year hitch in the armed forces before they're allowed to attend college, but that's just me.

If nothing else, the military would instill maturity and discipline, two traits sorely lacking in most college freshmen.

I hope they do it. I'd back it, 1000%.

Upvote 0

antigoat

Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,839.00
Faith
Wolseley said:
Splendid idea, IMHO.

I personally think that every American kid---male and female---should spend a mandatory four-year hitch in the armed forces before they're allowed to attend college, but that's just me.

If nothing else, the military would instill maturity and discipline, two traits sorely lacking in most college freshmen.

I hope they do it. I'd back it, 1000%.
This is just a stab in the dark, but you're not a male aged 18-26, or have any male children aged 18-26 do you? Funny how gung ho about the military and wars people who are in no danger of dying in them are.

There's a passage in Catch-22 I really like concerning this- I don't have it on hand right now, but it referrs to a Colonel who finds war really exciting since he is in no danger of having to go there.

I don't think any president, who was of age during a war and didn't fight, should have any authority to force others to go to war against their will.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
antigoat said:
This is just a stab in the dark, but you're not a male aged 18-26
No, I'm afraid I'm not. However, from age 18 to age 23, I was active-duty military, and I was active Reserve until age 27.

So I did my time. I only regret that I wasn't smart enough to stay in for 25 years.

or have any male children aged 18-26 do you?
My oldest is two. When he gets to be of age, depending on our situation by then, I will strongly encourage him to enlist.

Funny how gung ho about the military and wars people who are in no danger of dying in them are.
Only idiots and fools are gung-ho about war.

I don't think any president, who was of age during a war and didn't fight, should have any authority to force others to go to war against their will.
Well, I guess that takes care of Roosevelt, then. We should have let the Germans and the Japanese have their way.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's always been my thought that a draft is against what democracy stands for. Sure, we might not have enough people to defend the country without a draft if no one wants to fight, but if people do not want to defend the country, should we force them? It seems to me that if people can not be roused to defend the country based on their free will, the country probably isn't worth defending. Besides, a draft would be against the will of the nation. If there was a shortage of food would we force people to become farmers?

And a draft that's not for purely defensive purposes is even worse. Sacrificing our freedoms to preserve the future of our nation might be acceptable to some (though not to me), but sacrificing them to support whatever global agenda the US decides to pursue is insanity.

Upvote 0

draper

Perspicacious Poster
Jul 5, 2003
Toronto, Canada
✟20,634.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
CA-Others
Hmmm.

I don't know about the draft. I think its wrong someone is just taken and thrust into a situation where machine guns are going off and people are killed like ants at a picnic...

But if it were a situation like WW2 then yes a draft might be nessecary.

Upvote 0

DianeCourt

My Dog Wants Steak
Nov 10, 2003
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟8,677.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Democrat
Unless the circumstances are absolutely DIRE I do not support the idea of a draft. If you believe that you and your children need the military to become disciplined, then by all means, enlist and encourage them to enlist. But to force all citizens of proper age to enlist.......

Volunteers make the best armies, anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
antigoat said:
This is just a stab in the dark, but you're not a male aged 18-26, or have any male children aged 18-26 do you? Funny how gung ho about the military and wars people who are in no danger of dying in them are.

There's a passage in Catch-22 I really like concerning this- I don't have it on hand right now, but it referrs to a Colonel who finds war really exciting since he is in no danger of having to go there.

I have 3 kids that age - I think it would do them all some good. I think a full time draft is a great idea. Maybe not 4 years, but at least 2. M

Upvote 0

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
Lawton Oklahoma, Officer Career Course
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We will never bring back the draft, our forces aren't too spread out, their are just a number of them, that joined the Reserve or the Guard for the college money or whatever and are complaining to high heaven now that we are at war. But we are very capable of fighting a two front war right now.

Upvote 0

the_malevolent_milk_man

Jul 27, 2003
Apopka, Florida
✟4,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Unless aliens attack or we have forigen troops attacking American soil then I'd flat out refuse millitary service. Mandatory service would merely waste 2-4 years of my life that are better spent elsewhere.

My father and alot of his friends were drafted for Vietnam, says it's the worst thing that ever happened to him. Aside from taking a bullet he lost many good friends. Needless to say it's left him rather cynical.

Reactions: Phileo
Upvote 0

antigoat

Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,839.00
Faith
I said: [paraphrase] I don't think a president who was of age during a war, and didn't fight, should be able to send others unwillingly to fight in a war.

Wolseley said:
Well, I guess that takes care of Roosevelt, then. We should have let the Germans and the Japanese have their way.
FDR was born in 1882, making him 18 years old in 1900 and 26 years old in 1908. So, I guess depending on what, well, I meant by 'of age' he would have been too old for WWI and to young for the Spanish-American War. Unless there is a war I'm not not remembering in that time period, what I said does not condemn FDR sending troops to fight in WWII.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

antigoat

Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
✟7,839.00
Faith
alonesoldier said:
Yes, the military is far better off without people who don't want to be there. In fact the guys who want to be there are far safer with other men at their left and right who are professionals.
I'd agree with this. Alonesoldier, you're probably twice the soldier I would ever be. I have to admit I would probably make a pretty crappy soldier.

MIchaelJLF --That's your opinion, and does make it somewhat more valid than a lot of other people who fit the description I gave. I think there's what, 1 senator right now with a kid in the military or in Iraq or something?(someone correct me, I might be wrong on this, or a Congressman?) Either way, I usually figure you say a lot of the things you do merely to be antagonistic, but I could be wrong.

Upvote 0

ummidrinkcherrycoke

cool like fonzie
Oct 12, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that a mandatory two years could do a lot of good. It would instill a sense of Pride and honor, Self-discipline, Physical fitness, a sense of duty and purpose....ect. Into a generation that is lacking all these things. I Personally wouldnt want to do it. But I'm one of the few that already have all these qualities.;)

I don't believe in a draft especially in a war like Iraq. If the war had something to do with us maybe a draft would be nessecary. But until some weapons of mass destruction appear I'll have a hard time believing Iraq was our problem. I'm glad Saddam is out of power and that Iraq has been liberated but it's not an issue that we should force our countrymen to fight for.

Personally if I believed in the cause I would enlist and I believe that a lot of other people would as well. As a country I think that what we need to do is stop selling our teenagers a false life of "being all you can be" and start informing them of the issue's they'll be fighting for as a soldier.

I think that Americans today are tired of fighting wars they don't believe in. And thats why the idea of a draft doesnt sound so good to some.

Upvote 0

the_malevolent_milk_man

Jul 27, 2003
Apopka, Florida
✟4,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There's no denying I'd make a crappy soldier, I couldn't bring myself to kill somebody simply because I was ordered to. That and I would forever be doing push ups for being sarcastic towards officers when they ask me to do a pointless task. However it should be noted that I'm a terror on a paintball field, whatever that's worth.

Aside from putting people like me who simply refuse to fight strangers and would do nothing more than frustrate the officers on the front lines there would be another problem. The idea of some of the people I know being given a gun and told to fight scares the heck out of me. I wouldn't trust half the people I went to school with with a plastic spoon, much less a high powered rifle or tank.

If there was a draft I would most likely not be put in a fighting unit. I'd probabbly be repairing electronics or being forced to make a death ray. Even then I'd protest, the idea that I'm putting the weapons in people's hands would keep me awake at night.

Upvote 0

ummidrinkcherrycoke

cool like fonzie
Oct 12, 2003
Seattle
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Blemonds said:
Foreign troops did attack our soil, or didn't you notice.
I'm kind of getting tired of people confusing Saddam with Bin Laden. Bin Laden was the one that attacked us and he's still running free.

Upvote 0