Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on Brian Mclarens' work and his ideas about the future of Christianity and the Church.

I've not read Mclaren. I did read a book called the Tangible Kingdom, which contained a back of the book endorsement by Mclaren. So, my guess is that his books would have similar ideas.

The Tangible Kingdom has some good ideas and some not so good. On the plus side, it promotes the idea of really ministering to people at a ground level as it were by getting beyond the confines of a traditional church building. It promotes the idea of small group Bible study, social work, and outreach to those in need.

On the down side, it de-emphasizes Christian doctrine and tradition, and promotes an anti-intellectualism. The authors speculate that Christianity might be better off with the just having the four Gospels, not the rest of the New Testament. Rather than the faith once and for all delivered to the saints, Christian creedal statements are seen as relative. And the authors discourage reading along the lines that Christians should be busy helping others. One of the book's authors also makes a point of saying how he only puts in two hours to prepare a sermon, as if more time would be wasted.

So, all in all, I would tread carefully in reading these types of ideas. Have your filter handy.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,149,208.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
On the down side, it de-emphasizes Christian doctrine and tradition, and promotes an anti-intellectualism.

I'm not sure I'd say McLaren deemphasizes doctrine and tradition. He just doesn't see them as unchangeable or perfect, and realizes their limitations.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure I'd say McLaren deemphasizes doctrine and tradition. He just doesn't see them as unchangeable or perfect, and realizes their limitations.

I've not read him firsthand; I've just read a book (mentioned above) that he endorsed. Might be good to read him firsthand just to know what's out there.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I've read a fair bit of McLaren's work and hope to read more. Though he's considerably more liberal than I am both theologically and politically, he's one of a select few Christian writers I consider major influences on my thinking and my faith. Why? Because he asks the right questions and encourages the reader to think them through. I don't always come to the same conclusions he does. But I'm always better for thinking about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mick116

Jul 14, 2004
✟8,869.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Brian McLaren has been extremely influential on my theological outlook, and I have appreciated each of his books that I've read so far.

I can certainly relate to his faith journey, with roots in the Christian brethren assemblies, journey toward broader evangelicalism (in his case charismatic), his discovery of more traditional forms of Christianity and finally a decidedly progressive leaning.

Upvote 0