alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
BREAD AND WINE

This month, April 22nd, Passover will be celebrated. Because Jewish lunar calendar overlaps our solar calendar about two and a half months, so the date of Passover fell on that date.

Some churches celebrate Passover every month, some every third month, some ones a year and some do not celebrate at all.

I noticed in some churches that they substitute wine for juice, and I found such practice absolutely unacceptable. Because of it I stop completely participating in church’s Passover, but I celebrate it at home, with wine and with unleavened bread as it was done in the Old Testament and in the New Testament as well.

I also heard on the radio some preacher preached that it was not wine served during Passover meal but it was juice, and such comment I found absolutely ridiculous.

As far as I know, all languages of the world have two distinct words for wine and for juice, and there is no way that these words can be exchanged or substitute for one another. This means that in whichever passage Bible said wine, it certainly means wine and nothing else.

Jews, and almost all the nations of the world in ancient time drank wine at every meal they have. Not water, not juice, or anything else for that matter, but only wine. And such practice still exists today in many countries of the world.

Jesus Christ Himself drank wine as any other Jew in His time, and He even symbolized wine with His Own Blood, and even more than that, He also said to His disciples that He will drink a new wine in the Kingdom of His Father. (Matthew 26.29) (Mark 14.25) (Luke 22.18)

And beside these statements He often mentioned wine in many of His parables, and even compared Israel to a vineyard number of times, just like His Father did.

Jesus Christ portrayed wine as a drink worthy of kings, as substance that gives pleasure, as a drink worthy of hard labor and money spent.

Certain negative aspects of wine also have been described in the Bible, when the abuse and improper consumption of it leads to drunkenness, violence, addiction, and poverty, which is can be the case and absolute truth almost for everything else what we consume, eat, and drink.

So wine, like anything else in this world, can be harmful or beneficial, it all depends of how we using it.

I am sure and have no doubt, what those who using juice and not wine during their Passover ritual defiled the LORD’S Passover and His solemn and holy ritual.

Apostle Paul explored this issue to its bottom, and explained how Passover shall be conducted and celebrated.

1Corinthians 11.23-30

23.I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread,

24.and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My Body, which is for you, do this in remembrance of Me." (Matthew 26.26) (Mark 14.22) (Luke 22.19)

25.In the same way He took the cup also after supper saying, "This cup is the New Covenant in My Blood, do this as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." (Matthew 26.27-28) (Mark 14.23-24) (Luke 22.20)

26.As often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death, until He comes.

27.Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the Body and the Blood of the Lord.

28.But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup.

29.He who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge (examines himself to be worthy in participation of Passover) the Body (of Christ, His Flesh and His Blood) rightly.

30.For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep. ("sleep" - KSB, Gideons, "and a number died" - NRSV, GNB, Russian)

Let examine what the Paul said in the verses 27, 29, and 30.

Verse 27. Unworthy manner, what it supposed to mean? It means, whoever did not repent for his/her sins before Passover, who own to someone and do not yet repaid back, who in feud with someone and did not make peace, who offend someone and did not apologize, and so on, such person participating unworthy in Passover and incurs gilt on himself against Christ and His Blood.

Also, those who changed the ritual as they pleased and altered its order, or change anything in it, also conducting it in unworthy manner and become guilty against Christ and His Blood. This means all those who substitute wine of Passover for juice.

Verse 29. This verse means that those who do not examine and check themselves carefully before participating in Passover, and as mentioned above did not make themselves “clean” before the Lord by settling all the debts, feuds, differences, disputes, and quarrels, and did not repented before the Lord and ask for forgiveness of sins before “eating” His Body and “drinking” His Blood, surely they are all unworthy of the Passover of Christ.

Included of course and those who participating in the alternative and improper Passover drinking juice and not wine, they are also heavily guilty against Christ and His Blood, and certainly will bear the consequences of it.

Verse 30. This verse does not need any explanation, because it is straight forward statement, and revealed the consequences of unworthy participation and conduct of Passover, which means that the people may get sick, get themselves in all sorts of troubles, and even die because of it.

I remember one church I used to go long time ago in San Francisco. When the church conducted Passover, every time before the beginning of the ritual, pastor red this statement of Paul, 1Corithians 11.23-30.

This is the most powerful statement ever recorded in the Bible concerning Passover ritual. And every time it was red, it always has a certain impact on all who was present in the church at that time, and on me as well.

And some of us, included me, sometimes did not participated in it, if our own conscience told us that we are not completely “clean” before the Lord, or have something that would make our participation unworthy of the ritual, and some of us, withhold our participation in it for that particular time.

Because Christ said to celebrate Passover in memory of Him, so Passover can be performed at any time. But because Christ always observed Passover in its appropriate time according to the Law of Moses, it is essential to conduct Passover on this particular date as a special Passover Day.

Christ replaced Passover lamb of exodus with Himself, because now He became the Lamb of a new salvation. And just like Passover lamb of exodus saved souls of the Jews who marked their door posts by its blood, and so Jesus Christ saves those people who marked the door posts of their hearts by the Blood of Christ.

And just like Passover lamb of exodus symbolized the beginning of the exodus to a promised land, and so the Blood of Christ symbolizes a new exodus to a Kingdom of GOD.

IT IS NOT A SIN NOT TO PARTICIPATE IN PASSOVER, THE SIN IS WHEN PARTICIPATION IS UNWORTHY OF THE RITUAL.

The Bread and the Blood of Christ.

John 6.33-35.48.51-54

33.”The bread of GOD is that which comes down from Heaven and gives life to the world.”

34.They said to Him, “Sir, give us this bread always.”

35.Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life.Whoever comes to Me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in Me will never be thirsty.

48.I am the bread of life.

51.I am the living bread that came down from Heaven. Whoever eat of this bread will live forever, and the bread that I will give for the life of the world, is My flesh.”

52.The Jews then disputed among themselves saying, “How can this man give us His flesh to eat?”

53.So Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink His blood, you have no life in you.

54.Those who eat My flesh and drink My blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day,

58.This is the bread that came down from Heaven, not like that which your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live forever.”

59.He said these things while He was teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum.

Why Christ compared His Body to bread?

He compared His physical body to bread because while He was in the body He conducted life’s saving teachings, healings, and even resurrections from the dead. And even in the physical mortal body He managed to reveal the glory of GOD, preached Gospel, and saved numerous souls.

Despite the all odds, He had also suffered in it, because He experienced it imperfections, weakness, and mortality of it, and finally the agony of violent death.

This means what anyone who conducts himself as Jesus Christ in His Body, such person embodies himself in Christ Body doing the same things as Christ did.

Eat His Body-Bread means to do the same things as He had done, imitate Him, and mirroring Him, reflecting Him, and copied Him in all His works that He had done on Earth.

Why Christ compared His Blood to wine?

Because the soul of every living creature in its blood. Our soul which is a part of GOD’S Spirit has intelligence, conscience, and mind, all are essential for our meaningful life and creativity. We are created in the intellectual image of GOD, not in His physical image that could be anything.

Drinking the Blood of Christ means drinking His Soul which is in His Blood, and by doing this we become just like Christ Himself in His personality, character, nature, and quality. Another word, we replacing our personality of our soul with His personality of His Soul, and become just like Him, new spiritual creatures, pleasing and acceptable by GOD.

And no wonder that alcohol in general often called as spirits, because it contain something that change our mood and has effect on our personality and behavior, but in case with Passover wine, the spirit of wine represents positive thing, symbolically compared to the Blood of Christ, which has same positive effect on those who imitate Christ (drinking Blood of Christ) and become just like Him in His character and personality.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not really an issue but if it is for you then do it at home.
Passover meal was tradtionally celebrated in homes anyway not in large churches. I find that when churches attempt a seder it goes on for way too long. This wasnt in a baptist church though.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In biblical times wine was fermented to the maximum of 16%. At that concentration the alcohol actually kills the yeast. This was called strong drink. However the wine was cut with water to bring down the alcohol content to 5 to 8%. Grape juice would only be available a few weeks a year during harvest season. Beyond that time the wild yeasts would already be turning the juice into wine. Distillation of alcohol was not known until about the twelfth century.

Historians and archaeologists suggest that beer was more widely drunk than wine in the ancient mid-east. For the ordinary Jew wine would only be drunk on holy days and family celebrations because of the expense.

Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
The fact of the matter is that the Bible specifically mentions that it was grape juice, "fruit of the vine", not wine, since they have a separate word for wine. The whole point of the passover was that they had to get rid of all the yeast. a picture of Christ's sinless nature since yeast is likened to sin, since a small sin makes the whole a sinner, like a small amount of yeast affects the whole dough.

Upvote 0

alex2165

Jan 2, 2014
✟11,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
PASSOVER WINE

Because “fruit of vine” can be interpreted both ways, as juice and as wine in English and in Greek, let take a look how wine and juice are presented in the Bible.

I found so many verses mentioned wine in the Bible, in good sense, that it is really impossible to show them all here, but I took very few of them in order to show you how Bible magnified the significance of wine as a very important part of our life, and in the worship of the Lord, and as the Blood of Christ.

Genesis 14.18

18.And Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine, now he was a priest of GOD Most High.

Did Melchizedek meet Abraham with juice? Do you see comparison here between bread and wine of Melchizedek and the Body-Bread and the Blood-Wine of Jesus Christ?

Prophesy of Jacob about Judah and Jesus Christ.

Genesis 49.10-12

10.The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, until Shiloh (Messiah - Jesus Christ) comes, and to Him shall be the obedience of the peoples (Numbers 24.17).

11.He ties his foal to the vine, and his donkey's colt to the choice vine. He washes his garmentsin wine, and his robes in the blood of grapes (notice here in this sentence that the blood of grapes compared to wine.)

12.His eyes are dull from wine, and his teeth white from milk.

Blood of grapes means wine.

Deuteronomy 32.14

14.Curds of cows and milk of the flock, with fat of lambs and rams, the breed of Bashan, and goats, with the finest of the wheat, and of the blood of grapes you drank wine.

So these verses clearly indicate that the wine symbolically can be called as the blood of grapes and the blood of grapes as wine.

Instructions for the Atonement for the Altar and offerings to the Lord.

Exodus 29.40

40.”and there shall be one-tenth of an ephah of fine flour mixed with one-forth of a hin of beaten oil, and one-forth of a hin of wine for a libation with one lamb.”

Numbers 18.12.27

12.All the best of the fresh oil, and all the best of the fresh wine, and all the grain, the first fruits of those which they give to the Lord, I give them to you (to Levites as their portion from the offerings to the Lord).

27.And your offering shall be reckoned to you as the grain from the threshing floor, or the full produce from the wine vat.

Numbers 15.5.7

5.and you shall prepare wine for the libation, one-forth of a hin with the Burnt Offering, or for the sacrifice for each lamb.

7.and for the libation you shall offer one-third of a hin of wine as a soothing aroma to the Lord.

10.and you shall offer as the libation one-half a hin of wine as an offering by fire, as a soothing aroma to the Lord.

Numbers 28.14

14.And their libation shall be half a hin of wine for a bull and a third of a hin for the ram and a forth of a hin for a lamb, this is the Burnt Offering of each month throughout the months of the year.

Can you recall any statute or action in the Bible when the grape juice has been offered to the Lord? Do you notice here that the wine also has been presented with the sacrificial lamb?

When Jesus Christ was crucified, someone gave Him “a sponge filled with sour wine,” (Matthew 27.48) (John 19.29-30), its means that Jesus as a sacrificial Lamb has been presented with wine to the Lord GOD as the Law of Moses specified and required. Even at His death He had managed to fulfill entire Law of Moses, and the wine played important part in it.

Wine as a part of tithes.

2Chronicles 31.5

5.And as soon as the order spread, the sons of Israel provided in abundance the first fruits of grain, new wine, oil, honey, and of all the produce of the field, and they brought in abundantly the tithe of all.

Nehemiah 13.5.12

5.had prepared a large room for him, where formerly they put the grain offerings, the frankincense, the utensils, and the tithes of grain, wine and oil, prescribed for Levites, the singers, and the gatekeepers, and the contributions for the priests.

12.All Judah then brought the tithe of the grain, wine, and oil, into the storehouses.

Deuteronomy 14.23

23.And you shall eat in the presence of the Lord your GOD, at the place where He chooses to establish His name, the tithe of your grain, your new wine, your oil, and the first-born of your herd and your flock, in order that you may learn to fear the Lord your GOD always.

Can you recall a passage in the Bible where the juice also has been offered as the tithe to the Lord?

Wine change mood and provide gladness and happiness.

Psalm 104.15

15.and wine which makes man's heart glad, so that he may make his face glisten with oil, and food which sustains man's heart.

Proverbs 31.6-7

6.Give strong drink to one who is perishing, and wine to those in bitter distress,

7.let them drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.

Ecclesiastes 9.7

7.Go then, eat your bread in happiness, and drink your wine with a cheerful heart, GOD has already approved your works.

Ecclesiastes 10.19

19.Feasts are made for laughter, wine gladdens life, and money meets every need.

Does the grape juice will change your mood for the better in your sadness or distress, or make you glad and happy at the celebration?

Wine as a part of the blessing

Proverbs 3.9-10

9.Honor the Lord from your wealth and from the first of all your produce,

10.so your barns will be filled with plenty and your vats will overflow with new wine.

Deuteronomy 7.13

13.And He will love you and bless you and multiply you, He will also bless the fruit of your womb, and the fruit of your ground, your grain and your new wine, and your oil, the increase of your herd, and the young of your flock, in the land which He swore to your forefathers to give you.

Did GOD ever bless juice? Or gave any significance to it?

Prophesy about future of Israel.

Isaiah 25.6

6.And the Lord of hosts will prepare a lavish banquet for all peoples on this mountain (Mt. Zion), a banquet of aged wine, choice pieces with marrow, and refined aged wine.

During the wedding at Cana to what substance Jesus turned water, to juice or to wine? See John 2.1-10

The juice as such only mentioned in two places of the Bible, in the Law for Nazarite, and in the Songs of Solomon.

Numbers 6.3

3.he shall abstain from wine and strong drink, he shall drink no vinegar whether made from wine or strong drink, neither shall he drink any grape juice nor eat fresh or dried grapes.

Songs of Solomon 8.2

2.I would lead you and bring you into the house of my mother, who used to instruct me, I would give you spiced wine to drink from the juice of my pomegranates.

So how after all of these Blood of Christ can be compared to worthless juice? It does not make any sense to compare Jesus’ Blood to juice which has no any kind of importance or magnitude in the Bible and signifies nothing, but the wine mentioned very often, almost in every Book of the Bible, and always with certain significance, meaning, worth, and value.

And I am positively sure that “the fruit of the vine” has only one meaning, which means real wine and nothing else. And Jesus and His disciples drank wine which Jesus symbolically presenting it as His Blood, at the Passover Holiday.

And as being a Jew, Jesus also drank wine at every meal He had, just like any other native Jew would do. So grape juice practically has no place in any of the rituals or in any symbolism related to rituals, or to GOD Father, or to Jesus Christ, nor as a drink, neither as anything else, and symbolizes nothing at all. The only purpose for the vineyards to possess and to grow was to make wine out of juice.

Concerning about wine how cheap or affordable it was, I heard also from a number of historians that wine was cheap and plentiful, and even the poorest of the poor can afford it.

Upvote 0