Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And by extension, according to your logic, God was wrong for instituting it in the first place. There is no way to get around that. If it's wrong, it's wrong. So, you ARE saying God is wrong.
The Death Penalty as constituted by the USA can never be justified and is indeed morally wrong. Murder is murder, whether carried out by a mobster or signed off by a State Governor, and to top it all those Jurors are complicit...

Upvote 0

StephanieSomer

Mar 16, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
✟12,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not for moving. To do so would deny my Pro Life beliefs, in concert with the Catholic Church. Are you Catholic, out of interest..?

Am I Catholic? No. But I was in my youth. I attended parochial school, went through all the catechisms, religion classes, First Communion, Confirmation, and regularly attended Mass and Penance. We never missed a holy day celebration. I am fully aware of the teachings of the Catholic Church. Am I now going to be ridiculed or questioned for daring to post here as I have numerous times in the past since I no longer affirm all the Catholic teachings or consider myself Catholic?

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Just as one can be against abortion but support an abortionist's right to kill an unborn baby...?

Two different issues obviously. One is an innocent child trying to enter the world and the 2nd is a inhumane killer who murdered and maimed innocents.

I think if any parrallels could be drawn, it would be that of the abortionist and the cold blooded killer.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Really the only point in posting on these forums anymore is to show how many people are unwilling to even entertain the idea of a discussion, going so far as to be unwilling even to state which definitions are being used.

Sad, isn't it? I've noticed the same thing quite often. You attempt to clarify what someone means and they give you either no answer or an answer that is more sarcasm than answer.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sad, isn't it? I've noticed the same thing quite often. You attempt to clarify what someone means and they give you either no answer or an answer that is more sarcasm than answer.

For the record, even though we've disagreed on quite a lot, I've always found you to be informative, polite and honest in discussions.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟344,278.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Am I Catholic? No. But I was in my youth. I attended parochial school, went through all the catechisms, religion classes, First Communion, Confirmation, and regularly attended Mass and Penance. We never missed a holy day celebration. I am fully aware of the teachings of the Catholic Church. Am I now going to be ridiculed or questioned for daring to post here as I have numerous times in the past since I no longer affirm all the Catholic teachings or consider myself Catholic?
So the answer is no. I was asking out of interest, given the clear message continuously delivered from the Vatican on the DP being unjustified in today's developed world. There's no need to turn yourself into a victim of ridicule that doesn't exist...:)

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟344,278.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Two different issues obviously. One is an innocent child trying to enter the world and the 2nd is a inhumane killer who murdered and maimed innocents.

I think if any parrallels could be drawn, it would be that of the abortionist and the cold blooded killer.
Abortion clinics sure are chambers of death and destruction, you won't get disagreement from me on that.

Yet depending on the context, you support the use of such barbaric chambers to suit your cause...:(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟344,278.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He's the same age as me, one year older maybe. He'd likely live, for many more decades, if sentenced to a life imprisonment. I think that would have just as punitive, than death, whilst young.
Just as punitive? Maybe. Morally more justifiable than the stain on your culture in using the DP? I think so, myself...

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just as punitive? Maybe. Morally more justifiable than the stain on your culture in using the DP? I think so, myself...

Yes, of course, this is true. I'm Swedish, we do not have the death penalty. It was abolished from most European countries, many years ago. It's heinous. In Sweden, offenders under the age of 21 at the time of the crime, they cannot be sentenced to life imprisonment. To me, a life in a US prison, would be an extremely severe sentence, warranted, for such a crime, as the bombing.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟344,278.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, of course, this is true. I'm Swedish, we do not have the death penalty. It was abolished from most European countries, many years ago. It's heinous. In Sweden, offenders under the age of 21 at the time of the crime, they cannot be sentenced to life imprisonment. To me, a life in a US prison, would be an extremely severe sentence, warranted, for such a crime, as the bombing.
Life without parole of the chance of release is also savage, but at least the prisoner is allowed the chance of redemption.

In Ireland a life sentence for murder would never go beyond 20 years. I think the average life sentence is actually 14 years in fact...

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Life without parole of the chance of release is also savage, but at least the prisoner is allowed the chance of redemption.

In Ireland a life sentence for murder would never go beyond 20 years. I think the average life sentence is actually 14 years in fact...

What do you do with people who let it be known they will kill again if released or who have a compulsion to kill that they cannot control?

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟344,278.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What do you do with people who let it be known they will kill again if released or who have a compulsion to kill that they cannot control?
Clearly there isn't an automatic exit on a particular date. The authorities make a call on releasing someone, they believe won't kill again. most murders are crimes of passion over here. A one off event. Most murderers would never be a threat again in new circumstances.

Those who show more psychopathic tendancies are usually in psychiatric institutions and not in general prisons...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

It's savage, but, the crime was savage, yes? Life sentences are very rare, but we haven't had anything like the Boston Marathon, or other massacres, in Sweden. The closest to such a heinous crime, was the 2011 attacks, not in Sweden, but Norway. Anders Breivik, the lone terrorist, who killed 77 people, was sentenced to 21 years in prison. That is the maximum sentence, for Norway. By law, an incarceration can be extended, as long as the offender is still deemed a danger to society. It is expected that his sentence will be extended, and he will spend the remainder of his life in prison.

I'm not in favour, of very severe punishments, that offer no hope at all. Especially, if the offender is young. This crime, it's complex, as it wasn't one murder, but so many. He and his brother caused irrevocable harm to many survivors, from the bombing, also. Loss of limbs, terrible wounds. I understand, wanting to give him, the maximum possible sentence. I don't agree, with death penalty, being an option. I don't find it unconscionable, to sentence him to life imprisonment, for these exceptionally heinous crimes.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟344,278.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's savage, but, the crime was savage, yes? Life sentences are very rare, but we haven't had anything like the Boston Marathon, or other massacres, in Sweden. The closest to such a heinous crime, was the 2011 attacks, not in Sweden, but Norway. Anders Breivik, the lone terrorist, who killed 77 people, was sentenced to 21 years in prison. That is the maximum sentence, for Norway. By law, an incarceration can be extended, as long as the offender is still deemed a danger to society. It is expected that his sentence will be extended, and he will spend the remainder of his life in prison.

I'm not in favour, of very severe punishments, that offer no hope at all. Especially, if the offender is young. This crime, it's complex, as it wasn't one murder, but so many. He and his brother caused irrevocable harm to many survivors, from the bombing, also. Loss of limbs, terrible wounds. I understand, wanting to give him, the maximum possible sentence. I don't agree, with death penalty, being an option. I don't find it unconscionable, to sentence him to life imprisonment, for these exceptionally heinous crimes.
There are exceptions where some prisoners should serve more time in prison. But to point blank refuse a young man of the chance of ever being released is particularly cruel in my opinion. The hope of possible parole should be there as an option...

Upvote 0

FlaviusAetius

Nov 17, 2012
✟18,998.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'd prefer if the bomber rotted in jail, not out of any Christian hope that he'd turn his life around but just so he could know his entire life is a single building and his home a cage.

I think it's absurd how much demonizing is being done too the jurors for deciding to kill the punk though. Such strong Pro-Life stances when it's protecting cold blooded murderers.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I truly believe that in this case the death penelty was deserved but I also think that as a whole the death penelty should be abolished as there have been way to many wrongful convictions. I also believe that life would have been a harsher sentance as long as he never got out.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟344,278.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd prefer if the bomber rotted in jail, not out of any Christian hope that he'd turn his life around but just so he could know his entire life is a single building and his home a cage.

I think it's absurd how much demonizing is being done too the jurors for deciding to kill the punk though. Such strong Pro-Life stances when it's protecting cold blooded murderers.
Being consistantly Pro-Life means protecting those you may not like...

Upvote 0