Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A Syllable of Water
Emilie Griffin, Editor
(Paraclete Press, 234pgs, $20p)

There are probably a thousand unfinished books by wannabe authors shut away in drawers around our town and maybe just as many manuscript plots floating around in peoples’ heads. I used to be a wannabe but I gave up on it years ago. Not only do I not have the aptitude to write a book but neither do I have the discipline it takes to finish one. I am content to just tell you about people who have actually written one. On rare occasions a successful writer will take the time to tell hopeful novices how they do it. One of those is Emile Griffin, who has edited a collection of conversations with some of the Christian market’s most notable writers, twenty in all, who “reflect on their art.” The book is called, “A Syllable of Water,” a title that sparked my curiosity when I first read it. As it turns out, it is a phrase from a poem written by poet Robert Siegel. A syllable of water is the fusion of a word with a thing, like the gurgle of a moonlit stream that utters a “syllable” to its hearer, fusing them into one. In literature, it is a word or syllable that becomes a contemplative blending of the hearer with the author, which is the aim of every writer. At least that’s what Siegel says in the introduction.

Now, imagine you had an opportunity to spend an hour or so with some of the best contemporary writers on faith in the country and have them share with you tips on how they perform their craft. Even a guy like me would welcome an opportunity like that. And this is precisely what Ms. Griffin gives us in “Syllable.” She divides the articles into three succeeding parts: the Beginnings (i.e., the disciplines, tools, and faith of the writer); second, the Genres of faith literature; and finally the Endings (how to wrap things up).

Of particular interest to me is the fact that the first article was written by our own Harold Fickett, whose recent book “The Faith”, co-written with Charles Colson, was released this past summer. As I read his chapter, I realized why I do not have a book in print—I don’t have what it takes. Harold Fickett does and he cites Flannery O’Conner’s advice as to why. O’Connor said that if you want to be a writer “sit at your desk for three hours each morning. Don’t allow yourself to read, answer phone calls, tidy up, or anything else. You sit there. If you are not writing, you still sit there. Eventually you will write.” Like I say, I don’t have what it takes. Maybe you do.

Other contributors include Luci Shaw who gives advice on keeping a notebook, Dain Trafton talks the writer about writers reading widely, Rudy Nelson gives some advice on doing research and Keith Miller confronts the insidious writer’s block. In the section on “Genres” there is advice from such authors as Philip Yancey, Richard Foster and Eugene Peterson on things like writing nonfiction, novels, biography, poetry, and scripts. The final section, “Endings,” helps a writer know how to wrap up a book or article, which, I have just now re-discovered, is more difficult than one might think.

~~~~~.

Author bio/photo
Emilie Griffinis a native of New Orleans. She received a B.A. in English and Classics from Newcomb College of Tulane University. She also pursued graduate studies in theology at Notre Dame Seminary.

A professional writer, editor, and marketing consultant, Emilie has won fifty awards for creativity. Over her career, she has worked for major advertising agencies in New York and New Orleans, and studied playwriting with Edward Albee at the Circle in the Square Theatre in New York. In 1998-1999 she was a guest columnist for Praying magazine. She recently collaborated with Richard Foster on a book entitled Spiritual Classics (her seventh major title). She has worked extensively as a retreat and workshop leader with Christians of all denominations. She is a member of the board of Renovare, an infra-church movement committed to Christian renewal.

Emilie is the award-winning author of several books on the spiritual life including Turning: Reflections on the Experience of Conversion, Wilderness Time: A Guide for Spiritual Retreat, and Doors Into Prayer (Paraclete Press). Emilie and her husband live in Alexandria, Louisiana and are the parents of three grown children. Her recent book, Wonderful and Dark is This Road is an introduction and invitation to discover the fascinating, and often misunderstood spiritual phenomenon of mysticism

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Cool title. Most of my adult life people have said, "You should write a book." And like you Jim, it ain't gonna happen without divine intervention. I'm not into first person books too much anyway. I figure if my life is worth writing about someone else will want to do it.

I did a short stint as a reporter for a local newspaper. I was sleeping in my car when the freak hurricane passed through, so I had some good pictures and stories.

Then they asked me to cover a murder trial. A guy slaughtered his wife because she was interferring with him and his buddy making a horror movie on the appalacian trail. I wrote the story but I was glad when that job came to an end. It was difficult to stay in the courtroom.

I love to read to read but I don't think that qualifies me as a writer.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.