Choctaw
✟8,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day! My name is Kevin. I have been a Christian for about 29 years now. I love the Lord but certainly have my shortcomings (more than I would like :)). I know that my salvation is secure and have overall peace knowing that -- no matter what -- I will be with God and Jesus when this mortal body is finished.

Even with that, I still have my challenges. One of the things that I am struggling with -- at least a little -- is just...getting older in general. I will be 54 in 3 months. I realize that age is a relevant thing. But, at this stage of life, I am just having somewhat of a hard time accepting that my body is slowly breaking down -- both physically and mentally. It has become abundantly clear that I will never be as strong or as quick -- physically or mentally -- as I was when I was in my 20s. While I realize that is just natural progression and most people will go through this phase -- it is still hard for me to accept.

I feel myself feeling nostalgic more these days and longing for the body and mind that I had in my 20s -- when life felt so "alive". In any case, I recognize that, while minor right now, this has potential to be a stumbling block in my walk with Christ.

So, all that to say, I am looking for a good Christian book or two (or three -- and not counting the Bible, of course :) ) that might be an encouragement to a guy like me with where I am at with life and with what I shared.

Does anyone have any good book recommendations that might provide encouragement on this topic of aging?

Thanks,

Kevin

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟63,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What a good question! I've not read any books on aging, though I'm in my 60s, but decided it sounds like a good idea. There's one available on Amazon titled "Joyfully Aging: A Christian's Guide" by Richard Bimler. After reading the reviews I plan to buy it myself.

I also found this list of books on aging and getting older:

One mentioned is "The Secret Life of Hendrik Groen", which I've finally found on Hoopla and plan to borrow.

Reactions: HeavenWard7
Upvote 0

HeavenWard7

Nov 6, 2023
Choctaw
✟8,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What a good question! I've not read any books on aging, though I'm in my 60s, but decided it sounds like a good idea. There's one available on Amazon titled "Joyfully Aging: A Christian's Guide" by Richard Bimler. After reading the reviews I plan to buy it myself.

I also found this list of books on aging and getting older:

One mentioned is "The Secret Life of Hendrik Groen", which I've finally found on Hoopla and plan to borrow.
Thank you for taking the time to offer the recommendation (and the list). I read an excerpt of the "Joyfully Aging: A Christian's Guide" book, and I agree, that looks like it has good poential. I have just put in an order for the book, myself.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Upvote 0

Danny&Annie&theChristmas

Nov 11, 2023
Houston
✟2,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day! My name is Kevin. I have been a Christian for about 29 years now. I love the Lord but certainly have my shortcomings (more than I would like :)). I know that my salvation is secure and have overall peace knowing that -- no matter what -- I will be with God and Jesus when this mortal body is finished.

Even with that, I still have my challenges. One of the things that I am struggling with -- at least a little -- is just...getting older in general. I will be 54 in 3 months. I realize that age is a relevant thing. But, at this stage of life, I am just having somewhat of a hard time accepting that my body is slowly breaking down -- both physically and mentally. It has become abundantly clear that I will never be as strong or as quick -- physically or mentally -- as I was when I was in my 20s. While I realize that is just natural progression and most people will go through this phase -- it is still hard for me to accept.

I feel myself feeling nostalgic more these days and longing for the body and mind that I had in my 20s -- when life felt so "alive". In any case, I recognize that, while minor right now, this has potential to be a stumbling block in my walk with Christ.

So, all that to say, I am looking for a good Christian book or two (or three -- and not counting the Bible, of course :) ) that might be an encouragement to a guy like me with where I am at with life and with what I shared.

Does anyone have any good book recommendations that might provide encouragement on this topic of aging?

Thanks,

Kevin
In my book I follow a couple from their childhood until their passing as a married couple in their old age meeting their final event.

Upvote 0