United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rough and Rowdy Ways Tour satisfies at Austin stop

What is the Pantone of Hell? Whatever color code you might apply to that wicked strain of red – that’s what shade the curtains surrounding the enormous stage at Bass Concert Hall are lit for Bob Dylan and his band in tailored black suits.

“I'll sell you down the river/ I’ll put a price on your head/ What more can I tell you? I sleep with life and death in the same bed,” the 80-year-old sings decisively on “I Contain Multitudes” – the third song of Wednesday’s set and first inclusion from his 2020 LP, Rough and Rowdy Ways. That fan-pleasing record’s replete with first-person declarations that defy, and sometimes intertwine, concepts of virtue and evil. Being everything – it’s the Devil’s defense.

Or so says my mind, with wheels turning intensely from the experience of seeing the great poet of popular music over the last 60 years. The sentiment doubles with “False Prophet” from the same album.

You don't know me, darlin’/ You never would guess/ I'm nothing like my ghostly appearance would suggest/ I ain't no false prophet/ I just said what I said/ I’m just here to bring vengeance on somebody's head.

Continued below.
Bob Dylan’s Devil Complex and Mysterious Stage Pose

• Informative
Reactions: Unqualified