Jul 14, 2003
✟18,632.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Look, If you understood the spiritual life. I wouldn't have to say anything at all? To be wise; isn't rated by knowledge. Along with that said; to understand the property's of another idea you have to try to think outside your box. Its hard for a city man to relate to a farm boy? Don't you think? You can acknowledge something, but until you experience it; you truly can't understand it: unless you are wise?

Let's keep it real simple...

As long as the blood is properly tested for disease and anything else that might be harmful to the recipient, it really doesn't matter who it comes from from a biological or medical standpoint.

If you have a spiritual concern, or are overwhelmed by an "ick" factor, then that's an issue you'll have to deal with when you're lying in a hospital ER loosing pints of blood and need an emergency transfusion to save your life.

Upvote 0

PantsMcFist

Trying to get his head back under the clouds
Aug 16, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
✟16,177.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Honesty:confused::help:LOL With morality up in debate....and people say they don't have free will? People chose to use God and his morals ;when it tends to suit them!

Honesty isn't the issue here. Whether someone is truthful or not in disclosing STIs they may carry, blood parasites, or w/e, the blood is screened thoroughly. No procedure is perfect, but there is little to worry about.

Upvote 0

Matthewj1985

Oct 7, 2008
Texas
✟1,669.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

As long as the blood is properly tested for disease and anything else that might be harmful to the recipient, it really doesn't matter who it comes from from a biological or medical standpoint.

If you have a spiritual concern, or are overwhelmed by an "ick" factor, then that's an issue you'll have to deal with when you're lying in a hospital ER loosing pints of blood and need an emergency transfusion to save your life.

Tainted the blood may still be though youngling. Purified it must be before entering my vessel of a body.

Upvote 0

Adrift*

Jan 19, 2009
✟7,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Though the question asked is fairly clumsy, the thinking behind this is one that certain religious groups like Jehovah Witnesses struggle with. They take Paul's words to the Greeks in Acts to abstain from eating blood in the company of Jews (who were forbidden eating blood and strangled things) and read "blood transfusion" into this. They build a religious wall around simple instruction to a specific group of people and disregard Jesus' words in Matthew 15:17

Do you not see that whatever goes into the mouth passes into the stomach and is expelled? But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander. These are what defile a person. But to eat with unwashed hands does not defile anyone."

Upvote 0

allhart

Messianic believer
Feb 24, 2007
Turlock, CA
✟16,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I think it's logical to be proactive than reactive, Don't you think?;)

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Allhart,

Here are few points to ponder. Most of the other posters here have already mention them.

1.The process to ensure that donated blood is disease free is quite elaborate. The chances that you will get an infectious decease from a blood transfusion are very low.

2. DNA from the transfused blood does not take over your nor does it taint your DNA.

3. Blood is not part of your spiritual essence, only part of your flesh.

4. There are no biblical moral implications regarding blood transfusions from sinners. Aren't all of us sinners anyway?

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
No, DNA doesn't mix and blend with other people's DNA. DNA is part of the nucleus of cells, and acts as a directing program for the cell's behavior. It can be overwritten, in the case of viruses, or mutated, but not become a composite without being spliced in a lab.

I don't mean to offend or insult, but, this is grade 7 knowledge. How did you graduate HS without knowing human biology better than this?

Actually that depends on when and where you were in grade 7. Please note the age. Our friend here is a few years younger than I but when I was in high school we were taught about "genes" but we weren't taught much about DNA, RNA, protein replication etc. Chromosomes "needing to be the same number" and somehow "combining to form your unique set of Chromosomes" was about as deep as we went in high school.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
OK let's put it this way;
If I am receiving a blood transfusion you can pretty much bet I'm going to die without it. If I didn't have time to donate my own blood such as before a scheduled surgery etc. then I am dependent upon donated blood.

If I'm going to die without the transfusion, give it to me. Even if there is a blood borne illness I'm going to die without it and I'm going to die right now. Assuming the worse at least the transfusion would give me more time with my family.

Besides everyone else has already told you the chances of contracting a blood borne illness in the U.S. through a transfusion is nearly impossible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I agree with this. But I still think good idea to screen donar before testing blood, to reduce chance. But if you die anyway, you need blood right? WHen I surgery I put blood in first. My friend very sick now. Maybe from transfusion. Rare, but can happen. Nothing certain in life. Also not just blood. But equipment must be sterilize. Many people expose to illness in California, getting colonoscopy i think. Because equipment not well sterlize. Many thing can be wrong. Blood is minor one among many.

Agreed.

Upvote 0

PantsMcFist

Aug 16, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
✟16,177.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Actually that depends on when and where you were in grade 7. Please note the age. Our friend here is a few years younger than I but when I was in high school we were taught about "genes" but we weren't taught much about DNA, RNA, protein replication etc. Chromosomes "needing to be the same number" and somehow "combining to form your unique set of Chromosomes" was about as deep as we went in high school.

I understand that, but the most basic knowledge already existed in the public school system in the 80s, which would have answered these questions. Heck, all you really need is an understanding of cell structure and lifecycle.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I understand that, but the most basic knowledge already existed in the public school system in the 80s, which would have answered these questions. Heck, all you really need is an understanding of cell structure and lifecycle.

Well I graduated in 1982 and my text book listed the cell structure as the cell wall, the inter cellular liquid and the nucleus. (I didn't learn the word organelle until college) That was it, and my school certainly was the norm. At least as far as most public schools went.

I realize that the knowledge was available but it wasn't necessarily taught to all, or even most at the time.

Upvote 0

PantsMcFist

Aug 16, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
✟16,177.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Well I graduated in 1982 and my text book listed the cell structure as the cell wall, the inter cellular liquid and the nucleus. (I didn't learn the word organelle until college) That was it, and my school certainly was the norm. At least as far as most public schools went.

I realize that the knowledge was available but it wasn't necessarily taught to all, or even most at the time.

Huh, I didn't think the textbooks would vary so much region to region. I was in junior high mid 90s, and our books were printed in the late 70s, early 80s. I do remember us talking about the different cell structures depending on whether the cell was photosynthetic, or cellular respiratory. Junior high was more chemistry than biology. HS was more physics and bio.

Upvote 0

allhart

Messianic believer
Feb 24, 2007
Turlock, CA
✟16,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Another thought on education as the norm, they teach only one way audio or visual. As Parents we know our kids. Not all kids learn the same way, because of personality differences.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Huh, I didn't think the textbooks would vary so much region to region. I was in junior high mid 90s, and our books were printed in the late 70s, early 80s. I do remember us talking about the different cell structures depending on whether the cell was photosynthetic, or cellular respiratory. Junior high was more chemistry than biology. HS was more physics and bio.

Well that would partially explain it, think about it; your textbooks were from the late 70's and you were using them in the mid 90's. When then do you think the books we were using may have been published? We were a poor urban school district, new text books are expensive, I would guess that my textbooks were probably published early 70's.

For what it's worth as far as I know there were only a few of us who didn't have to take remedial classes when we got to college. I don't really count though as I served in the Navy after high school and took a number of classes through the Community College of the Air Force.

Upvote 0

PantsMcFist

Aug 16, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
✟16,177.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Another thought on education as the norm, they teach only one way audio or visual. As Parents we know our kids. Not all kids learn the same way, because of personality differences.

This is important, but from what I remember most teachers had a sense of it, and tried to at least use a lesson plan that would be useful for audio, visual, and tactile learners - then usually help or get tutors to help the few that learned by repetition.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green

I think schools probably do a much better job now than when we were in school.

The only classes I remember that weren't almost entirely lecture/text based were Biology and Chemistry. My Physics class didn't even have a lab component.

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
This is important, but from what I remember most teachers had a sense of it, and tried to at least use a lesson plan that would be useful for audio, visual, and tactile learners - then usually help or get tutors to help the few that learned by repetition.

Good to hear! That certainly wasn't the case when I was in school. (man I feel old)

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it ethical to receive blood transfusions from practicing unnatural behavior from homosexual? If one tracts a sexual transmitted disease; they are not, no longer to give blood.

In like, drug abusers; that practice with needles or unnatural behavior makes me tend to cringe!

I myself only recently donated blood last week, so let me help you out with a few facts, some of which might have been made before (too lazy to check; those of more medical mind please correct me if I'm wrong):

1: When you donate blood, you fill out a form with your name, address, etc., to insure confidentiality, that form is given a number, and only that number is attached to the blood sample. The blood is screened for HIV, STDs, Hepetitis, and the other usual suspects. Anything shows up positive, the blood isn't used, and the doner would get a phone call.

2: The questionnaire to screen blood is very detailed. Among the questions I was asked were: "If you are a male, have you had sex with a man, even once, since 1977?" And "Have you ever used a needle, even once, to inject a non-perscription drug into your body?" I can only assume that a "yes" to either of those would've disqualified me.

3: DNA is only kept in a cell's nucleus, and red blood cells have no nucleus. Ergo, no DNA there. White blood cells do have nuclei, and therefore, DNA, but White Blood Cells do not reproduce -- they are created in your bone marrow.

Therefore, while you may get someone else's DNA in you, it'll only be in there temporarily -- at least until those white cells die naturally. So getting sinner's blood will not make you a sinner any more than eating a cheeseburger will turn you into a cow.

On the lighter side, consider: Since there is now Poe blood out there in the medical system, it's possible that should you be in an emergency and require a transfusion, it's very possible you just might get a pint of Atheist Juice in you before you leave the hospital.

If you were to die shortly thereafter and meet your maker in that state, do you honestly think God would penalize you for it?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.