Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have all experienced rejection in some way or another. It’s usually not pleasant.

The rejection might have been on a job application, or perhaps in an attempt to join some school, organization, or team. Maybe it was an attempt to begin a personal or business relationship with someone. Or, perhaps, as in my case, it was an attempt to be accepted into some church ministry.

One thing is fairly certain, the more significant, important, and desired the application or effort, the deeper the wound from the resulting rejection will be.

I have experienced rejection in various forms in my life just like anyone else my age (early 60s), with varying degrees of pain and sadness. However, no rejection was ever deeper than being rejected for the deaconate in my diocese of Rockville Centre in Long Island. I felt fairly confident that I would be accepted after a year-long journey of interviews, application forms, document submissions, etc. But it was not to be.

I had applied in fall of 2019, right before the pandemic hit. On July 16, the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, I received the letter of what I thought would be a joyful acceptance into formation. I was so excited, thinking that receiving the letter on this beautiful feast was a message of a long ministry as a deacon. As I opened the letter I could not believe my eyes. As I read the letter, I experienced shock which quickly became devastation. A deep feeling of desolation quickly followed.

Shock Intensity Involves Expectations

Continued below.