blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

W

WPZanar07

so there is unforgivable sin?????
Well, it is, in a sense, unforgivable if you do not turn to Christ before death, so he would never have had a chance to forgive you, so it would be "unforgiveable." Oi, we could talk about this all day. As far as love goes, it's easy to get love mixed up with other feelings. Perhaps you were just thinking it out of spite. I would know what that's like.

Upvote 0

underthesouthercross

Apr 12, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Visit site
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
yes Jesus did say that whoever sins againist him can be forgiven but whoever sins against the Holy Spirit will not, but l'm sure that when you do become a new creation god does erase all the thing bad you have done...
Amen for that...

Upvote 0

trustinChrist

Dec 16, 2006
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
yes and now that I have analyzed what I have said,I realize I didn't directly say anything against the Holy Spirit,but I'm not sure if you have to *directly*say things against the Spirt in order to commit blasphemy of the Holy Spirit,or if you not specifically address the Spirit and still blaspheme Him.....

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟578,769.44
Faith
Messianic
yes and now that I have analyzed what I have said,I realize I didn't directly say anything against the Holy Spirit,but I'm not sure if you have to *directly*say things against the Spirt in order to commit blasphemy of the Holy Spirit,or if you not specifically address the Spirit and still blaspheme Him.....
Most people assume that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is like calling the Holy Spirit names and other insulting comments, but that is not it. I know that this thread all stems from the verse...

Matthew 12:31 And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
so let's take a closer look..

Think of it this way, the Holy Spirit has feelings too. So just like you, the Holy Spirit can grieve.
Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.
What grieves the Holy Spirit is the continual disobedience to His messages to your heart. Continually against the Holy Spirit's convictions upon your heart, you continue to do wrong. As in this scriptural example where lying does not stop from your mouth when you know better.
1 Timothy 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
Every time you lie, you are grieving the Holy Spirit and searing your own conscience to hear the Holy Spirit no more.

In the case that you presented, you have shown repentence, when the conviction came for you to repent. You have not, from what I understand your thread to be saying continually said that which is not true. You have learned the truth, and are now walking in it. This is something that the Lord rejoices over.

Only the devil would want you to believe that you are too far gone to be salvageable. Not so, as so many on this thread have reassured you. The very fact that you know that you have sinned, are a sinner, repent, and are convicted of sin, says that you in the working hands of our Lord and He will continue to lead and guide you as long as you continue to follow Him.

Remember that being convicted is not enough.
John 8:9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
It just means the Lord has not given up on you.

When you committed this act, it was in ignorance. The Lord does handle innocent ignorance a little differently.
Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
So fear not, since you have come to the knowledge and have been asked to repent, the Lord has forgiven you. SO I am like Paul, in that I to say...
2 Corinthians 7:9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
Remember..
2 Corinthians 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Although, I will give you one SERIOUS WARNING... You can grieve the Holy Spirit by selling your soul and birthright the Lord has promised. Hopefully nothing on this earth is worth such a cheap temporary need now exchange as Esau's....
Hebrews 12:16 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. 17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.
Hopefully you know what a precious find you have in Yeshua.

Upvote 0
D

DamagedNothing

The fact that you're even concerned about this shows that the Holy Spirit hasn't abandoned you. If you had committed the unpardonable sin, the Holy Spirit would have departed. You never would have been drawn to Christ. You would have no interest in salvation or anything having to do with God. All of that comes from the Spirit.

A few years ago I too was afraid I had committed this sin. God showed me the truth and set me free of that fear. He'll do the same for you.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
One of the keys to understanding scripture is understanding the context of a verse. But when I speak of context I am not just speaking about the surrounding verses. I am speaking about things such as is Jesus speaking to a group or to an individual ? Is he speaking into a specific situation ? Who is His audience ?

When I read the passage concerning the unforgivable sin , I read it in the context of those for God and those against God. Remember Jesus had just responded to their attack and stated that a kingdom divided shall not stand. So I take it this way. The sin of the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the sin of refusing salvation. Those who are saved and receive the Holy Spirit shall be forgiven all kinds of sins. But those who are not saved and who therefore refuse the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven.

Matthew 12:35 speaks about evil words coming out of an evil heart.

In short, this was Jesus way of telling the Pharisees present that they were not saved. Not that thye were any more sinful than others who had been saved. But on this key point they had gone too far. They had rejected God.

Remember the context. You are either in God's kingdom or the Devil's kingdom. The two kingdoms are at war. So if you take the devil's side , then you will be cast out along with the demon spirits. If you take God's side then you will be forgiven.

So take all the complicated stuff out of it. You are either for God or against Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

greavito

Apr 4, 2006
PLYMOUTH!
✟15,393.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
I have recently been worried about something I did years ago.I used to tell people that satan loved them.I have since repented,but am worried this might be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit because I attributed love to satan when it actually comes from God.Did I commit the unforgiveable sin?
dude! all sins are forgivable! its what jesus died for! to forgive all sins

Upvote 0

Mrs. Enigma

Transformers was awesome!!!!
Jan 12, 2004
somewhere
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have recently been worried about something I did years ago.I used to tell people that satan loved them.I have since repented,but am worried this might be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit because I attributed love to satan when it actually comes from God.Did I commit the unforgiveable sin?
I used to be afraid that I had done that too.

Here is how I view it currently. If you blaspheme the Holy Spirit it is like rejecting Him when you need God to save you, you can't be forgiven of it because you are rejecting the only thing that can save. But you are accepting the Holy Spirit currently, and thus you are not engaged in that sin.

I know what is like to be freaked out about it though. Sorry that you are having to go through that.

Upvote 0

paul123

Oct 22, 2006
NH
✟15,598.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Well, after a bit of research i found this definition of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

- blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is saying that Jesus did His miracles by the power of the devil or "unclean spirits".

It is said that if you are Christian, you cannot commit this sin. It is also said that this sin is forgiven if the person later on becomes saved. The reasoning behind that is "If you commit an unpardonable sin, you have utterly and completely rejected the ministry of the Holy Spirit, and you can't care about it - you will have a complete disdain and revulsion to the things of the gospel. If you are worried that you are beyond God's grace, if you fear God's judgment, if you desire to be saved, the Holy Spirit is still working in you and you cannot have utterly and completely rejected God or have blasphemed the Holy Spirit."

Those are just a few opinions that i have read... I am not an expert but there is much more info out there...

Well put!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟578,769.44
Faith
Messianic
The reasoning behind that is "If you commit an unpardonable sin, you have utterly and completely rejected the ministry of the Holy Spirit, and you can't care about it - you will have a complete disdain and revulsion to the things of the gospel.
Not quite... A person can determine that they may not choose to serve God but also that they will not join the other side and have complete disdain and revulsion to the things of the gospel... Scary position that choice is, because they have thrown away the only hope of salvation and the arms of safety the Lord can provide, and at the same time refused to help the devil detroy the work of the gospel in those around them. What the devil can not use He will destroy.

Upvote 0

savedfromdistruction

Dec 30, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟8,870.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
guys I'm still struggling for a clear answer of whether or not I commited this...somedays I feel like I haven't and other days I question if saying satan loves you is attributing something from the Spirit to the devil.I know this is an old thread,but I'd just like clarity

Hello trustinChrist,
The answer is that you have not done this. I think that it would be best if you went to my web site and read the article that I wrote in this issue. it may help clear up some doubt that you are having. God bless :)

Upvote 0