Dirty South, Auckland, NZ
Visit site
✟7,709.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
James1979 said:
You have truth Holly. We can't duplicate this sin because if we could committ this sin then that would mean that we are not one of God's people because God cannot forgive and pay for that particular sin but he could pay for any other sins. So how could we get into heaven with one sin in our lives. We can't, so if this was true and it did happen this way then we would be sent to hell forever more because God only brings in holy people(w/out sin paid by Jesus Christ) in his kingdom.

God Bless
Is the unforgiveable sin sin that we have committed, not repented of, and died. God cannot forgive a sinner once they are dead becoz eternally they are unholy.....

Q: Can God forgive someone there sin if they repented in the afterlife?

Upvote 0

James1979

Mar 3, 2004
✟794.00
Faith
Christian
Of course not, I don't think you understood what I was talking about. The blasphemy against the Holy Spirit cannot be committed today. It was a one time situation when Jesus was on earth. I was giving an example as if it was still possible to commit that sin. But you're right, if the indiviual never became a new creature in Christ, then yes that indiviual is unholy before God.

Upvote 0

Paddy the Irishman

Jun 28, 2004
Dirty South, Auckland, NZ
Visit site
✟7,709.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
yeah I know what you ment....some religions think that you can 'convert' someone (who is already dead) by doing an act on their behalf....just wondering if there was anyone in here that thought like that.

James1979 said:
The blasphemy against the Holy Spirit cannot be committed today. It was a one time situation when Jesus was on earth.
How can you be so sure?

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paddy the Irishman said:
Is the unforgiveable sin sin that we have committed, not repented of, and died. God cannot forgive a sinner once they are dead becoz eternally they are unholy.....
:scratch: interesting, is there anyone who dies who is NOT a sinner? Wouldn't that mean that all of us are condemned eternally as unholy?

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SerenityBlue said:
I suppose we could consider Acts 5 - Ananias and Sapphira, who lied to the Holy Spirit, and died instantly for it. It must have been an unforgivable sin in that situation.

I think that if they were Christians they were forgiven and we'll see them in heaven. I hope that's right anyway.

I heard someone explain that if someone persisits in disobedience then God will convict them and wait for them to correct their behaviour. If that doesn't work he will punish them in order to try to get them back on the path, and if they throw that back in his face they will face death.

This preacher likened it to how we treat a child misbehaving at a party - warn them, punish them, finally take them home so they can't cause any more trouble.

Could this be what happened to Ananaias and Sapphira?

Regarding blaspheming the Spirit, I agree with those who said if we fear we've done it it only proves we haven't.
Also that the proof someone has done it would be that they are totally unconcerned, because their conscience had become so seared they could utterly ignore His call to repent; they won't repent and so cannot be forgiven.

Blessings, Susana

Upvote 0

James1979

Mar 3, 2004
✟794.00
Faith
Christian
Paddy the Irishman said:
yeah I know what you ment....some religions think that you can 'convert' someone (who is already dead) by doing an act on their behalf....just wondering if there was anyone in here that thought like that.

How can you be so sure?

Read the scriptures and find out because anything I tell you, you can't trust me you have to look at the scriptures for yourself to see if this is true. Those indiviuals were accusing Jesus as God being under the power of Satan. No one in our day can accuse someone being under the power of Satan, we cannot look into the hearts of any person. That's the difference Jesus was not just a human man, he was Almighty God in their presence being accused of being powered by Satan. We can't accuse God today that he might be under the power of Satan, we know that God has all power over his entire creation.

God Bless

Upvote 0

alorents

Dec 7, 2004
South Portland, ME
✟168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the one and only unforgivable sin as stated by Jesus himself. It is also the hardest sin for anyone to commit (next to impossible). In fact we can hear all kinds of blasphemy against God and Christ, but rarely if ever do we hear of someone trying to commit blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. It would seem that we either instinctively avoid it or God protects us from committing such a sin foolishly. Unless like the pharisees you willfully of your own free will fall into such perversion.

So how does one commit this sin? First and most importantly you must know the Holy Spirit. An unbeliever cannot commit this sin (which is why this sin is so grievous) as the person committing this sin knows full well the works of the Holy Spirit to be true as they have witnessed evidence of it in one form or another. The Pharisees saw Jesus cast out devils and they knew without doubt that this was through the power of the Holy Spirit. Instead they attributed it to Beelzebub, the prince of devils.

Secondly, after you know the truth, you must (by your own free will) from your heart of hearts renounce the Holy spirit and maliciously oppose, vilify and pervert the works of the Holy Spirit by attributing it to evil. So if someone questions whether or not they have committed this sin or is worried about being saved, then this sin could never have been committed. The person who commits this sin opposes the very one who must deal with him or her and draws him or her to salvation as the Holy Spirit draws us to Christ. Basically the Holy Spirit no longer recognizes this person and will not deal with them as this person has no chance of salvation. For the Holy Spirit knows that not only will this person never repent but they will actively work to oppose the Holy Spirit even though they "know" the truth. The draw toward salvation is gone.

None of us are likely to ever witness an act by the Holy Spirit that would erase all mortal doubts in even the most ardent disbeliever. Not until the coming of Christ in the last days will the world most likely be afforded such evidence and witness such blasphemy. I am not going to say it's impossible for someone to have been giving the rare privilege of seeing a miracle delivered by the Holy Spirit that erases all doubts, but to me it's unlikely, on the other hand with God all things are possible....

Reactions: MbiaJc
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the result of a condition sometimes refered to as perdition. Perdition is actually the opposite being born again and when Jesus discussed blasphemy of the Holy Spirit he was talking to people who called the Holy Spirit unclean. The reason this is such a permenant judgment is because they had rejected the only means by which they could be saved, the washing, renewing and regeneration of the Holy Spirit.

I remember once shortly before becoming a Christian I was under conviction and really getting sick of it. In a confused and emotional state of mind I cursed God and later felt sick about it. After finally accepting Christ I asked a preacher, actually a Navy chaplin, if I had committed the particular sin and I was really worried that I had. He just smiled and said if it worries you that you did then you couldn't have possibly done it. Over time I came to realize that this sin is commited by a child of perdition and due to the hardness of their heart they have no regard for the things of God. What you would have to do is to see the real world work of the Holy Spirit and call Him unclean, this is a condition beyond remedy. It doesn't matter if you die that very instant or live a hundred more years, there is no way you would ever care to repent in this life or the next. This sin is commited exclusivly by a child of perdition.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Reactions: MbiaJc
Upvote 0

alwayselearning

Jan 5, 2004
NY
✟298.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
@@Paul@@ said:
..........The only unforgivable sin is the disobedience to God by not accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Savior. ;)

Mar 13:11 But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.

Could you explain why you think Mark 13:11 is even a sin?

In my opinion its accepting Christ then walking away from the faith. Its impossible to renew your repentance. Heb 6:4-6.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
alwayselearning said:
In my opinion its accepting Christ then walking away from the faith. Its impossible to renew your repentance. Heb 6:4-6.
That is something to think about.

Also, thanks for your post. I was looking for the verse that says if you walk away from the faith, God won't take you back. You just gave me the verse; thank you.

7x7 said:
what do you mean by "walking away" ?

thx
To turn from the faith; i.e. to be Christian, then stop being a Christian.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
alwayselearning said:

It is impossible according to the passage to be convinced of the gospel and then to walk away and then to find repentance. You cannot be born again and the be unborn again because it is as hard for a beliver to be cast out of Christ as it is for Christ to be cast out of the Trinity. Take a good look at the passage, the writer is not talking about a born again believer, he is talking about someone convinced of the truth and does not repent in the first place.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Just for reference, here is the passage:

[bible]Hebrews 6:4-6[/bible]

Sounds like the passage is talking about believers to me. In verse four, it's talking about people that were once partakers of the Holy Ghost. You are only a partaker of the Holy Ghost if you have been born again. Also, in verse six, it says, "If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance...;" seems like the verse is talking about people that have already repented before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alorents

Dec 7, 2004
South Portland, ME
✟168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being enlightened simply means you have been made more aware. Partaking in the Holy Ghost does not necessarily mean being born again, it could simply mean that the person witnessed the power of the Holy Ghost.

Either way, this passage seems to indicate Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit and considering Jesus himself proclaimed this to be the one unforgivable sin while we are walking this earth, I myself would have to accept the passage as meaning someone has witnessed (partake) the power of the Holy Ghost and thereby became enlightened to the truth and yet choose to defy the word and powers of God.

Could this verse pertain to someone who was once saved and yet chose to walk away from God? Of course. The question then becomes, can a person who once accepted God into his heart, completely turn his heart away from God?

Upvote 0

7x7

Dec 2, 2004
S.E.
✟371.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
>>can a person who once accepted God into his heart, completely turn his heart away from God?<<

I dont think so, I cant imagine anyway. mabey thats where/how they get "once saved, allways saved"? where does that come from?

I was just curious as if walking away meant back sliding. so are backsliders commiting this unforgivable sin?

Upvote 0

tqpix

Deist
Apr 18, 2004
Vancouver
✟16,046.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hebrews 6:4 said:
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers* of the Holy Ghost,
* G3353
????????
metochos
met'-okh-os
From G3348; participant, that is, (as noun) a sharer; by implication an associate: - fellow, partaker, partner.

Hebrews 6:6 said:
If they shall fall away*, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame
* G3895
??????????
parapipto?
par-ap-ip'-to
From G3844 and G4098; to fall aside, that is, (figuratively) to apostatize: - fall away.

Apostatize = To abandon one's religious faith, a political party, one's principles, or a cause. (Courtesy: http://www.dictionary.com.)

Upvote 0

alorents

Dec 7, 2004
South Portland, ME
✟168.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it possible for a born again Christian to turn away from God and commit the unforgivable sin? I would like to think not, but in reality nothing is impossible. After all we are human, just as we are sinners. As such, we are capable of the worst of evils, just as we are capable of greatest of good good.

The school of thought for many theological scholars is that today it would be impossible for anyone to commit the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost as Jesus is not walking the Earth doing miracles or other acts through the Holy Ghost -- therefore unlike the Pharisees there is no way you can witness acts by the Holy Ghost that would erase all doubts of his power and presence.

But then we all know that if we die without accepting Christ into our hearts and as our savior you are also condemned. So some would say that this is also a form of blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, since you have defied the Holy Ghost and his call to salvation through Christ up until your death.

For me, I can only believe in the teachings of Christ and do so without adding or subtracting from his message. I believe that for the most part it is not possible for anyone while alive to to commit blasphemy against the Holy Ghost (only in death), for the simple reality that Christ no longer gives us the opportunity to witness irrefutable evidence of the power and presence of the Holy Ghost. Instead it is by our faith alone that we must accept Christ into our hearts. Just as I believe that in death if we have not accepted Christ into our hearts than this could be a form of Blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which is why we are condemned if we refuse to be saved when our time comes to leave this world. But there are few certainties in our lives and knowledge.

For all the answers we my derive from the scriptures, there will be many more questions unanswered. What is certain and unmistakable is: God loves all his children, we are all given every opportunity for salvation be it in this life or the next and in the end it is by our faith and our belief or disbelief in Christ who died for all our sins that will decide in the end where we go and what happens to us when our time comes and are called to face judgment. It is God alone that has the wisdom and understanding to judge any of us by what ever individualistic manner he feels is appropriate, for other than ourselves only God knows our hearts.

So if someone born again simply has a "bad" day and questions his faith, there can be no question that this person is still saved. Even a Christian with the greatest of faith can have doubts for whatever reason -- we continue to be sinners through out our entire lives and being saved does not alter our imperfection. To commit the unforgivable sin it must be absolute, permanent and without doubt.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.