Big bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurfboy

May 25, 2005
✟261.00
Faith
Christian
Melethiel: Whoops. My bad. Thanks for correction. Yes, I meant to say "second Laws of Thermodynamics."

Mwilliamsll: Again, let me rephrase the question. How long did it takes for heavy elements to appear from Light elements' first birth? It appears to me, as far as I'm concerned, that Evolutionists does not know the answer to that question, thus making their claims of 14 billion years old seem questionable to me. For example, in the article you provided in link, the author states, "Most of the oxygen in the present-day Universe was produced in nuclear reactions just before or during the spectacular stellar explosions known as Type II supernovae. These occur at the end of the life of stars that began with about eight times or more mass than the Sun." Notice the statement "at the end of the life of stars", this is why I quoted in my first reply: It cannot be in early first generation of the Stars, as Evolutionists might suggest, because heavy elements required extremely high temperatures, i.e. Supernova, to occurred." So think about it. Between light and heavy elements, those 'time' are missing. Could it be 40% missing? 60.546545%? Or even 99.34%?

When people tells me that Universe came from Nothing, then there's a major problem that I have in mind. For example, (someone from other site gave an excellent explanation about the flaw of Big Bang Theory). I will explain what he stated in general (sorry, I cannot remember which site I went but here goes...) Imagine that there is an enormous box, about the size of football field, and it has no window or any open around it. All of the sides are solid and nothing comes through it. Inside the box, there is Absolutely Nothing in it, meaning that there is no atom, no life form, no air, etc. How in the world can we manage to get around inside the box that'll change our life? You might think that there has to be at least a single particle inside the box, though that you still hold the view of Absolutely Nothing, then that doesn't make any sense. Do you understand what words 'Absolutely Nothing' means to you? You might think that we have to give "time" for something to happen inside the box, however the word "time", itself, doesn't change anything, literally. If I bake the cake for 15 minute and it got warm, then what did the 'time' ever do to the cake? Nothing. The heat of oven warm up the cake, not the time.

Furthermore, if I put two people, male and female, inside the box and about a year later, will something change? Yes. It's not "time" that change something. It was Male and Female that can mate together and produce baby. In fact, they can make babies as much as they wish. But one major problem. There's no air, no water, no atom, etc., inside the box. They cannot survive without them. This is the major reason why I dismissed the whole theory about few years ago when I learned more about it.

Mwilliamsll: i suspect that it is ignorance driving your desire to dismiss this science completely, not a deep understanding of it that resulted in a knowledgable critic of it, given the elementary mistaken idea i referred to above.

Big Bang Theory, the way I understood, is not a science. Actually, it is what, I believe, they called an Origin Science. Meaning that they cannot go back to the past and make any conclusion of what has happened to them. They entirely depend on things they see around them (such as rock, earth, fossils, and the like). As far as I understand, it seems to me that they try to come up with reasonable interpretations concerning presuppositions they have that give many different ideas about the origin of Universe. Of course Creationists, too, have their own different interpretations on presuppositions and they're entirely depend on the Bible (hence frameworks and eyewitnesses). I am not ignorance and I always desired to learn/investigate everything as much as I can, just as Paul tells us, "Test everything and hold on to good," (I Thessalonians 5:21). While I do not expect myself to know everything, I wanted to understand what evolutionists are trying to say about Big Bang Theory and I strongly disagree with them for the number of reasons (not just because of my beliefs alone although it does helped a lot in number of ways).

Note: English is not my first language, so if there is something you do not understand, then I'll try my best to explain more better. Thanks for your patient.

EDIT: Why are my font so big? Wow, lol.

Upvote 0

Smurfboy

May 25, 2005
✟261.00
Faith
Christian
shernren said:
If you support AiG completely, you should know that their resident astrophysicist Dr. Russell Humphreys has completely abandoned and rejected the c-decay theory proposed by Barry Setterfield (which you are supporting) in favour of his own white-hole cosmology. C-decay is only substantiated by older measurements which can be attributed to high systematic and random error within earlier experimental setups.

Where did you see that? I must have missed something, so can you show me the link so I can read the whole thing? Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Where did you see that? I must have missed something, so can you show me the link so I can read the whole thing? Thanks a lot.

Have you heard of the book Starlight and Time? In it, Dr. Russell Humphreys proposes a white-hole cosmological model to explain how the universe could have expanded to its current size and how starlight could have reached us from giga-lightyears (and father) away in the mere 6,000+ years since creation. One of the appendices in the book gives his assessment of other creationist theories, namely light-created-in-transit, Barry Setterfield's c-decay, and something to do with CMB anisotropy which I can't remember offhand now. In each case Dr. Humphreys gave a negative review. If you can't get hold of the book, let me know, and I'll see if I can find a link to this online.

(or google "c-decay", that's what the theory is commonly known as.)

Mwilliamsll: Again, let me rephrase the question. How long did it takes for heavy elements to appear from Light elements' first birth? It appears to me, as far as I'm concerned, that Evolutionists does not know the answer to that question, thus making their claims of 14 billion years old seem questionable to me. For example, in the article you provided in link, the author states, "Most of the oxygen in the present-day Universe was produced in nuclear reactions just before or during the spectacular stellar explosions known as Type II supernovae. These occur at the end of the life of stars that began with about eight times or more mass than the Sun." Notice the statement "at the end of the life of stars", this is why I quoted in my first reply: It cannot be in early first generation of the Stars, as Evolutionists might suggest, because heavy elements required extremely high temperatures, i.e. Supernova, to occurred." So think about it. Between light and heavy elements, those 'time' are missing. Could it be 40% missing? 60.546545%? Or even 99.34%?

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution
and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_nucleosynthesis

In particular:

Once a medium-size star (between 0.4 and 3.4 solar masses) has reached the red giant phase, its outer layers continue to expand, the core contracts inward, and helium begins to fuse into carbon. The fusion releases energy, granting the star a temporary reprieve. In a Sun-sized star, this process will take approximately one billion years.

(emphasis added; from first link, section "Mid-sized stars")

Note:

1. No pre-conditions are required for the star to produce heavier elements, other than that it has sufficient mass. It could start from pure hydrogen and still reach a carbon-producing stage.
2. Timeframe given is approximately one billion years, which is comfortable enough within the framework of the Big Bang.

When people tells me that Universe came from Nothing, then there's a major problem that I have in mind. For example, (someone from other site gave an excellent explanation about the flaw of Big Bang Theory). I will explain what he stated in general (sorry, I cannot remember which site I went but here goes...) Imagine that there is an enormous box, about the size of football field, and it has no window or any open around it. All of the sides are solid and nothing comes through it. Inside the box, there is Absolutely Nothing in it, meaning that there is no atom, no life form, no air, etc. How in the world can we manage to get around inside the box that'll change our life? You might think that there has to be at least a single particle inside the box, though that you still hold the view of Absolutely Nothing, then that doesn't make any sense. Do you understand what words 'Absolutely Nothing' means to you? You might think that we have to give "time" for something to happen inside the box, however the word "time", itself, doesn't change anything, literally. If I bake the cake for 15 minute and it got warm, then what did the 'time' ever do to the cake? Nothing. The heat of oven warm up the cake, not the time.

There are three problems with this: theological, practical, and theoretical. The theological problem is that theistic evolutionists believe that God was (and is) in control of science all through the universe's lifetime. God could easily have started off the Big Bang.

The practical problem with this is that we know that it is impossible to have "absolutely nothing". Practically speaking, it is impossible to create a perfect vacuum given current technology. But we know that no matter what technology is available we will never create a perfect massless vacuum (unless one tinkers with quantum physics). This is due to quantum mechanics' Uncertainty Principle, one of which is energy-time uncertainty. It (very, very, very crudely) states that the product of the amount of time over which you observe a system and the uncertainty in the amount of energy you see in the system must be larger than a positive, fixed number (hbar/2). Now, let's say you have created a perfectly massless vacuum. Since there is no mass in it its total energy must be zero (if there was energy in the form of light, the photons could inter-annihilate to produce a positron and an electron), and since we know precisely that its energy is zero, the uncertainty in its energy is also zero. However, zero times anything has to be less than a positive number! And so a perfectly massless vacuum is forbidden by quantum mechanics.

What this means is that it is inaccurate to say that the Big Bang involves the formation of "something from nothing". And there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for where the matter came from - quantum uncertainty.

The theoretical problem with this is that the Big Bang does not require a theory of something-from-nothing to be valid. Why? I've said again and again that the Big Bang falls out of trying to explain Hubble's Law, the observation, with GR, the theory. One ends up with a large family of consistent solutions to the Einstein equations in which the universe starts out in an infinitely dense state and then expands into what we observe in the present. That's all the Big Bang "needs to know" to be valid: that Hubble's Law is true (which we observe to be) and that GR works (which we have tested and found to be true). The Big Bang doesn't "need to know" how this infinitely dense point came about to be valid.

Upvote 0

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Have you heard of the book Starlight and Time? In it, Dr. Russell Humphreys proposes a white-hole cosmological model to explain how the universe could have expanded to its current size and how starlight could have reached us from giga-lightyears (and father) away in the mere 6,000+ years since creation. One of the appendices in the book gives his assessment of other creationist theories, namely light-created-in-transit, Barry Setterfield's c-decay, and something to do with CMB anisotropy which I can't remember offhand now. In each case Dr. Humphreys gave a negative review.

Read the book by all means, but don't get too excited, for these reasons:
1. Humphrey's WHC has been shot down in spectacular fashion, by both evolutionists and creationists
2. Humphrey's WHC destroys many cherished YECist arguments (eg. supernova remnants, stellar evolution)
3. Humphrey's WHC is hypocritical in that it tries to make the universe "young" while giving its component stars and galaxies ages of billions of years

At the end of the day, you're still left with nothing plausible to replace Big Bang with.

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Read the book by all means, but don't get too excited, for these reasons:
1. Humphrey's WHC has been shot down in spectacular fashion, by both evolutionists and creationists
2. Humphrey's WHC destroys many cherished YECist arguments (eg. supernova remnants, stellar evolution)
3. Humphrey's WHC is hypocritical in that it tries to make the universe "young" while giving its component stars and galaxies ages of billions of years

At the end of the day, you're still left with nothing plausible to replace Big Bang with.

But he does a pretty good job of shooting down the other creationist theories. :p the enemy of my enemy ...

Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
Smurfboy said:
Shernren: Ah, Starlight and Time. I have yet to read this book, however I will take a look at it (if I can.) I think I've heard about C-Decay but not as much. I will take a further look into this as well. By the way, judge by your comments, you support Evolutionists, right? Just wondering.

I really don't think it's so much support evolutionists, but support science. You'll find that all people known as evolutionists here more or less support science rather just support evolution.

Upvote 0

shernren

Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Shernren: Ah, Starlight and Time. I have yet to read this book, however I will take a look at it (if I can.) I think I've heard about C-Decay but not as much. I will take a further look into this as well. By the way, judge by your comments, you support Evolutionists, right? Just wondering.

Right now I'm just an armchair evolutionist :p hopefully someday I'll be able to get my hands dirty to test whether it really works. Until then, yes, I'm an evolutionist. Why?

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Going back to the OP, no I don't think that the Big Bang is the event in response to "Let there be light." It might be, but I don't think so. The Big Bang regards change in what already is. Even if we say that the matter was produced through quantum tunneling (and, here, I'm speaking way over my own head), surely we can say that the laws governing string theory were already present. Changes in what is don't constitute "the beginning" in my understanding.

In other words, I don't think creation deals exclusively with matter. It may not deal with matter at all. Time and matter may be way after the fact (ontologically speaking). Again, I'm talking above myself, so my response comes from my all-too-limited understanding of such things. However, it is what I think as of now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Willtor said:
Going back to the OP, no I don't think that the Big Bang is the event in response to "Let there be light." It might be, but I don't think so.

As far as my understanding goes, the universe was opaque to electromagnetic radiation (i.e. light) until the Cosmic Microwave Background was emitted. The CMB dates from some time after the very beginning. So there was no light right at the biginning.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jereth said:
As far as my understanding goes, the universe was opaque to electromagnetic radiation (i.e. light) until the Cosmic Microwave Background was emitted. The CMB dates from some time after the very beginning. So there was no light right at the biginning.

As I don't subscribe to the historical, factual interpretation of Genesis, none of that is a big deal. You might as well ask how God could have said such a thing without air to pass over His vocal cords.

Upvote 0

jereth

Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Willtor said:
As I don't subscribe to the historical, factual interpretation of Genesis, none of that is a big deal. You might as well ask how God could have said such a thing without air to pass over His vocal cords.

:thumbsup: Agreed. Trying to fit the Genesis 1 events to actual historical events is totally on the wrong track.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jereth said:
:thumbsup: Agreed. Trying to fit the Genesis 1 events to actual historical events is totally on the wrong track.

However, when I use, "Let there be light," I am referring to God's act of creation, which I do think occurred. In that case, to the best of my understanding, the Big Bang doesn't fit the bill as it describes a change in what already is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
shernren said:
Have you heard of the book Starlight and Time? In it, Dr. Russell Humphreys proposes a white-hole cosmological model to explain how the universe could have expanded to its current size and how starlight could have reached us from giga-lightyears (and father) away in the mere 6,000+ years since creation. One of the appendices in the book gives his assessment of other creationist theories, namely light-created-in-transit, Barry Setterfield's c-decay, and something to do with CMB anisotropy which I can't remember offhand now. In each case Dr. Humphreys gave a negative review. If you can't get hold of the book, let me know, and I'll see if I can find a link to this online.

(or google "c-decay", that's what the theory is commonly known as.)

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_evolution
and this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_nucleosynthesis

In particular:

Once a medium-size star (between 0.4 and 3.4 solar masses) has reached the red giant phase, its outer layers continue to expand, the core contracts inward, and helium begins to fuse into carbon. The fusion releases energy, granting the star a temporary reprieve. In a Sun-sized star, this process will take approximately one billion years.

(emphasis added; from first link, section "Mid-sized stars")

Note:

1. No pre-conditions are required for the star to produce heavier elements, other than that it has sufficient mass. It could start from pure hydrogen and still reach a carbon-producing stage.
2. Timeframe given is approximately one billion years, which is comfortable enough within the framework of the Big Bang.

There are three problems with this: theological, practical, and theoretical. The theological problem is that theistic evolutionists believe that God was (and is) in control of science all through the universe's lifetime. God could easily have started off the Big Bang.

The practical problem with this is that we know that it is impossible to have "absolutely nothing". Practically speaking, it is impossible to create a perfect vacuum given current technology. But we know that no matter what technology is available we will never create a perfect massless vacuum (unless one tinkers with quantum physics). This is due to quantum mechanics' Uncertainty Principle, one of which is energy-time uncertainty. It (very, very, very crudely) states that the product of the amount of time over which you observe a system and the uncertainty in the amount of energy you see in the system must be larger than a positive, fixed number (hbar/2). Now, let's say you have created a perfectly massless vacuum. Since there is no mass in it its total energy must be zero (if there was energy in the form of light, the photons could inter-annihilate to produce a positron and an electron), and since we know precisely that its energy is zero, the uncertainty in its energy is also zero. However, zero times anything has to be less than a positive number! And so a perfectly massless vacuum is forbidden by quantum mechanics.

What this means is that it is inaccurate to say that the Big Bang involves the formation of "something from nothing". And there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for where the matter came from - quantum uncertainty.

The theoretical problem with this is that the Big Bang does not require a theory of something-from-nothing to be valid. Why? I've said again and again that the Big Bang falls out of trying to explain Hubble's Law, the observation, with GR, the theory. One ends up with a large family of consistent solutions to the Einstein equations in which the universe starts out in an infinitely dense state and then expands into what we observe in the present. That's all the Big Bang "needs to know" to be valid: that Hubble's Law is true (which we observe to be) and that GR works (which we have tested and found to be true). The Big Bang doesn't "need to know" how this infinitely dense point came about to be valid.

Precisely. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.